DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles, wth??

lopezjbl

Reactions
I just got my DJI Goggles to go with my Mavic Pro. First off, what an awesome picture and easy set up! I was a bit dissapointed though to learn that there is an automatic geofence in place when you try to fly using just your remote, mavic, and the goggles (no phone plugged into the remote controller). I understand the need for a geofence when the phone is not connected to the remote control since a drone+remote controll only means it will be a line of site short range flight therefore it would be a bad idea for the drone to get far away...OK, makes sense. BUT, there needs to be an update that turns that geofence OFF when the DJI goggles are connected since the goggles are your FPV. I was really looking forward to just being able to turn on the remote/mavic, putting on the goggles and going without having to hook up my phone or burning the phones battery. Yes its a small speed bump, not a huge deal but I was still a little bummed. If there's a way to actually do this and I'm not doing something right, can someone please let me know?

Not sure but could it be the need to have the go4 for the telemetry.

I have the goggles as well but never considered using goggles alone. It’s just a personal thing with me, having an added measure of confidence having the phone connected. It’s simply a redundant backup system.

I would be interested to try it out and see how retrievable the flight data is.

You just have to plug in your phone or device initially for geofencing check/confirmation. Once that's established, you can put away your device until next time. I discovered this too, and was a little surprised. I guess they have to confirm (via your device's GPS and the DJI GO NFZ database) that you're not in a NFZ before allowing you to launch for the first time.

Reactions: chazzm
You just have to plug in your phone or device initially for geofencing check/confirmation. Once that's established, you can put away your device until next time. I discovered this too, and was a little surprised. I guess they have to confirm (via your device's GPS and the DJI GO NFZ database) that you're not in a NFZ before allowing you to launch for the first time.
Ahh, OK thanks I'll give that a try!

The goggles do not allow you to check RTH mode, set RTH height, doesn't give a map to check HP location etc so DJI want you to connect a phone to have access to these things you're supposed to check/set before flight.

I've had my goggles reboot/turn off twice in flight too (over months, but still) in which case a backup screen is rather welcome.

The goggles do not allow you to check RTH mode, set RTH height, doesn't give a map to check HP location etc so DJI want you to connect a phone to have access to these things you're supposed to check/set before flight.

I've had my goggles reboot/turn off twice in flight too (over months, but still) in which case a backup screen is rather welcome.
Good points...thanks!

BUT, there needs to be an update that turns that geofence OFF when the DJI goggles are connected since the goggles are your FPV.

As the world's largest manufacturer of drones, DJI is obsessed with safety. Here in the US, the FAA specifies that hobbyist-pilots MUST fly
under visual-line-of-sight (VLOS) rules. First-person-view (FPV) fails to satisfy this requirement.

Reactions: hryzec
i don't think i would fly without my phone connected. I want the flight logs. If your Mavic crashes, you might not be able to locate it easily, and you can't submit flight logs to DJI. it's going to be assumed pilot error.

Reactions: Kilrah
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but are the goggles worth the experience? I'm thinking about getting some. Not only for me to enjoy, but for the wife and kids to enjoy. As the kids and wife don't fly the drone, but it sure sounds like it would give them one hell of an experience.

You will get people that tell you no and people that tell you yes. I have the goggles and I enjoy then as well as letting others watch as I fly. If you could try a set somewhere would be your best judge for you. If not watch some you tube vids and see what you can find there. Good luck !

You will get people that tell you no and people that tell you yes. I have the goggles and I enjoy then as well as letting others watch as I fly. If you could try a set somewhere would be your best judge for you. If not watch some you tube vids and see what you can find there. Good luck !
Thank you for replying. I think I am just going to get some. If I don't like them, then I will just sell them. They have come down in price. I have watched YouTube videos. For the most part all pretty good reviews. I just thought I would get everyone's take on them in this community. Thank you again. Have a wonderful day.

Reactions: Jordak
I have the goggles and really like the head tracking gimble feature . I wish that I bought the race ones as they respond faster

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes