DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Limiting Drone Capabilities is VERY Frustrating!

tstr14

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Went to a friend's house out in the boonies yesterday to do some electrical work and took the Mini 4 Pro because they had asked for some aerial shots of their farm. After the work was done, I took the drone outside, only to be asked to log in. To make a long and frustrating tale short, logging in could not be done and hence the drone would only fly at a height of 90+ feet, an altitude not high enough to capture the house and out buildings in one shot. At home, I logged in and did the update DJI was pestering to have done and all is well now, but another trip (over 50 miles one way) will have to be made to get the pictures they wanted.

It would be nice if the software would provide a warning, allowing operators perhaps 3 starts before going into restricted mode. It would be even nicer if there was no limiting to begin with, leaving it up to the operator/owner's discretion whether they want to upgrade at all. If DJI insists on having the limitation to help prevent thefts, then make the login local without requiring a WiFi/internet connection.

/Rant Mode=Off

This is a Pain , it happens to everyone , I make it part of my routine to startup the drone at home before any travels. With that said it took a hot minute for me to practice what I preach.

I think this happens because they clear the Cashe at some point on there end after an update

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Fly in the Rain, Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Went to a friend's house out in the boonies yesterday to do some electrical work and took the Mini 4 Pro because they had asked for some aerial shots of their farm. After the work was done, I took the drone outside, only to be asked to log in. To make a long and frustrating tale short, logging in could not be done and hence the drone would only fly at a height of 90+ feet, an altitude not high enough to capture the house and out buildings in one shot. At home, I logged in and did the update DJI was pestering to have done and all is well now, but another trip (over 50 miles one way) will have to be made to get the pictures they wanted.

It would be nice if the software would provide a warning, allowing operators perhaps 3 starts before going into restricted mode. It would be even nicer if there was no limiting to begin with, leaving it up to the operator/owner's discretion whether they want to upgrade at all. If DJI insists on having the limitation to help prevent thefts, then make the login local without requiring a WiFi/internet connection.

/Rant Mode=Off
The availability of an update doesn't put the drone into the limited mode. It's the fact that you're not logged into your DJI account. Logging in requires an internet connection; it's not a local process and cannot be done without internet access.

I fly regularly and haven't had to log into my account for more than a year. It wasn't even required when I started the Mini 2 last week after not flying it for at least 10 months.

Like Phantomrain.org says above, if I'm planning a trip out with the drone, it always gets fired up and checked for updates at home.
The Scottish Highlands are not wi-fi, weather, or phone signal friendly at the best of times, so that's always a box to tick before I leave.

Like Phantomrain.org says above, if I'm planning a trip out with the drone, it always gets fired up and checked for updates at home.
The Scottish Highlands are not wi-fi, weather, or phone signal friendly at the best of times, so that's always a box to tick before I leave.
It has never happened to me but I have read some are complaining they *did* log in the night before or the day of and whenever they arrived, they got triggered. Not out of the question since it's impossible to figure out why and when this happens.

Reactions: Jake 61
Lately I've gotten phone notifications in advance several days before a session renewal was required.

It would be nice if the software would provide a warning,
according to one or DJI mod the app is supposed to give you a warning that it will be logged out in 'x' days. I have not see that myself so don't know if it is true and I don't remember if they said it gives a countdown..
and did the update DJI was pestering to have done an
from what I hae seen they don't "pester" the app simply tells you that an update is available and leaves ypu to decide whether or not to install it, it's fairly easy to decline the invitation.

My drone would give its right arm to live where you do

It has never happened to me but I have read some are complaining they *did* log in the night before or the day of and whenever they arrived, they got triggered. Not out of the question since it's impossible to figure out why and when this happens.
I've never had any notifications from the app, but because weeks may pass between flights, I just check manually when I can connect with the house wi-fi.
My drone would give its right arm to live where you do
It is a beautiful part of the world, but with work, weather and time to go out, all needing to line up, Suzanne @AlbionDrones, has much better luck up here than I do...😂

/Rant Mode=Off
Lost cell connect way out on a dusty road many miles to find the same limitation vary sad :(

/Rant Mode=Off
I had the exact same thing last evening when I was about to demonstrate my Air 2s to very inquiring friends who wanted pictures and video of their property. Needless to say, they weren't very impressed with what a drone could do or my abilities. Now I too have to return to complete the shoot, only not so far.

