DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI launches the Mavic Mini

Pretty normal with this being a product release or announcement. Just like Apple and Samsung. Stores and retail won't get them for some time. Many of you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket it looks like!

Well my local shop says available in 12 days.

I guess for what its designed for, portable, light, quiet, low priced, it just needs to capture decent pics

Wait, what? No - I’m saying there’s no manual camera controls. So, you can’t change ISO, exposure, frame rate. Neither are their colour profiles, so no D Cinelike etc.
I saw in one review ( I think iPhonedo), that you can do an exposure correction when filming though. (So everything is automatic, except +/- x EV).

Reactions: Lastrexking
I guess for what its designed for, portable, light,

quiet,

low priced, it just needs to capture decent pics

Is it quiet though ?
That one question has been on my mind since it’s release approaches.

Being so small I was imagining it quite an annoying high pitch, even compared with a Spark.

Obviously it’s pretty much the easy travel size and low weight that holds the most appeal, but I think it’s going to annoy the billy-oh out of many visitors at tourism hotspots Worldwide.

The bit rate is 40% or less of the bit rate of the bigger birds, which is typically 100 Mbps. That may be adequate for 2.7 k, but not for 4K. An exception to that statement would be if the codec used is h.265, which provides up to 4x the image quality at a given bit rate. I haven’t seen any specs on which codec is used. Almost all the earlier birds used h.264.

According to the specs, there appear to be two versions of the Mini. Can anyone shed some light on that?

According to the specs, there appear to be two versions of the Mini. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Dependent on your location.
No longer auto switching CE - FCC apparently?
I can see issues with this....

Operating Frequency
Model MT1SS5: 5.725-5.850 GHz
Model MT1SD25: 2.400-2.4835 GHz, 5.725-5.850 GHz

One thing that I can't figure out with DJI is how they haven't used the Mavic Air body style in either a larger (Mavic 2) or smaller (Mavic Mini) form. It is seems like the better, more 'modern' design with a more clever folding mechanism as well. I'm sure they have their reasons, but I would have liked to see them use the Air body style in other drones, especially since it lets them build more flat (even the Mini is quite chunky, despite how tiny it is overall).

I do really like that the battery slot is enclosed, unlike the rest of the Mavics - seems like the better way to do it regardless.

Probably the transmitter strengths differences between Europe and US. The US allows more signal strength, and greater range.

The camera does not look filter friendly, do not see how one could be made to attach but I am sure someone will make one. With the limited controls I doubt it would be worth trying to set the shutter speed with ND filters but a polarizer for over water footage and for foliage shots would be helpful.

Its a beginner drone, hence low price and spec.
I was super excited to add this to my fleet, but let me confirm some things first:

1. Do I understand correctly that you cannot operate this ultraportable ,"flying camera", super compact travel drone with your smartphone alone? I haven't seen anything in the promo materials that suggest you can and, in fact, I believe the FAQ suggests you need the controller. Is this true and, if so, how does that make any sense at all?

2. It also does not appear to support Gesture Control or Smart Capture and has no Follow Me functionality.

3. And it's a beginner-ish drone with absolutely no obstacle avoidance?

If all or any of these are true I don't see how this can be seen as an upgrade to the Spark. The size difference and realistic flight time just do not justify the convenience of traveling with the Spark and your just your phone (or no phone at all for that matter).

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

OK, so max bitrate is 40 MBps @ 2.7k. Anybody have a clue how that compares to the bitrate of the spark, the mavic pro and that of the mavic2 pro?
I have a spark, and am willing to upgrade if the video/photo quality is better. Also used to have a Mavic Pro (which, in hindsight REALLY lacked in the image quality depratment) and still have a Mavic 2 Pro (with nice image quality). I am not bothered by the lack of 4k, 2.7k is fine for me, as long as the quality is good. Any opinions on that?

Some comparisons with the Spark:-

1572554581946.png

Reactions: JoostGT3
No settings for video but you can set photo it settings
Nope. No manual settings for ISO, shutter speed. You can change the exposure and that’s it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying