DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI, Giving "Made in China" a new meaning...

flumpet

Reactions
DJI has been astounding us with their excellent products for a long time. Their drones are top notch and the software that comes with it is really excellent. It's amazing to think how many people around the world use their products. Their phantoms and inspires are widely used by film-makers and now with the release of the Mavic Pro, everyone isl excited once again.

Sometimes it's amazing to think that DJI is a Mainland Chinese company. We always associated Made in China products as cheap and inferior to products made elsewhere, but not DJI.

Quite incredible if you think about it.

Just my 2c

If you are of an older generation, you'll remember Japanese products were seen in the same light, whilst moribund western companies sat on their 'we've always done it that way' attitudes, British car and motorcycle industries were decimated by arrogant unions and terrible mismanagement, and I hate to say it, deservedly so.. Now, the Chinese have found a niche and they excel, I have a Eachine €12 that's a delight, a P3P (with a few cracks in the shell, so not quite perfect) and soon, a Mavic Pro. I would not even look elsewhere. GoPro sounds a bit like another moribund manufacturer, blowing their trumpet about how good the mediocre performing Karma is, with only one clever idea, the removable gimbal. There will still be people that say it's 'oriental rubbish' and stick to home produced stuff out of some misplaced loyalty, I learnt that lesson in the early 70's..

Reactions: Kestrel
National Pride is all well and good, but when you are spending your hard earned money you want the best you can get for it, and if that means getting it from some other country then so be it. The Unions here in the US have done the same, demanded so much they drove the company's overseas, but as the standard of living (cost) goes up in those places the manufactures are starting to come back. The higher import and transportation costs offsetting any savings from a cheaper work force.

All part of globalisation, as the demand for products goes up, so do wages and conditions, and the prices and quality come to parity. I can see India 'doing' China in a decade or two (except they inherited the British bureaucracy, that may hold them back) Who knows, in 100 years time Ethiopia may be an industrial powerhouse..

Reactions: F6Rider
They have the best looking suicide nets at the factories too.

Suicide+nets+at+apples+factory+in+china_2d0594_5098983.png

Really? That doesn't say much for upper management, haven't seen anything like that. Is that really what they are for?

Yes, that is what they're for. Have been to Shenzhen and Guangzhou and was absolutely shocked the first time I saw them. Foxconn, where Apple products are manufactured has received lots of very bad publicity about this problem over the years. Very sad.

They have the best looking suicide nets at the factories too.

Suicide+nets+at+apples+factory+in+china_2d0594_5098983.png
Maybe if they had the arrogant unions there they would be able to remove those nets ,but than they could reuse them Over in the U.S. we're the unions are on a decline and I know my kids could be safe while they're only making 10 bucks an hour part time and no insurance.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
I had the pleasure of having been to China too, in the late 70's. Absolutely fascinating place, I was in Shanghai, no suicide nets then I have to admit, but just 15 years previously tens of millions had starved, that's TENS of MILLIONS. Which is worse, I'd say starvation, but then I'm from a country where half the population starved or emigrated 170 years ago.

Yes it is, Honorable Suicide is part of the culture.

Your confusion between Japanese and Chinese cultures is twice uncalled for.

Firstly, because it reinforces and dissiminates a common misconception.

Secondly, because, in this context, it trivialises a sad state of affairs, a state brought along by globalisation mixed with savage business practices.

MK

Your confusion between Japanese and Chinese cultures is twice uncalled for.

Firstly, because it reinforces and dissiminates a common misconception.

Secondly, because, in this context, it trivialises a sad state of affairs, a state brought along by globalisation mixed with savage business practices.

MK
So why are you buying a Mavic? It just supports the company behind some of the 'Savage Business Practices' you refer too.
Also, you misspelled both 'disseminates' & 'trivializes', if you want to impress up with your vocabulary at least use a spell checker.

Part of an in-depth study done on Suicide in China:

The pattern of suicide in China is different from that of the West, where suicide is more common in men and in urban areas, Kleinman said. In China, suicide is more common in women than in men and, since 70% of China's 1.2 billion people live in rural areas, 90% of the suicides occur there. Fifty percent of all suicides in women in the world occur in China, which can partly be accounted for by the accurate reporting system of the Chinese. Among Chinese women ages 16 to 26, the suicide rate is particularly high.

"They probably always have been at high risk for suicide in Chinese society, but their suicide today seems to be related to social changes, as well as continuing social problems," Kleinman said. "For example, the paternalism in Chinese families has often led to abuse of women, especially young women. They have been forced into marriages, or had their futures cut off. Additionally, there is the classic difficulty of relationships between daughters-in-law and mothers-in-law, but that has been intensified by economic developments of the last two decades which, if anything, have sort of worsened the situation of rural women."

Another factor could be the one-child-per-couple policy in China. Kleinman and colleague Sing Lee, M.D., at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, wrote in an article, "Although it reduces the risk of population explosion and is accepted by urban dwellers, it may constitute a major blow to disempowered young women in many rural areas. Having more sons and grandsons is essential for raising these women's inferior status in a social world that is still largely ruled by patriarchal values" (Lee and Kleinman, 1997).

A surprising element of the suicide story in China is that women and men 55 years and older are at increasing risk, even though Chinese society has always been thought of as valuing the elderly, Kleinman added.

"This is a highly complex problem that people are just beginning to look into. Part of it may be that the elderly themselves, in a very Confucian way, respond to the burden that they are on younger people by committing suicide as a way of controlling resources that are scarce," he said. Additionally, as economic and social forces change, some elderly people in China are being isolated and uncared for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex Baxter
So why are you buying a Mavic? It just supports the company behind some of the 'Savage Business Practices' you refer too.
Also, you misspelled both 'disseminates' & 'trivializes', if you want to impress up with your vocabulary at least use a spell checker.

I am crushed by the level of argumentation.

...so much so that I am starting to consider that, yes, maybe suicide is, in fact, a cultural trait.

Yes, that is what they're for. Have been to Shenzhen and Guangzhou and was absolutely shocked the first time I saw them. Foxconn, where Apple products are manufactured has received lots of very bad publicity about this problem over the years. Very sad.

i wouldn't be surprised that some dji components are made there, Foxconn is the place to go when you have to do complex circuitry.

even big players with their own factories use them like samsung or sony

Foxconn is the second largest shareholder of GoPro inc, no way DJI will use it to manufacture its product. in fact Foxconn may be too busy with production of Karma Drone.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

DJI has been astounding us with their excellent products for a long time. Their drones are top notch and the software that comes with it is really excellent. It's amazing to think how many people around the world use their products. Their phantoms and inspires are widely used by film-makers and now with the release of the Mavic Pro, everyone isl excited once again.

Sometimes it's amazing to think that DJI is a Mainland Chinese company. We always associated Made in China products as cheap and inferior to products made elsewhere, but not DJI.

Quite incredible if you think about it.

Just my 2c

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I always *assumed* DJI was an American company. Imagine my surprise when I learnt they were Chinese, for all the same reasons you mentioned above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143