DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO 4 new version adds Quickshot

Still willing to bet it's mostly unused.

At least for me
I agree 100%. When I first started to use Active Track I saw an issue with RTH. Most people would not understand everything and simply leave RTH as usual, returning to the take off point. I saw this as creating a LOT of problems. My recommendation would have to put a warning or option when starting Active Track to change that setting to Hover. That is the setting I _HIGHLY_ recommend when using Active Track. I also don't see the point in Dynamic home point over Hover. Actually, I see Hover as a better solution in every case.

.... Most people would not understand everything and simply leave RTH as usual, returning to the take off point... My recommendation would have to put a warning or option when starting Active Track to change that setting to Hover. That is the setting I _HIGHLY_ recommend when using Active Track. I also don't see the point in Dynamic home point over Hover. Actually, I see Hover as a better solution in every case.
I am confused.
Isn't hover just what it always does when active track aborts or you elect to exit this intelligent flight mode? Nothing to set or understand wrt RTH.

It will only RTH if one of the 3 RTH triggers occurs. If I was tracking a boat out in the middle of a lake and active track lost contact, it would initially hover. Eventually though, low battery RTH will trigger and at that stage the last thing I want is it to continue hovering and land in a lake. I would want it to RTH to where I am at.

I took a look in all the setting in DJIGo and could not see a toggle for this new Dynamic HP, that periodically sets the aircraft as HP. But I did not get airborne to look inside intelligent flight modes. Perhaps there is a toggle therein.
I will be interested to see some actual user feedback from those who have observed and used this new feature. For example is it interactive allowing you to defer or cancel it entirely.

Last edited:
I think the reason dynamic HP is AC rather than RC is because there's a few that have had fly aways due to phone not having GPS and the app remembering the location of previous app launch

Reactions: Logger
I think perhaps it is the Dronie, Spiral Helix and Rocket shot modes that are available on the spark.

Update also adds Dynamic homepoint that creeps along with the aircraft (not the remote).

Spiral looks like Point of Interest no ??

I agree 100%. When I first started to use Active Track I saw an issue with RTH. Most people would not understand everything and simply leave RTH as usual, returning to the take off point. I saw this as creating a LOT of problems. My recommendation would have to put a warning or option when starting Active Track to change that setting to Hover. That is the setting I _HIGHLY_ recommend when using Active Track. I also don't see the point in Dynamic home point over Hover. Actually, I see Hover as a better solution in every case.

I think new dynamic home point auto (every 15m) is designed mainly for WIFI or gesture connections (mavic, or spark). But I think when "trigger" RTH, it will remain hovering.
You must consider if you are using SPARK with gesture mode, if it starts RTH... it will goes at a long distance... unable to get control ¨(with gesture) or try.... or even with PHONE and wifi....
in this way, it will stop and will back to 15m before... then you can try with gesture to land, or connect with wifi.

In fact, it´s supposed this Dynamic home point auto, it will work as you say.... you can use active track, and if it fails... it will remain hovering.

Regards

I tested Quickshot a few times today...works great. Though I could certainly do this type of flying - it's nice to just hit a button. It did really well even in strong wind gusts today. Unfortunately it wouldn't let me hit the record button at all, no matter what I did. Would have me stop recording before I even go into Quickshot mode too. So I thought maybe it was automatically recording - maybe? No such luck. Hopefully it's the firmware update that's coming that will complete this? Not sure.

is it PANORAMA MODE?

No, man, that does not address the new home point functionality, just the Quickshot functionality. Still wondering.

TheLightSpeed asked why someone would want to update the home point to the drones current location. I linked to my post #9 which explains that in Active Track you probably don't want the Mavic flying all the way back to the home point as that could be miles away.

Are you wondering why someone would want to use DHP an not just RTH? Let's say you use Active Track to follow you while you drive down a long trail, or skateboard a few miles. You loose signal. If you have the Mavic set to RTH, it's going to fly back to the launch point. This could be 2 miles, 3, miles or 10 miles away. It's going to fly away from you and _attempt_ to make it all the way back to the launch point. Good luck! It's not going to make it and its going to attempt to land at some random point. You probably won't ever find it. What should be done is RTH should have been set to a home point that is either updated (DHP) or Hover.

I'm not saying that DHP is better than Hover, I don't think it is. But DHP could be used instead of RTH.

I think new dynamic home point auto (every 15m) is designed mainly for WIFI or gesture connections (mavic, or spark). But I think when "trigger" RTH, it will remain hovering.
You must consider if you are using SPARK with gesture mode, if it starts RTH... it will goes at a long distance... unable to get control ¨(with gesture) or try.... or even with PHONE and wifi....
in this way, it will stop and will back to 15m before... then you can try with gesture to land, or connect with wifi.

In fact, it´s supposed this Dynamic home point auto, it will work as you say.... you can use active track, and if it fails... it will remain hovering.
But as mentioned above, this means DHP is almost identical to Hover.

I see DHP as being worse. It's going to fly back, up to 15m and (IMO), land. What is it landing on? Keep in mind, it's in Active Track or Gesture mode so it's pretty close to you anyway. Why would a setting of Hover not be better? You are telling it, just sit right where you are and don't move from your safe location while I try to reconnect. If I can't reconnect, just land right there at 10% battery. DHP just means it flies back up to 15m and lands.

To me it would make perfect sense to have the DHP be the current location of the _controller_.

I think the reason dynamic HP is AC rather than RC is because there's a few that have had fly aways due to phone not having GPS and the app remembering the location of previous app launch

Good point. Thank you for posting that.

I am confused.
Isn't hover just what it always does when active track aborts or you elect to exit this intelligent flight mode? Nothing to set or understand wrt RTH.

It will only RTH if one of the 3 RTH triggers occurs. If I was tracking a boat out in the middle of a lake and active track lost contact, it would initially hover. Eventually though, low battery RTH will trigger and at that stage the last thing I want is it to continue hovering and land in a lake. I would want it to RTH to where I am at.

Oh no... it will RTH, just as you have it set. Home Point is wherever it took off! It does hover for 3 seconds when signal is lost so you can regain control and cancel. But otherwise, it's following it's settings. I don't know that DJI has ever changed this but I've had it attempt to do just that. It's not a great feeling

Can't you already do that by having it return to current location of the controller ?

I tested Quickshot a few times today...works great. Though I could certainly do this type of flying - it's nice to just hit a button. It did really well even in strong wind gusts today. Unfortunately it wouldn't let me hit the record button at all, no matter what I did. Would have me stop recording before I even go into Quickshot mode too. So I thought maybe it was automatically recording - maybe? No such luck. Hopefully it's the firmware update that's coming that will complete this? Not sure.

How about the record button on the rc??

Can't you already do that by having it return to current location of the controller ?

That has never been an option the Mavic. It was mentioned above, DJI _may_ have removed this as a feature because it always relied on GPS from the display device and this may cause issues.

To clarify - In this particular Dynamic HP implementation, it is the aircraft current position that is periodically set as the home point, not the controller (mobile device) location. This is an important distinction to note, so as not to get caught out. Whereas Litchi does it in the manner you described based on the mobile device location fed to the controller. Both implementations have their pitfalls.

I stand corrected, thank you.

YES, Simply swipe from right to left on the main DJIGo4 camera view Screen. Select HomePoint:Me

upload_2017-9-20_8-17-30.png

So long as your mobile device has a GPS fix, it will update the home point to the controller.

Last edited:
YES, Simply swipe from right to left on the main DJIGo4 Screen. Select HomePoint:Me

View attachment 21901

So long as your mobile device has a GPS fix, it will update the home point to the controller.
I'd like to take a look at that as I've not seen tit before. Where is it located? Was this added with the last release? Thanks.

Reactions: JMF
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots