DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles? Or is there something better?

BadgerDrone

Reactions
I just bought the MP today, next is goggle research... DJI im sure are the ones but what about this fat shark things? anyone use many and found a keeper?

I have the DJI Goggles. However, my favorite way to fly and still today is with my HeadPlay Goggles. You must have an Nvideo K1 Tablet to do this because it has an HDMI port on it which allows the goggles to plug in to. With the Nvidia K1 tablet you should use Marshmallow 6.0.1 OS or you will have problems with the DJI Go4 app crashing (don't use the Nougat 7.0 OS).

IMG_00112.JPG

I bought DJI googles but I wear glasses and could not get the goggles to focus clearly with my bifocals. Many people say they get reading glasses and that helps but I just couldn’t see wearing the reading glasses and then switching glasses when I remove the googles. Others go as far as having their eye doctor create special glasses. I also fly alone quite often so I don’t have the spotter needed to maintain los. I really wanted them to work but later founds lots of other pilots who found that they had the same issue. I wish DJI would come up with a way to adjust the focus like on binoculars. Check out you tube for others who experienced the same issues as me.

There are add-on lenses that clip to the goggles available both from DJI and from third parties.

OP, define "better" aka what matters to you - with an MP in terms of convenience (wireless) and image size/quality/smoothness there's nothing comparable.

I bought DJI googles but I wear glasses and could not get the goggles to focus clearly with my bifocals. Many people say they get reading glasses and that helps but I just couldn’t see wearing the reading glasses and then switching glasses when I remove the googles. Others go as far as having their eye doctor create special glasses. I also fly alone quite often so I don’t have the spotter needed to maintain los. I really wanted them to work but later founds lots of other pilots who found that they had the same issue. I wish DJI would come up with a way to adjust the focus like on binoculars. Check out you tube for others who experienced the same issues as me.

What about a product like this? focus-fixers

Edit: YouTube Review

There are also the cheaper ones offered straight from DJI. DJI Goggles Corrective Lenses - Correct Hyperopia for Clearer Sight - DJI Store

Last edited:
I looked at focus fixers but just couldn’t justify another $60 over and above the price of the goggles. I just wish there was a way to add a focus adjustment to the goggles. Maybe it is coming in a new version.

Reactions: radman
I have the DJI Goggles. However, my favorite way to fly and still today is with my HeadPlay Goggles. You must have an Nvideo K1 Tablet to do this because it has an HDMI port on it which allows the goggles to plug in to. With the Nvidia K1 tablet you should use Marshmallow 6.0.1 OS or you will have problems with the DJI Go4 app crashing (don't use the Nougat 7.0 OS).

View attachment 37673
i use the same only with the crystalsky for hdmi

I looked at focus fixers but just couldn’t justify another $60 over and above the price of the goggles. I just wish there was a way to add a focus adjustment to the goggles. Maybe it is coming in a new version.
I agree. I bought my HeadPlay Goggles for $120 and spent another $50 on the optical inserts ($170 total). When I bought the $450 DJI Goggles I really wanted them to blow the HeadPlay away but they where a big let down for me (even when using the optical inserts). I did not use the DJI Goggles long before I went back to my Headplay. The headplay's are HDMI and I can see exactly what's on my Nvidia K1 tablet through the HDMI port (all telemetry not a washed down version of it). I also use them with my Spark and Phantom 3A.

IMG_00145.JPG

For my MA (similar for the MP?) I bought the Litchi app (~$30), stuck my smartphone into a cheap (~$25) VR case, and fly my Air around like that! The Litchi FPV app even controls the up-down camera angle based on my head movement. Not BAD for so cheap!

I've never used or even seen the DJI goggles, and can only assume the DJI's video quality is better, but heck for only ~$55 I'm not complaining!!

Reactions: drrjv
Look into focus Fixers
focus-fixers

I just bought the MP today, next is goggle research... DJI im sure are the ones but what about this fat shark things? anyone use many and found a keeper?
I have used Litchi with cheap set...no where near as good as DJI Goggles.
DJI goggles give you 1080p for the first mile and 720p thereafter.
I considered Moverio BT-300, but they are 720, and no where near as immersive.
I have Crystalsky Ultra, and much prefer to use the goggles.
Today, I flew over 2.5 miles with the goggles, and it felt like I was right there. I thought for sure I was standing facing the drone, but when all was said and done I was positioned 180 degrees away, and still did not lose signal.
Once you go DJI goggles, you can never look back.
And, the battery in them last six hours. I can't remember the last time I charged them and I fly two to three times a week.

Comparing Fat Shark to DJI Goggles Ken Heron who has always used the Fat Shark had this to say in his Youtube video.
To cut to the chase, pick it up from minute 2:20 in the video.

Word of caution though, you may feel like a dork wearing them. Some people compare them to wearing a toilet bowl seat around your head.

Butt (no pun intended) I don't care, they are worth the social outgrace.

i have hear that there is something for the DJI Goggles to make them adjustable check with Dji

Rd

This entire situation is problematic. There is no good solution..esp if you have existing goggles (like my Fat Sharks). Every work around is a PIA ...that is till I discovered the MoGo goggles. They are a very comfy headset that you slip your phone into, plug the USB cord into the controller and you are off into the big screen world of FPV for around 70 bucks on Amazon. The design is great with plenty of open room underneath so you can touch the screen to operate the app. Optics are kinda amazing. I am very nearsighted but the image is clear with or without my glasses. You shud give these a try. Plus they are great for watching ANY content on your phone as a very clear big screen. I find the phone stays put better if it's in a case, contrary to what the instructions say. 5 stars from me!

Last edited:
Reactions: BadgerDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet