DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go 4 just keeps getting worse...

Fishstiq

Reactions
I have had my Mavic since just before Christmas. I fly using the Nvidia Shield K1. The drone and app worked great for me, never had any app crashes or anything funky at all happen. Then a couple weeks ago Go 4 got an update, and suddenly it's crashing mid flight all the time. I found I couldn't get more than about 10 minutes of flight tops without a random app crash. A couple days ago I got a notification for another Go 4 update, and I installed it hoping the issues would be fixed. Unfortunately the app is now worse! Not only does it still crash, and more often than before, but it also doesn't show the correct info on the map regarding where the drone is or where home is or in what direction.

The only thing I use my Shield for is flying my Mavic. The only app on it is DJI Go 4. Is anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas about how to fix it? Options in the K1 or anything? Right now I'm feeling like running the Mavic with Go 4 is like running a Ferrari with a hamster wheel.

Any help or thoughts or things I can do to help with this issue would be appreciated. Also anyone using a Shield K1 who is having similar issues please chime in :). Thanks in advance.

Uninstall dji go 4 and then delete all the folder the app creates. Then reinstall.

Fixed my issues. [emoji108]

Casted from my throne using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've seen suggestions for setting devices to airplane mode and opening the app in portrait then turning to landscape after although I've not tried these myself.

I did have trouble with the latest update on my phone which has generally been fine aside from the odd crash, I climbed the drone up to 120m height and the app crashed. When I relaunched it I had a static corrupted image, I tried removing the cable and putting it back in which gave me a black image then the phone locked up entirely on the DJI app which is a first. I landed the drone, powered it off, the phone and the controller then started it all back up again which worked fine but didn't fly it far.

I've seen the recommendation above to delete the DJI folders (make sure you've synced your flight logs and saved any of the cached video/images you want) so decided to go one step further and just wipe the entire device and only reinstall DJI Go as this phone is only for the Mavic. I had it out for a couple of flights today and it behaved itself fine although it's hard to say for certain as I find the behaviour very inconsistent.

John

So I did a factory reset on my K1, then reinstalled Go 4 and synched all the flight records. Turned off Wi-Fi and put the tablet in airplane mode. I'll try flying tomorrow and see how it goes.

Well i have flown about 8 times with the shield. APP crashed on one of the the flights. i have flown hundreds of times on iOS not a single drop.

Reactions: maverickau
Well i have flown about 8 times with the shield. APP crashed on one of the the flights. i have flown hundreds of times on iOS not a single drop.

Currently 133 flights on my Mavic, no problems on the first 125 or so with my K1 setup. I assumed iOS would have more stability but I've never had any apple products. I've been considering an iPad pro for flying the Mav and for some light video editing on the go, depending on how this goes maybe I'll take the plunge sooner than later.

Currently 133 flights on my Mavic, no problems on the first 125 or so with my K1 setup. I assumed iOS would have more stability but I've never had any apple products. I've been considering an iPad pro for flying the Mav and for some light video editing on the go, depending on how this goes maybe I'll take the plunge sooner than later.
I would continue to test the shield. My results with only a few flights are not reliable. I will keep flying the shield and see what happens.

Reactions: dmilewski
I am a newbie, bought the whole package in mid December, use an iPhone 6+ and have done three complete firmware upgrades as prompted. If all is normal with a happy compass configuration it usually flies reliably. But if not it may go screaming off a mile away. Does anyone know how to change modes ( like get out of tripod mode into standard mode) without landing??

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I fly MP with K1. After Android 7 and GO4 app upgrade, I had six flights and had at least one crash/disconnect per flight. I initially started flying MP with iPhone 6 for about 20 flights without any issue.

I am a newbie, bought the whole package in mid December, use an iPhone 6+ and have done three complete firmware upgrades as prompted. If all is normal with a happy compass configuration it usually flies reliably. But if not it may go screaming off a mile away. Does anyone know how to change modes ( like get out of tripod mode into standard mode) without landing??

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I have tried cinematic mode, and one red color x will show up at left hand side of the screen, click that x button to exit or change mode.

Reactions: dmilewski
It does seem some devices have a problem which might be caused due to a separate set of DJI folders if you have or had previously the older go app installed.
So definitely worth trying full uninstall followed by deleting all DJI Folders on the device - then clean install of one or the other.
Go4 is the way to go if at all possile.
The separation will only increase over time.

I don't think it much matters what else you have installed provided nothing intensive is still running.
All seems fine on my Galaxy S5 which is not exactly cutting edge and there's loads of stuff on it :oops:

I had a few app crashes when I first started flying the Mavic. I read somewhere that you can stop it from happening by putting your phone into 'airplane mode' before doing anything else.

And you know what? I haven;'t had an app crash since!

Hope this helps.

Have you updated your Shield to Android 7? MANY people are reporting issues with that, best to stay on 6.

Because technically that's for the Phantoms 1-3.
Phantoms 4, Inspire, Mavic etc "are supposed to" use Go 4.
It has an option for the Mavic too, granted it says you can't use all the features of the Mavic with it but all the basics are there like obstacle avoidance and stuff like that. I guess if you wanted to use active track you have to use Go 4, I dunno I never tried to use it though.

Use Litchi.
It works pretty well with the SHIELD K1 et the Mavic.
Under Android 7.
No need to turn airplane on or whatever kinky setting with the tablet.
I also have the same crash of DJI GO4 since last update (of the app).
But I don't have no problem with Litchi.

Reactions: Rnl and Fishstiq
So after a factory reset of my k1 and fresh clean install of go 4, the app crashed about 6 minutes into my first test flight. Complete failure. Its pretty unbelievable to me that this app is DJI's companion to their drones.
So now I'm going 2 ways. 1, try litchi and see if its more stable as some have said and hope I don't have a problem since it seems DJI refresh is questionable when using 3rd party apps. 2, try iOS. I'm in the market for a new tablet anyway. Maybe I'll pick up an iPad since reports are that iOS seems less prone to crashes.

Reactions: Anthonyk

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu