DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI GO4 app Won't run on Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

bwsharp

Reactions
My Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra will not run the GO 4 app. Never really starts, just closes down immediately. Yes, I did download the latest version of GO 4 from DJI's website and installed it. Not the Google play store version.
Any help, someone?

In phone settings, check the box allowing unknown apps on this phone. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. The GO4 app installs alright. It just doesn't run once installed. No error message at all. I can't find any other setting like you mentioned.

Being a rookie, that's all I know. My s22+ running android 12 runs fine, but I had to allow it.

Being a rookie, that's all I know. My s22+ running android 12 runs fine, but I had to allow it.
Thanks. I really do appreciate your trying to help. Are you talking about the setting "Allowing" unknow apps to install? or is there another setting that I'm not aware of?

Hate to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but it seems there are serious issues with DJI's apps and Android 12, especially when running on Exynos CPUs. This issue is also breaking third party apps like Litchi that use the DJI SDK, and has been going on since late last year. I initially had it working on my S22 after doing a clean install from DJI's site, but it then broke (possibly due to a firmware update) and hasn't worked since, no matter what I try. I've since been using my old phone as a dedicated controller, which is less than ideal, but at least gets me airborne.

I think DJI Fly has now supposedly been fixed (although there are still issues being reported), but DJI Go4 still seems to be broken and hasn't had an update since before Android 12 shipped. I can cut them some slack because of the severe lockdowns they've had in Shenzen and wanting to prioritise fixing the software (Fly) used by current models, but it's now been more than six months since this issue came to light and we don't yet have an official statement/timeline from DJI on what - if anything - they intend to do about DJI Go4, other than a few vague comments on their forums.

Thanks for that Zocalo. I saw that there had been similar complaints and issues since last year about Go4. But found it hard to believe that it is STILL an ongoing problem. You would think that a prominent Drone manufacturer like DJI would deal with issues like this quickly and decisively. Covid or no Covid.

VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU DJI - HOPE THAT YOU READ THIS!

It's sad because not like 12 hasn't been out a while. Even my lowly A71 just got a Android 12 update from T-Mobile. They had a fair bit of time to prepare for that.

You need to sideload the Go4 APK that you can download from DJI.com. It's significantly newer than the one on Google Play Store and works on my S21U.

You need to sideload the Go4 APK that you can download from DJI.com. It's significantly newer than the one on Google Play Store and works on my S21U.
Samsung uses two different CPUs in their phones, Qualcomm's Snapdragon and their own Exynos which mostly tends to be shipped in their European phone models (I think there is a GPU difference too). From what I've found online, even if you sideload the latest version of Go4 from DJI's site the former CPU is mostly working, but the latter mostly isn't.

One thing I did notice on my S22 was that if you start Go4 without the phone being connected to the drone, it starts and runs just fine, as far as it goes in that state. It's only once you plug the cable in and try and use the drone it starts to crash. That makes me think it might be something in the comms subsystems or related APIs that are causing the problems and it's not neccessarily a CPU/GPU issue, which kind of makes sense since they are all ARM architecture SoCs. Litchi is blaming the DJI SDK for their similar issues as well, so if enough people complain maybe DJI will fix the issue and then do one last compile of Go4.

Not holding my breath though.

Just seen this update from Litchi.

Apparently they have fixed the video issues with the Samsung S22 and A53 in the May release. Since Litchi had originally pinned the fault on the DJI SDK, that likely implies that the SDK has been updated by DJI and (presumably) that DJI Fly should also be fixed. Whether that will also lead to an update of Go4 remains to be seen, but it does look like there has been some progress on the issue from DJI so we might get some kind of an update from them regarding Go4 soon.

Perhaps not ideal, but if DJI doesn't update Go4 then buying Litchi might at least enable the use of more recent Android phones with Go4-era drones. Yes, it isn't a free app at £21.99, but that's still going to be cheaper than buying a used phone/tablet just for flying a drone. Over to you DJI...

...Perhaps not ideal, but if DJI doesn't update Go4 then buying Litchi might at least enable the use of more recent Android phones with Go4-era drones...
Yeah ... Litchi can be used as a "daily driver" once all deeper settings have been dialed in through GO4 ... but if you for instance want to adjust the stick sensitivity settings, EXP & so on, the GO4 app is needed again, Litchi lack several of those more advanced settings.

Yeah ... Litchi can be used as a "daily driver" once all deeper settings have been dialed in through GO4 ... but if you for instance want to adjust the stick sensitivity settings, EXP & so on, the GO4 app is needed again, Litchi lack several of those more advanced settings.
Interesting info as I need to download Litchi and have a play around for a longer term solution in case DJI doesn't fix Go4, which I suspect will be the case. I keep hearing good things about Litchi, but as I mostly use my M2P for stills I'm not really using many of the advanced features and probably wouldn't catch things like this straight away, if at all.

Still, as long as Litchi now works and covers the 80:20 feature rule pretty well seems like they might have a good opportunity to pick up a lot more users if DJI keeps dragging their feet on a fix. That's definitely a better situation than it was a few weeks ago.

GPU is different too (Exynos using Mali, SD using Adreno). My S21U is Exynos 2100, running Android 12, so that's the only thing I can talk about.
I had to fly my old Mavic Air with Litchi recently due to Play Store's Go4 crashing. Litchi worked just fine. I have since sideload-updated Go4.Apk (downloaded from DJI) and have connected it successfully to the Air to look for firmware and geoblock updates (the latter of which were duely installed). No issues observed at all, though I did not test with a real flight.
So if there was a recent fix required to make Litchi and Go4.Apk work on Exy2100 on Android12, I was lucky to only have done this a few days ago.
The versions which are working for me are Go4 4.3.46 and Litchi 4.24.0-g.
HTH.

I though that DJI was the drone industry leader. Apparently they are not. Not having a reliable application to fly allot of their products is a pretty big screw up. I contacted DJI technical support and they act like this problem is news to them. I have to believe that DJI is fully aware of these ongoing issues with the Go4 app, but amazingly they choose to ignore them or just blame Android 12.

Just makes their drones just an expensive lump of plastic, if you can't fly them.
Shame on you DJI.

Reactions: careless
I contacted DJI technical support and they act like this problem is news to them.
"Act" would have to be the word - there is no plausible way they can claim to be ignorant of this issue given that their own forums are littered with posts about it going back around a year, to when the first public betas of Android 12 came out. Many of those threads have replies from DJI forum moderators / support staff and, in several cases, responses from those staff stating that information has been passed to the technical team responsible for maintaining the Apps.

Android accounts for roughly 70-80% of the smartphone market, and people that can afford things DJI's consumer drones are probably to update their phone fairly frequently as well. That's likely to mean that an awfully large fraction of DJI's user base have either already run into this problem or will do over the next several months. They're then going to run a few Internet searches for a solution and find all the forum threads and DJI's head in the sand attitude writ large, which does not seem like a very good strategy for maintaining customer loyalty to me.

Reactions: bwsharp
"Act" would have to be the word - there is no plausible way they can claim to be ignorant of this issue given that their own forums are littered with posts about it going back around a year, to when the first public betas of Android 12 came out. Many of those threads have replies from DJI forum moderators / support staff and, in several cases, responses from those staff stating that information has been passed to the technical team responsible for maintaining the Apps.

Android accounts for roughly 70-80% of the smartphone market, and people that can afford things DJI's consumer drones are probably to update their phone fairly frequently as well. That's likely to mean that an awfully large fraction of DJI's user base have either already run into this problem or will do over the next several months. They're then going to run a few Internet searches for a solution and find all the forum threads and DJI's head in the sand attitude writ large, which does not seem like a very good strategy for maintaining customer loyalty to me.
I concur completely. You would think that they would be all over these problems, yet they don't seem to be at all concerned. It's just weird.

FYI, some users are reporting an App update to v4.3.50 for both iOS and (further down) Android. This does not seem to be on DJI Support/Download page yet, but hopefully will be posted soon and with a little luck fix the issues many of us are having with our newer phones!

Reactions: Yaros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27