My last 2 times that happened (no warning) I was in an area that said wifi available but without the password..no luck. Lesson learned, never leave home to fly without confirming login

My last 2 times that happened (no warning) I was in an area that said wifi available but without the password..no luck. Lesson learned, never leave home to fly without confirming login
Fine, except there is no way to "confirm" login. Too many people are reporting they are hit with the login request unexpectedly and without warning; don't you think if the answer was simply to take care of business *now* and have no problems later.....the complaints and the lack of transparency from DJI is obvious. Again, I believe you do check it beforehand and you may not get asked later but such a check is not a solution. People like me who never get asked means I never check so I know for sure checking doesn't fend off anything else I would get asked.

And then there are those who travel to no wifi locations and stay there for a number of days or weeks only to wake up one morning and get locked out, ugggh!

And then there are those who travel to no wifi locations and stay there for a number of days or weeks only to wake up one morning and get locked out, ugggh!
In that case, if phone service available, can use a phone as a temporary wifi hot spot, configured ahead of time..just in case. A seperate device and can connect to the phone wifi quickly, can even link using a QR code. Beats going home.

• Wow
Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
In that case, if phone service available, can use a phone as a temporary wifi hot spot, configured ahead of time..just in case. A seperate device and can connect to the phone wifi quickly, can even link using a QR code. Beats going home.
no wifi location = is short for no wifi and no cellular service

certainly you don't believe your fellow drone flyers are complaining about not having wifi everywhere, c'mon.

again, i don't have the problem but i'm starting to sympathize and even empathize with those who get slammed when the help they are offered is "open up a hotspot" or "borrow someone's phone" or "leave the resort and go back into town and lose half a day...." nonsense. How about fix the problem, DJI? the complaint is decouple the ridiculous wifi login in problem with the immediate crippling of the drone not designed to only fly effectively when wifi or cellular is available.

So yes, people are having to go home. Some have decided to take 2 drones in case one s**** the bed. I would be livid if I flew my drone all over Honolulu all day long and the next day I managed to score an overnight to a nearby remote island and my mavic3pro got grounded.

again, i don't know why i don't have the problem but it could be because my equipment isn't constantly connecting to different unsecured wifi networks and/or i'm not logging in and on on different devices daily or weekly....who knows.

The OP suggested they allow 3 warnings before restrictions set in.

Even just ONE would be a game changer. Simple logic to code... If logged in before + bound drone, warn in big unavoidable dialog that must be deliberately dismissed that the user must login in again after today to fly without restrictions. Allow unrestricted flight for 24h after being triggered.

Of course there are all sorts of ways to fine tune this and certainly things I've forgotten or failed to account for, but you get the point.

The OP suggested they allow 3 warnings before restrictions set in.

Even just ONE would be a game changer. Simple logic to code... If logged in before + bound drone, warn in big unavoidable dialog that must be deliberately dismissed that the user must login in again after today to fly without restrictions. Allow unrestricted flight for 24h after being triggered.

Of course there are all sorts of ways to fine tune this and certainly things I've forgotten or failed to account for, but you get the point.
That would get great. Love it. Except some people over the years have reported they just didn't get that kind of special treatment but instead the hammer dropped on them immediately. Hard to believe so many people have said as much but instead it was their own fault; possible but not probable. The way this "feature" actually works I wouldn't be surprised to find it is flawed because honestly it is not well thought out. People have lost "drone jobs" over this and that's not ok. If you provide to teh pilot details and accurate instructions and he failed to comply, that his fault. Follow the rules. BTW, I'd like to see them as well if anyone has them.

It occurrs to me that actually just checking to see whether or not the app is logged in prior to leaving an area with wifi is an insufficient check. A bit like checking that there is actually petrol in the tank but not checking the quantity.

I had two flight separated by an hour or so, for the first flight the app was logged in but it was logged out when I went to fly the second flight, I never did work out the cause of the log out.

I do not know what resets the time-out countdown clock but imjagine three options
1) a login
2) the device connecting to the internet irrespective of whether or not the app is running
3) the device connecting to the internet WHILST the app is running.

1) would be a real putz
2) would be great
3) would be good but not as good as 2)

Unfortunately, that I am aware of, DJI have not specified what "resets the clock".

However it occurs to me that if you want certainty then the thing to do BFORE you leave wifi coverage is log out and then log in again.

BUT be aware that logging out will be passed on to any other devices that are running the fly app and logged into that account and they will be logged out of the fly app when those othert devices next connect to the internet.

Last edited:
Expecting DJI to fix their bad software design?..... LOL... that's a good one. They actually think its perfect.
They built it just the way it is.
Like the ridiculous power switch misstep, can't have a power switch that works like everyone else, gotta mess it up.

Reactions: Len750
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oberon