Join Us Now

***DJI Mavic 2 Pro vs. DJI Mavic 2 Zoom - Comparison & Thoughts***

DJI Mavic 2 Pro or DJI Mavic 2 Zoom?

• Total voters

Anita Holder

Reactions
***DJI Mavic 2 Pro vs. DJI Mavic 2 Zoom - Comparison & Thoughts***

Buy it here: DJI Mavic 2 Series | Buy at DJI Online Store

DJI just released the brand new DJI Mavic 2 with two different editions! They're all decent machines, but what are the differences between the newest DJI Mavic 2 Pro and the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom? And which one is best for you? This little DJI Mavic 2 Pro vs DJI Mavic 2 Zoom comparison is important for DJI newcomers & longtime DJI drone owners as a reource for understanding the unique characteristics of these two drone models.

The Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom features include:
  • Flight time of up to 31 minutes
  • Maximum speed of 72 kph
  • 3-axis gimbal stabilization and 4K UHD video at 30 fps
  • Obstacle avoidance capabilities all around
  • 1/2.3" CMOS sensor and 12.0MP effective pixels (DJI Mavic 2 Zoom)
  • 1" CMOS sensor and 20.0MP effective pixels (DJI Mavic 2 Pro)
  • 1080p and 30 fps live view via app or remote control
  • POI 2.0, ActiveTrack 2.0, Hyperlapse, Waypoints 2.0
$1249 vs. $1449

DJI has absolutely done it again. I just compared the specs and features of the current Mavic 2 drones. The Mavic Pro 2 measures 354 mm diagonally, compared to the DJI Mavic 1 Pro’s 335-mm wingspan. As you did not expect, the newer DJI Mavic Pro 2 is also a fair bit heavier, tipping the scales at 907 g. So compared to the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom the DJI Mavic 2 Pro ist 2 grams heavier. Both drones fold up for easier storage and transport. The price is a very important factor for customers old and new. The DJI Mavic 2 Zoom is considerably cheaper than the DJI Mavic 2 Pro, costing just $1249. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro package costs $1449. The colouration oft he DJI Mavic 2 is has a little bit changed. Compared to the DJI Mavic 1, the grey colourway looks a little bit lighter.

20 MP photos vs. 12 MP photos

Most important: The DJI Mavic 2 Pro offer 20 MP photos in the hasselblad camera and a 1 inch CMOS sensor size. The DJI Mavic 2 Zoom‘s biggest flaw is that there is just a 1/2.3 inch CMOS sensor. So the specs are the same like the older DJI Mavic Air. But the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom has the ability to zoom in and out while you're recording video or shooting photos. So the Mavic Zoom offers 4x lossless zoom while you’re recording FHD video. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro does not have a zoom feature. So if this is important to you, well, that’s one more box to tick for the Zoom Model. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro has an adjustable aperture to avoid overexposure. Both drones can can record 4K video up to 30fps at a maximum bitrate of 100Mb/s (and in H.264). Most drones require a memory card to store the footage, but it doesn't matter if you forget your card. So the DJI Mavic 2 offers 8GB of internal storage like the DJI Mavic Air.Both drones offers Hyperlapse. With Hyperlapse, the DJI Mavic 2 shoots stable aerial shots and processes them automatically. Also both drones support the advanced H.265/HEVC codec, so there will 50% more information and details than videos in H.264/AVC. There are also some improvements with ActiveTrack. With the newer ActiveTrack 2.0 the DJI Mavic 2 maps a 3D view oft the environment through the main camera and the vision sensors in front. So this flight mode will work better. Also the DJI Mavic 2 can track fast moving subjects up to 72 kph!

Impressive obstacle avoidance

All two drones are equipped with obstacle sensing. The 3 dimensional sensing on this aircraft is impressive. So the DJI Mavic 2 offers an upward, downward, sideward, backward and forwars sensing system. So the APAS allow the aircraft to seamlessly bypass obstacles and other objects like trees oder walls in all directions. Let’s say you’re flying underneath something like a bridge, the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and DJI Mavic 2 Zoom is going to avoid obstacles while it’s tracking subjects or filming someone. Also there is an addtional bottom auxiliary light, which assists the downward sensors. Both drones reach a maximum speed of 45 mph (72 kph) and the Mavic 2 offers new low noise propellers. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro and DJI Mavic 2 Zoom has an impressive 31 minute flight time if there’s no wind.

What Drone to Buy – Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 2 Zoom?

So what do you think? If you are asking me, which drone to buy, I would definitely recommend betting on the better camera technology, which is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. What is your drone of choice? Which one would you choose? Do you know more important differences between DJI Mavic 2 Pro and DJI Mavic 2 Zoom?

Reactions: Tree_Top_Flyer
I'll wait for NLD to have access to unshackling before considering a purchase. I'd love to know what caused the cancellation of the original announcement and whether that might be a factor in the future.

The new features are nice, but I'm a casual recreational flyer so my modded MP suits me just fine for now. These will come down in price and if they are moddable, I'll take a closer look then.

Very happy that Parrot and Autel got a bit of a head-start; competition is always good to drive the tech forward.

Last edited:
Its too bad the cameras did not have higher megapixels or the pro had zoom.

12mp for a highish end drone from market leaders in 2018 is disgusting.

Even the Phantom 2 released at the START of January 2014 had 14mp.
You telling me a drone from the same company bragging about it being the most advanced over 4 and half years later with 2mp less is something to be happy about?

The pro seems like it will be good for video and photos, again, it would have been nice to have a zoom function, and the only thing preventing me buying it is my lack of trust in DJI wont come out with the same drone and camera, give it a zoom and make me want that one 3 months later. You know its going to happen.

Parrot have just released a very similar looking drone (anafi) for £629 which does 21mp photos and 2.8zoom.

The good thing is it appears to somewhat get around this with a stitching option which takes multiple photos, this will be good for many shots (landscape) and could be its saviour, but for fast moving scenes its still a no no as the action will be moving below and there's no software in the world which can stop a camera taking multiple photos and multiple perspectives and capture the world in that exact millisecond.

I will probably buy the pro, as I entirely agree, small powerful drones are the future, and I think overall the mavic PRO II will be an amazing tool, basically a phamtom 4 on stereoids, in a mavic shell. The 10 bit video and 1 inch sensor is at least a VERY welcome addition.

Don’t forget that - at least with the Pro - you can angle the camera UP, which is a first for the Mavic. Don’t know if the Zoom can do that.

The jump from 8 to 10 bit should make a massive difference in dynamic range and quality.

I'll wait for NLD to have access to unshackling before considering a purchase. I'd love to know what caused the cancellation of the original announcement and whether that might be a factor in the future.

The new features are nice, but I'm a casual recreational flyer so my modded MP suits me just fine for now. These will come down in price and if they are moddable, I'll take a closer look then.

Very happy that Parrot and Autel got a bit of a head-start; competition is always good to drive the tech forward.
Can I ask what you did to mod your MP?

Can I ask what you did to mod your MP?

Sure! Just off the top of my head (I've been tweaking here and there since last fall so changes have been incremental):

- Removed NFZ
- Removed need to login with DJI
- Removed flight reporting to DJI
- Removed altitude limit
- Rooted the firmware (part of ripping out NFZ process)
- Added ability to switch between maps from Here or Google
- Added topo database to display AGL altitude (above ground level) instead of altitude above/below takeoff point
- Set normal P-mode performance parameters (speed, tilt-angle limit, yaw rates, climb/descend rates etc) roughly between P and S modes
- Changed mode switch so that S is now ATTI mode instead of Sport mode to practice my skills when GPS lock is lost
- Silenced the RTH and low-battery beeping (all beeping, actually)
- Removed forced auto-land on low battery
- Changed auto-takeoff hover height from about 4 feet to about 7 feet to keep out of reach of kiddies

Probably a few other things I can't recall right now. Most done with NLD, some with Assistant 2 in Debug mode. Beeper silencing with separate utility SilencioRC (see thread here on MP).
Compared to others, my mods aren't very radical and are all reversible; have seen flights to about 10k feet altitude, 6 or 7 miles distance and speeds over 70mph with a tailwind. (Whee!)

No hardware mods such as amplified antennas, sidesaddle extra batteries etc. - I'm not planning to go for breaking any records, I just noodle around and have fun.
I do carry a parabolic slip-on antenna reflector for distance flying, and I added a Marco Polo tracking beacon; hope to never need it.

Last edited:
Fairly simple:

Do you NEEEEEEED Zoom capabilities? If so, go with Zoom. If not, go with Pro II as it has the 1" sensor and IQ (Image Quality) will be of benefit for video, images, HDR photos, etc.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
I understand it is difficult to improve over something that is already quite good and revolutionary in its own right but I am starting to feel that DJI either encountered some insurmountable limitations or made the wrong options.

1. The Mavic 2 Zoom camera is no improvement over the previous one.

2. If we want (...and I think we all do...) to improve picture quality via these new offers, we'll have to opt for the Mavic 2 Pro but them, the FOV will be a narrower one, something detrimental for aerial photography.

3. Opting for the Mavic 2 Zoom will bring along the zoom capability but 2x is just "meh!" (the promotional videos are misleading in this regard, something that is a shame. Going from equiv. 24mm to equiv. 48mm is not what is shown in, for instance, the giraffe video).

4. The 3-axis obstacle avoidance is kind of a sweet&sour offer. It is great that it does what it does. It is a pity it doesn't do it in full 360º-3D and that the lateral protection is not available in manual flight.

I will have to think thoroughly, if I want to upgrade now or wait for the next interaction...while pondering, I will also have to take into account that a new model will not appear in less than 1 1/2 - 2 years.

MK

I understand it is difficult to improve over something that is already quite good and revolutionary in its own right but I am starting to feel that DJI either encountered some insurmountable limitations or made the wrong options.

Im not sure we can tell that for now. We have no idea if its the same sensor or a newer revision. We also dont know what image processing SOC it uses.
All we know so far is "same size". Given the new M2 featureset i suspect they've had to upgrade both.

But until real people start getting this units and taking them apart, we wont know either way for sure.

2. If we want (...and I think we all do...) to improve picture quality via these new offers, we'll have to opt for the Mavic 2 Pro but them, the FOV will be a narrower one, something detrimental for aerial photography.

Mavic 1 was 26mm so going from 26 to 28mm is negligable. OK so its narrower if you want the 10 bit mode on top but that isnt going to be a massive issue.

3. Opting for the Mavic 2 Zoom will bring along the zoom capability but 2x is just "meh!" (the promotional videos are misleading in this regard, something that is a shame. Going from equiv. 24mm to equiv. 48mm is not what is shown in, for instance, the giraffe video).

24-48 is actually a really handy range to have. Its why most walk-around dslr lenses operate in that range. The giraffe video i suspect went to 2x optical AND dialled in the digital zoom.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I think it will depend on your primary use case. If you shoot mostly stills, go for the 20MP Hasselblad. If you shoot video, get the zoom. 4K H.265 video will still be useful even if you don't have all the raw resolution and light gathering capability of the 1" chip.

As for actually buying one, I haven't been flying much this year due to overwork. All the smoke from the wildfires doesn't help either. Since I don't see work slowing down any time soon I think I'll just keep what I have.

4. The 3-axis obstacle avoidance is kind of a sweet&sour offer. It is great that it does what it does. It is a pity it doesn't do it in full 360º-3D and that the lateral protection is not available in manual flight.

I will have to think thoroughly, if I want to upgrade now or wait for the next interaction...while pondering, I will also have to take into account that a new model will not appear in less than 1 1/2 - 2 years.

MK
Great points. I was wondering about some of the ZOOM Promo shots. Some seemed to be zoomed in a lot more that 2X. With the new Mavis 2 capabilities it seems you should be able to fly the drone closer as fast as you could zoom the lens? I went with the PRO 2.

Sure! Just off the top of my head (I've been tweaking here and there since last fall so changes have been incremental):

- Removed NFZ
- Removed need to login with DJI
- Removed flight reporting to DJI
- Removed altitude limit
- Rooted the firmware (part of ripping out NFZ process)
- Added ability to switch between maps from Here or Google
- Added topo database to display AGL altitude (above ground level) instead of altitude above/below takeoff point
- Set normal P-mode performance parameters (speed, tilt-angle limit, yaw rates, climb/descend rates etc) roughly between P and S modes
- Changed mode switch so that S is now ATTI mode instead of Sport mode to practice my skills when GPS lock is lost
- Silenced the RTH and low-battery beeping (all beeping, actually)
- Removed forced auto-land on low battery
- Changed auto-takeoff hover height from about 4 feet to about 7 feet to keep out of reach of kiddies

Probably a few other things I can't recall right now. Most done with NLD, some with Assistant 2 in Debug mode. Beeper silencing with separate utility SilencioRC (see thread here on MP).
Compared to others, my mods aren't very radical and are all reversible; have seen flights to about 10k feet altitude, 6 or 7 miles distance and speeds over 70mph with a tailwind. (Whee!)

No hardware mods such as amplified antennas, sidesaddle extra batteries etc. - I'm not planning to go for breaking any records, I just noodle around and have fun.
I do carry a parabolic slip-on antenna reflector for distance flying, and I added a Marco Polo tracking beacon; hope to never need it.
I need to know how you made all of these mods please.

I need to know how you made all of these mods please.

It's not simple to explain in a single posting; there's a bit of a learning curve to figure out the tools needed and where to make changes. Not difficult to do once you learn a bit about it, but like drinking from a firehose, so you have to start slowly and build knowledge.

The main tool is NLD from NoLimitDronez (dot) com, start there; it's from the guys who discovered how to do modding and is inexpensive. But you'll have a lot of questions and may need some support assistance - check the modding subforum on this board and take a look at the "DJI Mods" subforum on "multi copter pilots (dot) com" as well (remove the spaces), where there is a very good collection of info and people who know this stuff inside and out.

Reactions: Wipster
It's not simple to explain in a single posting; there's a bit of a learning curve to figure out the tools needed and where to make changes. Not difficult to do once you learn a bit about it, but like drinking from a firehose, so you have to start slowly and build knowledge.

The main tool is NLD from NoLimitDronez (dot) com, start there; it's from the guys who discovered how to do modding and is inexpensive. But you'll have a lot of questions and may need some support assistance - check the modding subforum on this board and take a look at the "DJI Mods" subforum on "multi copter pilots (dot) com" as well (remove the spaces), where there is a very good collection of info and people who know this stuff inside and out.
I bought Russian hack but it has not worked yet.

Great points. I was wondering about some of the ZOOM Promo shots. Some seemed to be zoomed in a lot more that 2X. With the new Mavis 2 capabilities it seems you should be able to fly the drone closer as fast as you could zoom the lens? I went with the PRO 2.

The official video shows it as using the optical zoom then the 2x digital "zoom" so the Giraffe shot goes from 24mm to 96mm with that. But obviously it only really zooms to 48mm (2x). The rest is just software.

I bought Russian hack but it has not worked yet.

I hope you're not serious; you didn't really buy that ripoff, did you? If so, I also hope you found a way to get a refund.
If you want to change things, go with NLD; it works, it's supported, it improves regularly and it's inexpensive.

For me the MP is a perfect drone only really lacking one thing, aperture abilities.
The 1 inch sensor is a welcome improvement, as is the 360 sensors.
Being able to fly for longer, and faster might be fun when tracking my friends water skiing....

I’ll probably invest but only after selling my MP.
Regards

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
I’m unconvinced about the need for a zoom. The best zoom control is done in post where you can dial in slow zoom and pans. Zoom during video with a lens is usually a bad idea and should be used slowly and minimally. It also is irreversible. That jaggedly jerky quick zoom will be tossed out. Whereas if you have a great dense image from the 1” sensor, full 4K to work with you have lots of options to build in careful movement and crop in tight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d