Join Us Now

DJI GO App crashes when record function is triggered

AirScape

Reactions
Drone: Mavic Pro
Phone: HTC One - Android 5.0.2
App: DJI GO 4 - v4.0.7

Hi Everyone,

I have read through these threads and I don't believe I've seen this issue mentioned yet, even though I have seen plenty of references to the App Crashing!

In a nutshell this is what I'm experiencing. Once all set up and online and connected, if I trigger the video record feature from either the controller or the App, the App hangs and asks if I’d like to report the issue... which I've done. I have done the usual things that dji support suggested like, format the SD card, clear the video cache, reinstall the App... etc. Once I mentioned I was using a HTC One phone, the customer support guy basically washed his hands of the issue and said it's not supported. Even though initially the App was working fine on my phone. From the error logs on the phone, the first recorded instance of this issue was 22nd April 2017 and the last a few hours ago and the time in between. This is becoming very annoying and the dji help... isn't helpful!

I've uninstalled the DJI GO App, then went on to my phone and cleared out any residual App files then reinstalled a completely clean version. Reduced the load on my phone, cleaned out any junk files, made sure nothing was running in the background and I even run with flight mode on... nothing makes a difference.

This is the error message that's generated at the time of each crash:-
java.nio.BufferOverflowException
at java.nio.ByteBuffer.put(ByteBuffer.java:787)
at dji.midware.media.b.a(Unknown Source)
at dji.midware.media.c.a(Unknown Source)
at dji.midware.media.c.g(Unknown Source)
at dji.midware.media.c$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)

I even gave this error log message to dji customer support, only to be told my phone's not supported!
I've even Googled this, but the results on this topic are vast! I can apply a work around for now, but I'd like to have this resolved if possible.

Is anyone else having this issue, or know of a solution which would be very much appreciated?

Solution is simple: Get an iOS device. No java, no crashes. Best choice is an iPad mini 4!

I don't like Apple products so this is not an option.
I tested this uing my Samsung Android Tablet and it works fine.
Well....many people here don't like Apple products but chose to go Apple for their Mavic anyway as they value their drone.

Crashing software can be a risk.

Due to the nature of Android and the many different systems, version, screen size, CPUs, etc. it is doubtful DJI will ever be able to make a totally stable Android version. I know what I am talking about as I develop software for both platforms.

I value my drone too, and the bug I'm seeing won't crash my drone as the controller is always reactive and the Mavic is always in VLOS.

Drone: Mavic Pro
Phone: HTC One - Android 5.0.2
App: DJI GO 4 - v4.0.7

Hi Everyone,

I have read through these threads and I don't believe I've seen this issue mentioned yet, even though I have seen plenty of references to the App Crashing!

In a nutshell this is what I'm experiencing. Once all set up and online and connected, if I trigger the video record feature from either the controller or the App, the App hangs and asks if I’d like to report the issue... which I've done. I have done the usual things that dji support suggested like, format the SD card, clear the video cache, reinstall the App... etc. Once I mentioned I was using a HTC One phone, the customer support guy basically washed his hands of the issue and said it's not supported. Even though initially the App was working fine on my phone. From the error logs on the phone, the first recorded instance of this issue was 22nd April 2017 and the last a few hours ago and the time in between. This is becoming very annoying and the dji help... isn't helpful!

I've uninstalled the DJI GO App, then went on to my phone and cleared out any residual App files then reinstalled a completely clean version. Reduced the load on my phone, cleaned out any junk files, made sure nothing was running in the background and I even run with flight mode on... nothing makes a difference.

This is the error message that's generated at the time of each crash:-
java.nio.BufferOverflowException
at java.nio.ByteBuffer.put(ByteBuffer.java:787)
at dji.midware.media.c.a(Unknown Source)
at dji.midware.media.c.g(Unknown Source)
at dji.midware.media.c$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)

I even gave this error log message to dji customer support, only to be told my phone's not supported!
I've even Googled this, but the results on this topic are vast! I can apply a work around for now, but I'd like to have this resolved if possible.

Is anyone else having this issue, or know of a solution which would be very much appreciated?

You could try turning off the audio in the DJI GO app. The combination of video and audio may just be too much for your phone. The addition of audio is a more recent setting and is on by default.

Reactions: AirScape
Well....many people here don't like Apple products but chose to go Apple for their Mavic anyway as they value their drone.

Crashing software can be a risk.

Due to the nature of Android and the many different systems, version, screen size, CPUs, etc. it is doubtful DJI will ever be able to make a totally stable Android version. I know what I am talking about as I develop software for both platforms.
What SHOULD happen is DJI should fix their SUBSTANDARD app for the other 1/2 of the users out there instead of aligning themselves to one small product line!

Reactions: tony56shooter
Turn off the 'Cache Locally' function.

Cache to the phone is the thing that guarantees an app crash on my Sony Xperia XZ running Android 7.0, I have not gone to 4.0.7 as yet as there is not one positive review on Google Play store.
Small wonder the DJI Go-4 app rates 2.8 of 5 stars!

I've been in constant contact with DJI 'support' re the app and they have no fix.

This Android fanboy bought an iPad, but there are known stable android devices that work well. Click here.

This Android fanboy bought an iPad, but there are known stable android devices that work well. Click here.
Yes, I've seen the very short list of mostly old DJI supported devices....
The point is that the drone is less than 12 months old AND the DJI app doesn't work with most current Android 7 devices.

I'm certainly not shelling out for another device just to fly this drone.
Either it should come with a basic screen on the controller, OR it should work with iOS and Android alike....

The DJI list isn't easy to find even when you are looking for it, it's certainly not part of advertising 'Hey, by the way, you can only fly our drone with a handful of devices'

Yes, I've seen the very short list of mostly old DJI supported devices....
The point is that the drone is less than 12 months old AND the DJI app doesn't work with most current Android 7 devices.

I'm certainly not shelling out for another device just to fly this drone.
Either it should come with a basic screen on the controller, OR it should work with iOS and Android alike....

The DJI list isn't easy to find even when you are looking for it, it's certainly not part of advertising 'Hey, by the way, you can only fly our drone with a handful of devices'

It's not DJI's list. It is from members of this board. You may find something there that appeals and is not Apple, is all I'm saying. The Acer tablet, for example, is not on DJI's list, and costs $150. About 1/3 the cost of an iPad mini.

I agree with where you're coming from, though you have to admit you are being a little negative about it haha. I'm trying to help people who want to stick with Android find the next best thing that does not involve buying Apple hardware, and there appear to be choices.

It's not DJI's list. It is from members of this board. You may find something there that appeals and is not Apple, is all I'm saying. The Acer tablet, for example, is not on DJI's list, and costs $150. About 1/3 the cost of an iPad mini.

I agree with where you're coming from, though you have to admit you are being a little negative about it haha. I'm trying to help people who want to stick with Android find the next best thing that does not involve buying Apple hardware, and there appear to be choices.

I'm not going out of my way to be negative, I think you are missing my point.
That being DJI aren't interested at all in correcting the issue, it's not a phone fault, it's an app fault.
The Sony I have is about as close to native Android as they get.

In our home we already have 4 x Android phones, a busted screen ipad belonging to my youngest son, 3 x laptops, a desktop etc etc etc.
I'm not after another device, I just want to fly my drone reliably with a program that works from the people who made the drone.

Thanks for replying and trying to assist.

Reactions: geigy
What SHOULD happen is DJI should fix their SUBSTANDARD app for the other 1/2 of the users out there instead of aligning themselves to one small product line!

DJI can try whatever they want. The problem is the substandard OS called Android. The DJI software passes a lot of live data over the USB port.
To do this they have to use the libraries in the OS. Due to the fact that there are many different flavours, versions and modified Android versions out there, there are many many versions of these libraries. When a bug is found in these libraries a possible fix is put in the next version. But manufacturers lag behind in updates and fixes, and ever worse, add their own things to it.
So DJI has to try to maintain software on many flawed and often old platforms. This is near impossible! It is a bit like building and maintaining a house built on quicksand in the middle of a swamp.
The idea behind android is great! It is open and free. This strength is also its downfall as you can see.

Do not expect DJI to be able to fix the inherent Android problems. Either accept the crashes and live (and perhaps crash) with them or move to the dark side. The 'evil' iOS is closed, proprietary and up-to-date. This weakness is its greatest strength at is a known and stable platform on which to build. For a developer its foundations feel more like bedrock and less like a swamp.

DJI can try whatever they want. The problem is the substandard OS called Android. The DJI software passes a lot of live data over the USB port.
To do this they have to use the libraries in the OS. Due to the fact that there are many different flavours, versions and modified Android versions out there, there are many many versions of these libraries. When a bug is found in these libraries a possible fix is put in the next version. But manufacturers lag behind in updates and fixes, and ever worse, add their own things to it.
So DJI has to try to maintain software on many flawed and often old platforms. This is near impossible! It is a bit like building and maintaining a house built on quicksand in the middle of a swamp.
The idea behind android is great! It is open and free. This strength is also its downfall as you can see.

Do not expect DJI to be able to fix the inherent Android problems. Either accept the crashes and live (and perhaps crash) with them or move to the dark side. The 'evil' iOS is closed, proprietary and up-to-date. This weakness is its greatest strength at is a known and stable platform on which to build. For a developer its foundations feel more like bedrock and less like a swamp.

Hmmmm, the locked and inflexible big brother beast that is iOS is exactly why I don't have one.
Watching my iFan middle son trying to deal with iTunes before showing him dragging and dropping music files into my Android was when we decided not to run the locked brand anymore.

Like I said, very little is added to Android native by Sony, however, DJI are incapable of anything newer than the 4yr old Z3 platform for my brand.
Rather than throw their hands in the air and give up, it would be nice if DJI actually tried.

I'm not sold on the phone being totally at fault either, I have found one app bug in particular.
I have turned off Cache Locally as this is the main thing locking up the phone.
However, while it no longer sends video to Cache, the DJI Go-4 app DOES continue to send still images to the Cache and there is then a 30sec screen image lock up that comes with it.
I can't see how that would be the phones fault, but is a cause of one issue.

You could try turning off the audio in the DJI GO app. The combination of video and audio may just be too much for your phone. The addition of audio is a more recent setting and is on by default.
Hi Jenee,
Thanks for this, it worth checking out.
What I don't get is that everything was working fine even with audio on, then one day not!

Hello again to all,

I just received my Mavic!

I am having the same problem!
Flying and if I press record the app is crashing.
I have HTC One m7 with 5.0.2 Android version.
Yes the firmware on controller, mavic and Go4 are up to date.

I will also try that with the audio. Any other solutions?

Hello again to all,

I just received my Mavic!

I am having the same problem!
Flying and if I press record the app is crashing.
I have HTC One m7 with 5.0.2 Android version.
Yes the firmware on controller, mavic and Go4 are up to date.

I will also try that with the audio. Any other solutions?
- Turn off CACHE LOCALLY,
- Clear all running apps from the background,
- Set the phone to AIRPLANE MODE,
Turn on GPS on the phone.
- Do not take still photos unless you have line of sight with the drone (they still CACHE to the phone and can cause screen locking)

This works for me 95% of flights.
Do not update any software / firmware until you read up on it if you are able to get stable flights. (updates all seem to be worse than the last versions with more bloat and no fixes)

On my phone in the general settings of the DJI App I turned off:-
- Cache Locally When Recording
- Record Audio With Video Cache

I then cleared the video cache.
I then did a quick test, switching on/off video record and switching between video and stills and back.
Big thumbs up, all OK and working without the App crashing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian