DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji go 4 will auto update firmware?

bucefalo

Reactions
Hello everyone,
yes that sounds like a real noob question ahaha
so after many years of using MODDED dji app , no wi've got mavic 2 pro ( second hand )
and i'm using DJI go 4 official app.
I don't want any auto firmware update.. questions:

1 - the app does see new firmwares , will they be pushed automatically?

2- do i have to allow update ?

3 - anything i can do to avoid the firmware updates?

thank you :)

In my experience of updating ........ the updating of firmware, the app and anything else is optional, just decline them or cancel them.
You could of course switch wifi off.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucefalo
Hello everyone,
so after many years of using MODDED dji app , no wi've got mavic 2 pro ( second hand )
and i'm using DJI go 4 official app.
I don't want any auto firmware update.. questions:

3 - anything i can do to avoid the firmware updates?

thank you :)
Activate LDM (Local Data Mode) in the GO4 app privacy settings menu then activate airplane mode on the mobile device you use as the flight screen. This stops internet connectivity and also stops the "update firmware" pester screens.

Hello everyone,
:)
If you are unfamiliar with obstacle avoidance then I strongly suggest you switch it off for your first few flights, my mavic 2 came with it switched on and in my first flight it nearly cost me the drone ...... because I didn't know wtf it was doing.

I would also STRONGLY suggest you ensure that the failsafe/disconnection option is set to "RTH" and that the emergency motor stop option is set to "Breakdown"

For the above read the manual

Last edited:
While I don't think GO4 has ever updated anything without permission, I have a fuzzy, cobweb-recollection of GO4 grounding us and refusing to allow motor start until an update.

Then again, I could easily be remembering this wrong. Any other old crusties recall this?

While I don't think GO4 has ever updated anything without permission, I have a fuzzy, cobweb-recollection of GO4 grounding us and refusing to allow motor start until an update.

Then again, I could easily be remembering this wrong. Any other old crusties recall this?
I still have a M2P that I fly at times. It has old firmware. It does acknowledge that an update is available every time it starts, but it does offer an Ignore option. I hit Ignore and GO4 starts. This has never kept me from flying. Hope this helps.

If your phone or tablet has internet connection and newer firmware is available, the app will tell you.
Whether you choose to update the firmware is up to you.
i-pr8cbQj-M.jpg

Would you elaborate on this thought please. Always up for learning something new.
My first flight was in the garden and low, the garden is surrounded by hedges and trees, I ended up with the drone about 7-8ft up and refusing to approach me and the landing point or pretty much move in any direction. I don't remember for sure if it refused to descend but if it had descended it would have clipped the hedge. I hadn't flown an OA drone before and didn't know what was going on, my fault obviously.
I recollect having to jump for the drone and snatch it out of the air.
When I subsequently switched the OA off there was were no such problems.

Again, entirely my fault but if the OP is unfamiliar with OA then forewarned is somewhat fore armed.

Last edited:
guys first of all thank you to all of you for getting back to me .
So the only reason why i would keep connection on is at least at the begin to load the map in dji go.. just that.
It's more than enough to know that it will NOT autp update firmware without my authorization .. knowing dji i would not be surprised lol.
thank you for the precious info.
@Yorkshire_Pud about the obstacle avoidance .. how much different from mavic 1 it is ? cause with mavic 1 i'd take off and land ( manually) within trees and never had any " no sir i'm not landing there " lol .
thank you thought to remind me to check other things .
anyway.. since u all being so lovely i think i'll share the video " how i crashed my 10,almost, years old mavic " lol

how much different from mavic 1 it is ?
Don't know, sorry but if you are experienced with OA then disregard the comment.
I am certain that in one of the manuals I have read DJI said that, for that drone, OA was automatically switched off during either or perhaps both, an automated landing and or the RTH automated landing but I have never been able to find that again.

OA, if on, is probably not a problem during a pure vertical descent from RTH height, (check the manual ) I rarely, if ever, use it full stop - hence probably. But my problem stemmed from being low and trying to move horizontally, OA saw the hedges, trees, house and probably me.
OA as such is horizontal and UPWARDS.
The downward looking sensors are classed as a different system, VPS & perhaps you could include landing protection with VPS, though landing protection uses emitted IR whereas VPS and OA use visible light.
and never had any " no sir i'm not landing there "
OA will not stop a landing but VPS can, if it dislikes the landing area. I've seen "no sir I'm not landing there" a time or two.
Sideways looking OA is, from memory, only on in Tripod mode and not as good as the fore aft OA so be careful with it.

"OA as such is horizontal and upwards" brought to mind one other thing, I don't know if the mavic 1 has it.

The mavic 2 has an upward looking sensor that is normally on, even if OA is off. It's a curse indoors, this sensor is only switched off in sports mode.
This sensor exerts a LOT of authority, taking off in daft places I have had it limit the drone's height to a couple of inches, I am not kidding.
I have also lowered my hand over a hovering Mavic 2 and it, the sensor, forced the drone to the ground i.e. it over rode landing protection, as soon as I took my hand away the drone climbed to at least the landing protection minimum, I don't remember if it went higher.

One other sneeky setting is "current altitude" which can 'mess' with RTH behaviour.

Read the RTH section CAREFULLY, DJI have a habit of altering RTH behaviour for each new drone, so the M2P may behave differently from the mavic 1.

Last edited:
Don't know, sorry but if you are experienced with OA then disregard the comment.
I am certain that in one of the manuals I have read DJI said that, for that drone, OA was automatically switched off during either or perhaps both, an automated landing and or the RTH automated landing but I have never been able to find that again.

OA, if on, is probably not a problem during a pure vertical descent from RTH height, (check the manual ) I rarely, if ever, use it full stop - hence probably, but my problem stemmed from being low and trying to move horizontally, OA saw the hedges, trees, house and probably me.
OA as such is horizontal and UPWARDS. The downward looking sensors are classed as a different system, VPS & perhaps you could include landing protection with VPS though landing protection uses emitted IR whereas VPS and OA use visible light.

OA will not stop a landing but VPS can, if it dislikes the landing area, I've seen "no sir I'm not landing there" a time or two.
Sideways looking OA is, from memory, only on in Tripod mode and not as good as the fore aft OA so be careful with it.

"OA as such is horizontal and upwards" brought to mind one other thing, I don't know if the mavic 1 has it.
The mavic 2 has an upward looking sensor that is normally on, even if OA is off. It's a curse indoors, this sensor is only switched off in sports mode.
This sensor exerts a LOT of authority, taking off in daft places I have had it limit the drone's height to a couple of inches, I am not kidding.
I have also lowered my hand over a hovering Mavic 2 and it, the sensor, forced the drone to the ground i.e. it over rode landing protection, as soon as I took my hand away the drone climbed to at least the landing protection minimum, I don't remember if it went higher.

One other sneeky setting "current altitude" which can 'mess' with RTH behaviour.
Read the RTH section CAREFULLY, DJI have a habit of altering RTH behaviour for each new drone, so the M2P may behave differently from the mavic 1.
thank you so much for this detailed post, defintely i'll need to do some test before going wild as i did with my loved mavic 1 !!

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reejhman singh