DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles? Or is there something better?

I bought DJI googles but I wear glasses and could not get the goggles to focus clearly with my bifocals. Many people say they get reading glasses and that helps but I just couldn’t see wearing the reading glasses and then switching glasses when I remove the googles. Others go as far as having their eye doctor create special glasses. I also fly alone quite often so I don’t have the spotter needed to maintain los. I really wanted them to work but later founds lots of other pilots who found that they had the same issue. I wish DJI would come up with a way to adjust the focus like on binoculars. Check out you tube for others who experienced the same issues as me.

I also have the DJI googles and had to install a 4x reading glass "fixer" to the unit. I can fly with or without my glasses and see perfectly clear images. I hope DJI add a focus adjustment as 90% of the people I talk to either do the glass trick or buy focus fixers.

Spend the money and get Focal Fixers. They worked great in my case and ARE worth the money.
S. Lewis
Mavic Pro / Mavic Air / Spark / P4P

I have both DJI inserts and the focus fixer inserts. Both work well for me. I prefer the focus fixers only because they don't bother the bridge of my nose and the tab on them makes it easier to remove when letting others watch through the goggles. Its just my preference.

Reactions: BadgerDrone
I wear prescription glasses (bi-focals) and couldn't use my goggles. I looked at the focus fixers on their website. They tell you right on there that if you can find a pair of readers that work for 9", that's the size to order from them. https://www.focus-fixers.com/select-a-lens I went to the pharmacy and the highest readers I could find were +3.75. Couldn't see very well at 9". So I went on Amazon and ordered a pair of +4.50 and +5.00. The 5's were right on. Now I just switch glasses when I put on my goggles and I can see perfectly. I could probably pop the lenses out and silicone them inside the goggles and it would work perfect. This to me is the benefit of the Focus Fixers. the nice snap in ability. But I paid $9.95 for the readers and they work great. Focus Fixers are $58. That extra $50 will buy a couple of sets of props.

Rd

This entire situation is problematic. There is no good solution..esp if you have existing goggles (like my Fat Sharks). Every work around is a PIA ...that is till I discovered the MoGo goggles. They are a very comfy headset that you slip your phone into, plug the USB cord into the controller and you are off into the big screen world of FPV for around 70 bucks on Amazon. The design is great with plenty of open room underneath so you can touch the screen to operate the app. Optics are kinda amazing. I am very nearsighted but the image is clear with or without my glasses. You shud give these a try. Plus they are great for watching ANY content on your phone as a very clear big screen. I find the phone stays put better if it's in a case, contrary to what the instructions say. 5 stars from me!
Thank you! :)

I bought DJI googles but I wear glasses and could not get the goggles to focus clearly with my bifocals. Many people say they get reading glasses and that helps but I just couldn’t see wearing the reading glasses and then switching glasses when I remove the googles. Others go as far as having their eye doctor create special glasses. I also fly alone quite often so I don’t have the spotter needed to maintain los. I really wanted them to work but later founds lots of other pilots who found that they had the same issue. I wish DJI would come up with a way to adjust the focus like on binoculars. Check out you tube for others who experienced the same issues as me.
I bought FocusFixers to put inside my Goggles so I could see better.

I have DJI goggles. But what I use 99% of the time is
Avegant Glyph AG101 VR Headset with a Nvidia Shield 8in tablet
How did you do that?
My glyphs will only read in 720.
I found one tablet that you can change the hdmi port from 1080 to 720 but the go app crashes in it
Maybe they're the earlier Founders Edition?
The Nvidia has 1080p for the port. Can you change the output?
I can't find a tablet that works with my glyphs in 720.
I agree, The glyphs are awesome. I'm selling my dji goggles

Last edited:
Most HDMI equipped devices let you select the desired resolution in the settings.
I guess the person I was buying the nvidia shield from didn't know that so I didn't buy it.
Other than the nvidia shield do you know a tablet that would work with the go app4 that has a mini or full hdmi port?
Crystal sky is too pricey for me.

I tried a set of DJI goggles recently but sold them on very quickly. I found them heavy, not very well fitting and hot to wear, and I don't like that a number of functions have to be accessed via the touchpad menu system which is not very good. The focus issues were the last straw, it wasn't worth messing about with lens inserts when I would still have the other issues.

Moverios are a promising idea but I do not like the idea of having to run the DJI Go app from the attached mobile PC.

I've given up on goggles for the meantime until the technology improves to the point where I can just integrate them into my existing setup without losing some functionality I'm using and I like having.

Last edited:
DJI goggles have better latency, a cleaner interface that is actually useful for flying, and they never crash. I don't know why anyone would want to fly without them.

a few reasons:

- they're heavy and not very well balanced
- they're hot to wear
- they don't fit my head well at all (the band is the wrong shape)
- the band size adjustment mechanism is rubbish (c'mon guys, it's not like you had to invent this wheel - every welding helmet out there has this component)
- you're very isolated from the rest of the world when wearing them (which makes them illegal in my part of the world, although this is not a primary concern for me)
- the colour reminds me of watching an international TV broadcast from the early 80s
- there's no focus adjustment
- I don't like moving a lot of the controls to the goggles, which has a far inferior interface to the DG4 app, and requires you to take a hand off the controller to fumble with the trackpad
- they are huge to store and transport

on the plus side, the experience is very immersive, the latency is excellent, and the ability to sync directly with the MP and not have to cable the things in is very good.

before I'll buy another set of goggles they need to fix the Daft Punk form factor, change them to a Moverio-style HUD presentation, and refactor what they do so they are a display device, not a control device. I just want something that gives me an FPV display by extending what DG4 can see now to the goggles, without changing everything else that's going on to achieve that.

at the moment the technology reminds me of flying 36MHz gear years ago - we'd moved beyond the point where you needed to break out a soldering iron and roll your own, into a commercial turn-key solution, but it still wasn't very good.

Reactions: Ms.UAV
Right on, what makes these MoGo goggles different from the typical "$20, insert your phone" type goggles is: they are 2D not 3D. So, you're getting twice the pixels per picture.

As far as comfort goes, nothing beats my modified HobbyKing Quanum 2 goggles, with the screen replaced with a Nexus 5x 5.2" Android phone. Pulled the padding off a cheap $5 (eBay) set of motorcycle goggles and Velcro'd then to the Quanums. Very light and comfortable on the head, reading glasses fit just right and the picture is very good. Been using these until I discovered the AveGant Glyphs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov