DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles and Mavic 2 - What is your experience?

Since I am about to pull the trigger on the white goggles I am curious about the focal length. Where did you get the 18 inch number? I saw where someone measured the distance to the internal screens and I pretty sure it was a whole lot less than that.

I just checked my RE's, Maccool may have meant 1.8", but even then that might be too far.
Put a tape to centre edge of lens, would be about 3/4" tops to where the eye would be.

Since I am about to pull the trigger on the white goggles I am curious about the focal length. Where did you get the 18 inch number? I saw where someone measured the distance to the internal screens and I pretty sure it was a whole lot less than that. I assume that it would be the same for both the RE and the original white ones as well.

A small side note and you don’t need to answer If you don’t want to. You mentioned having an adult (I assume) daughter but your profile lists your age at 19. How does that work?
My profile may or may not be accurate.

There's an interposed lens in front of the screens. I assume that the optimal distance for those particular screens, sized appropriately to be able to get 1080p in 16:9 and be able to fit well into a normal human's field of view, is 18 inches. Since no one would buy a pair of goggles that were 18 inches deep, they put a lens in there to shorten the actual distance and still maintain perspective. Simple measurement with a ruler wouldn't do it. My 3 diopter lenses left it a little fuzzy, so I went to 4 diopters and it was perfect. With the 4 diopter lenses, my optimal focus distance is 18 inches. Your presbyopia may be different than mine. Try on multiple reading glasses and see if can find one that allows the sharpest focus at 18 inches. Alternatively, take your goggles into the store when you go glasses shopping.

Last edited:
I just checked my RE's, Maccool may have meant 1.8", but even then that might be too far.
Put a tape to centre edge of lens, would be about 3/4" tops to where the eye would be.
;) I doubt that there's been a human born that could focus their eyes at 1.8 inches or less.

;) I doubt that there's been a human born that could focus their eyes at 1.8 inches or less.

Just sayin' that's what it measures at, could even be 1/2".
Can almost feel the eyelashes touching if pushing goggles on hard.

So where DO you get 18" from ?
That is a foot an a half.
Edit just saw your reply post 22, all good.

My profile may or may not be accurate.

There's an interposed lens in front of the screens. I assume that the optimal distance for those particular screens, sized appropriately to be able to get 1080p in 16:9 and be able to fit well into a normal human's field of view, is 18 inches. Since no one would buy a pair of goggles that were 18 inches deep, they put a lens in there to shorten the actual distance and still maintain perspective. Simple measurement with a ruler wouldn't do it. My 3 diopter lenses left it a little fuzzy, so I went to 4 diopters and it was perfect. With the 4 diopter lenses, my optimal focus distance is 18 inches. Your presbyopia may be different than mine. Try on multiple reading glasses and see if can find one that allows the sharpest focus at 18 inches. Alternatively, take your goggles into the store when you go glasses shopping.
Thanks, I think I understand now. I really appreciate your feedback. I was thinking that after I had them I would take them to the store to find the right pair of readers. Have you seen the inserts that you can buy? I would assume the same diopter would apply for those.

Just sayin' that's what it measures at, could even be 1/2".
Can almost feel the eyelashes touching if pushing goggles on hard.

So where DO you get 18" from ?
That is a foot an a half.
Edit just saw your reply post 22, all good.
I didn’t realize that was that small of a distance. If so, how would someone with glasses use them without the glasses hitting the internal lenses? I just measured my glasses and each lens is at least 3/4” from my eyebrow.

My biggest concern is getting sea sick with them. I have been on the edge of buying a set of the white goggles for almost 2 years but the fear of getting motion sickness has held me back. I’m not prone to sea sickness having been a scuba diver off the New England coast for over 20 years and diving almost year round in sometimes fairly rough seas. Although I would take Trip Tone (motion sickness pills) before diving in those conditions.

On the other had I’ve always been an avid gamer and in the early days of gaming I would get sick playing the first version of Wolfenstien. I loved the game but hated getting motion sickness which would always sneak up on me.

Has anybody gotten motion sickness with the goggles?

I didn’t realize that was that small of a distance. If so, how would someone with glasses use them without the glasses hitting the internal lenses? I just measured my glasses and each lens is at least 3/4” from my eyebrow.

Sorry mate, that is with some x2.5 glasses on, I'm still trying out some different lenses both scrip and plain magnifying to tweak my view.
I can just get by without them, but would like the clearest view possible of course.

My biggest concern is getting sea sick with them. I have been on the edge of buying a set of the white goggles for almost 2 years but the fear of getting motion sickness has held me back.

I have used the white goggles when another forum member I met up with used them with his M2P and I wore the goggles.
There were a couple of times I did feel just a touch nauseous, but think when in control it will be less of a problem.
FPV fixed wing mode would probably be a little more of a problem, and maybe head tracking in flight or gimbal option.

Thanks, I think I understand now. I really appreciate your feedback. I was thinking that after I had them I would take them to the store to find the right pair of readers. Have you seen the inserts that you can buy? I would assume the same diopter would apply for those.
I have. I'm told that the inserts some company made for the white goggles will fit the black ones. It would be an option, but the cheap readers I bought off Amazon fit perfectly well under the goggles, so no need.

My biggest concern is getting sea sick with them. I have been on the edge of buying a set of the white goggles for almost 2 years but the fear of getting motion sickness has held me back. I’m not prone to sea sickness having been a scuba diver off the New England coast for over 20 years and diving almost year round in sometimes fairly rough seas. Although I would take Trip Tone (motion sickness pills) before diving in those conditions.

On the other had I’ve always been an avid gamer and in the early days of gaming I would get sick playing the first version of Wolfenstien. I loved the game but hated getting motion sickness which would always sneak up on me.

LOL. My wife can't even watch the Liftoff drone simulator on the computer screen without getting sick.

I've been a pilot all my life. Flown aerobatics since is was in college. I got a ride in the back seat of an F-18 Hornet without getting sick (that's a small club I'm told). I've been flying this Mavic 2 almost entirely with the RE goggles for a few weeks now without even so much as a hiccup.

I am an absolute newbie at freestyle quads - I have a Diatone GT349HD but I haven't put it in the air yet. The other day, I finally got around to getting a long enough HDMI cable to hook the goggles up to my gaming PC. I've been flying race drones in Liftoff drone simulator on my 32 inch computer screen. It's a blast, but it's got a really steep learning curve. I hooked the goggles up and loaded up some freestyle drones, and I'll tell ya....I was shocked to see that that got me a little queasy. I was amazed! I flew that sim for an hour until my Taranis ran out of juice and by the end there were still some maneuvers that got my stomach's attention. It's likely I'll grow out of it, but I was amazed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulf10
LOL. My wife can't even watch the Liftoff drone simulator on the computer screen without getting sick.

I've been a pilot all my life. Flown aerobatics since is was in college. I got a ride in the back seat of an F-18 Hornet without getting sick (that's a small club I'm told). I've been flying this Mavic 2 almost entirely with the RE goggles for a few weeks now without even so much as a hiccup.

I am an absolute newbie at freestyle quads - I have a Diatone GT349HD but I haven't put it in the air yet. The other day, I finally got around to getting a long enough HDMI cable to hook the goggles up to my gaming PC. I've been flying race drones in Liftoff drone simulator on my 32 inch computer screen. It's a blast, but it's got a really steep learning curve. I hooked the goggles up and loaded up some freestyle drones, and I'll tell ya....I was shocked to see that that got me a little queasy. I was amazed! I flew that sim for an hour until my Taranis ran out of juice and by the end there were still some maneuvers that got my stomach's attention. It's likely I'll grow out of it, but I was amazed.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Flying in the back seat of an F18 says an awful lot about your tolerance!
I really appreciate your feedback!?

I have the black RE goggles and use them with a M2 Zoom. Goggles really aren't supposed to be used without a Visual Observer at your side, someone who can keep their eyes on the bird while you are immersed in the FPV world. It is impossible to maintain situational awareness when wearing the goggles.

Hello Gindra,

I just received the white goggles for a holiday gift. I’m excited to try them out and am just now looking into the forum posts to learn more about them when I noticed your post. I generally fly my drone alone (wife not interested), so am I risking a drone crash or some other disaster by not having an observer with me when I put the goggles on and take off? Being in the cockpit seems like a comfortable position to be in, but am I asking for trouble by not having VLOS? Thx!!

That said, the experience of being "in the cockpit" is awesome.

My favorite use of the goggles is actually letting family or friends don them while I fly the bird. We live in Oregon wine country and the scenery can be breathtaking. Listening to the oohs and aahs and WOWs is worth the price of the goggles!

Reactions: Gindra
Thank you for sharing your experience. Flying in the back seat of an F18 says an awful lot about your tolerance!
I really appreciate your feedback!?
A lot of the aerobatics I flew were in a Marchetti 260. Pulling 4 g's for brief periods wasn't rare, but I can tell you that the back seat of an F18 is a whole other ball game.

I live on 7 acres out in the sticks. I know every inch of this property. I have flown it with goggles only and was fine. Keeping it fairly low is a good idea since you cannot have true situational awareness with the goggles on. For instance, you wouldn't see a bird or know that a helicopter or low flying plane was in your flight path so you could take evasive measures.

If you are in a tight area though, or someplace you are not absolutely familiar with, flying with goggles will not work without a VO. It is hard enough to avoid overhead wires and branches while actually looking at the aircraft let alone trying to navigate with goggles only!

Biggest problem occurred when I synced the goggle movement to the gimble movement. Impossible to fly in that mode. Excellent option for a "passenger" but not for the pilot.

All that being said, the FAA rules are that you should always have eyes on the bird. If not your eyes then an assistant's eyes.

I live on 7 acres out in the sticks. I know every inch of this property. I have flown it with goggles only and was fine. Keeping it fairly low is a good idea since you cannot have true situational awareness with the goggles on. For instance, you wouldn't see a bird or know that a helicopter or low flying plane was in your flight path so you could take evasive measures.

If you are in a tight area though, or someplace you are not absolutely familiar with, flying with goggles will not work without a VO. It is hard enough to avoid overhead wires and branches while actually looking at the aircraft let alone trying to navigate with goggles only!

Biggest problem occurred when I synced the goggle movement to the gimble movement. Impossible to fly in that mode. Excellent option for a "passenger" but not for the pilot.

All that being said, the FAA rules are that you should always have eyes on the bird. If not your eyes then an assistant's eyes.
Certainly if varies from person to person. At least in the area where I fly mostly (neighborhood and over the lake) I find that I am more comfortable flying FPV with the goggles than LOS. This is especially true of the little FPV race drones I'm learning to fly, which are quite a bit smaller and harder to judge attitude or orientation visually. LOS for testing, yes, not really for actually flying those little suckers. I'm not even sure it's possible to fly them LOS consistently, but even with the Mavic 2, at the distances I often fly for photography and video, the process is substantially facilitated by the goggles flying FPV for me.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Certainly if varies from person to person. At least in the area where I fly mostly (neighborhood and over the lake) I find that I am more comfortable flying FPV with the goggles than LOS. This is especially true of the little FPV race drones I'm learning to fly, which are quite a bit smaller and harder to judge attitude or orientation visually. LOS for testing, yes, not really for actually flying those little suckers. I'm not even sure it's possible to fly them LOS consistently, but even with the Mavic 2, at the distances I often fly for photography and video, the process is substantially facilitated by the goggles flying FPV for me.
This debate is very interesting. Since I do not have the googles yet my opinion is based on guesses. It seems like the situation awareness would be improved while wearing the goggles. I know that when flying my M2P now once it gets 100 to 200 ft away from me it is very difficult to judge how far away from objects I am. In these cases I look at the screen to help me judge the closeness. With the significantly larger screen view compared to my phone it would make it even easier. Now, I understand you can’t see sides and back but I typically do a quick spin and pan up and down while looking at the display to see the whole environment. In general I can navigate tight spaces better looking at the screen once the aircraft is a bit away from me but still in VLOS. I quick flip up of the goggles could verify anything else of concern. Just my thoughts and guesses.

This debate is very interesting. Since I do not have the googles yet my opinion is based on guesses. It seems like the situation awareness would be improved while wearing the goggles. I know that when flying my M2P now once it gets 100 to 200 ft away from me it is very difficult to judge how far away from objects I am. In these cases I look at the screen to help me judge the closeness. With the significantly larger screen view compared to my phone it would make it even easier. Now, I understand you can’t see sides and back but I typically do a quick spin and pan up and down while looking at the display to see the whole environment. In general I can navigate tight spaces better looking at the screen once the aircraft is a bit away from me but still in VLOS. I quick flip up of the goggles could verify anything else of concern. Just my thoughts and guesses.
I have found all of that to be true for flying the Mavic 2. In my typical flying environment, LOS flight beyond about 150 feet with the Mavic 2 feels a lot more dangerous than FPV with the goggles. And I've been flying LOS RC airplanes for decades.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Sorry mate, that is with some x2.5 glasses on, I'm still trying out some different lenses both scrip and plain magnifying to tweak my view.
I can just get by without them, but would like the clearest view possible of course.
Magnifying lenses like reading glasses ground to your prescription for optimal viewing at 18 inches would be optimal. They would be cheaper than regular eyeglasses since they wouldn't be bi-focal, tri-focal, or progressive (you wouldn't want various parts of the glasses to have different focal lengths since all parts of the screen are the same distance from your retina) but they would be more accurate since they would accomodate the diopter correction for each eye (very likely the two eyes are different) and would accommodate astigmatism (again, each eye likely to be different) if you have that. For my part, I already know that I have no astigmatism and that my correction is the same for each eye within 0.5 diopter, so off-the-shelf readers work fine for me. If a person has a big difference in correction between their two eyes, they would likely find the blurriness in one eye vs the other to be very noticeable in the goggles at that short focal length.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11