DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Go App crashed - flight logs

Eyvindj

Reactions
I would love some input on a flight that had me puzzled a bit. I was testing camera settings by flying approx 2m over some water in order to challenge the camera settings flying with light from the back and front. On this flight i noticed the Mavic ascending and descending a little bit during the flight after which the DJI App crashed. I kept flying while reloading the app again after which a warning message restricting the flight appeared. I flew back to base, landed and powered everything down and up again after which no problems were encountered. But what happened? If anyone can provide me with some insights then I would be grateful. Links below.

I suspect that the vertical avoidance system could have confused the app owing to the low flight over water. I am aware of the various threads on this subject - but I did not suspect it could outright cause the app to crash...

Thanks in advance for any input afforded.

CSV:
2017-08-27_15-41-38_Standard.csv

KML:
Airdata-37b09b8a794b56a992eade8e32d0d30f.kml

Airdata share:
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

"flying approx 2m over some water"

Maybe a 1202 type alarm where there was too much information coming from the sensors due to the close proximity to water and the app threw up. I don't know how to read the flight logs, but from what I have researched, flying low over water is bad ju-ju.

Reactions: Eyvindj
I doubt the crash has anything to do with the situation. Happens sometimes, must be ready for it.

I doubt the crash has anything to do with the situation. Happens sometimes, must be ready for it.

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe if the title was "Flying around like I normally do, doing nothing different, and my app crashed". Seems to me the flight was out of the ordinary and the MP was having trouble flying low over water (which is a known issue) when the app crashed.

Returning to "normal" flight doesn't replicate the error.

I've read when flying low over water,to turn the bottom sensors off. It seems that they get confused with the reflections on the water. I constantly fly over water with my sensors on,but not very low.

Reactions: BuzzyOne
I've read when flying low over water,to turn the bottom sensors off. It seems that they get confused with the reflections on the water. I constantly fly over water with my sensors on,but not very low.
Input appreciated!

I have since tried to replicate the error by flying in a similar way, but there has been no incidents like this again. The second time there appeared to be a little ripple on the water (no sensor confusing?) compared to first time, where it was flat still (sensor getting confused by still water?). Having weighed up the information re flying over water I tend not to disable any avoidance systems and (just) be very aware of not initiating landing...

Input appreciated!

I have since tried to replicate the error by flying in a similar way, but there has been no incidents like this again. The second time there appeared to be a little ripple on the water (no sensor confusing?) compared to first time, where it was flat still (sensor getting confused by still water?). Having weighed up the information re flying over water I tend not to disable any avoidance systems and (just) be very aware of not initiating landing...

It's all good until it thinks it's near the ground and you want to land. It then takes over control and does a slow descent into a watery grave.

I was doing some testing with camera settings and had flights across the water retention ponds in the forground without a problem,but I was also flying just above 200AGL.Water Flight 1.JPGWater Flight 2.JPG

I was doing some testing with camera settings and had flights across the water retention ponds in the forground without a problem,but I was also flying just above 200AGL.

Not the same at all. The issue is only when you are very near water, few meters. Also, large bodies of water like open lakes and oceans seem to be more risky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR