DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI MAVIC 3 CLASSIC - NOVEMBER 2ND 2022

I was thinking these were filters of some kind, Vivid , classic, ect but I hope your right.
The subject line in the email was "Get ready for a Classic"
So it certainly looks like the Mavic 3 Classic will be official on Nov 2nd.

Reactions: Droniac
If the price is $700 less for an identical drone without the tele-thingy, I'd say the original M3 really needs some additional functionality. Like SDK etc. I'd understand a difference of $100 tops. $700 for that thingy? No.

Yep confirmation that everyone that bought the Mavic 3, Mavic 3 Cine and the Pro Controller were SCREWED!!!
How so?

The Classic is an alternative entry level Air 2S upgrade without the superior RC Pro controller nor the 7x telephoto, which is a game changer. It will most likely come bundled with the new dumbed down $309 DJI RC, so any savings from what the 7x telephoto costs on the Mavic 3 will be offset by a $200 increase in the included RC cost over the RC-N1. We shall see.

Last edited:
If the price is $700 less for an identical drone without the tele-thingy, I'd say the original M3 really needs some additional functionality. Like SDK etc. I'd understand a difference of $100 tops. $700 for that thingy? No.
SDK is guaranteed to be available for the Mavic 3 before the Mavic 3 Classic. It takes around 12 months after release to write it. Classic is highly unlikely to be $700 cheaper, unless still sold with the crippled RC-N1, or without any RC. It will most likely have the $200 more expensive RC than the Mavic 3's RC-N1, which is the DJI RC, to offset the missing 7x telephoto camera. Mavic 3 is already only $2050, $150 cheaper than the $2200 it was at release. I'm guessing Classic at $1350-$1550, depending upon the included RC, and around $2000 for the Fly More version with the cheaper DJI RC. Add $1200 more for the superior RC Pro. We'll see on Nov. 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: maggior
How so?

The Classic is an alternative entry level Air 2S upgrade without the superior RC Pro controller nor the 7x telephoto, which is a game changer. It will most likely come bundled with the new dumbed down $309 DJI RC, so any savings from what the 7x telephoto costs on the Mavic 3 will be offset by a $200 increase in the included RC cost over the RC-N1. We shall see.

I think the classic is more to try and get those Mavic 2 owners to spend some money by buying the M3 Classic

I think the classic is more to try and get those Mavic 2 owners to spend some money by buying the M3 Classic
As a Mavic 2 owner, who bought both the M2P and the M2Z totaling $3,000, each with their own different strengths, the upgrade to the Mavic 3 for $3000 was a no brainer, for the 50% increase in flight time, and the 7x telephoto, all in one single drone. However, even the solo M2P purchasers spent $1700 at release for the basic kit. Upgrading a three year old M2P to the Mavic 3 for $2050 doesn't seem like that much of a stretch, especially if they want 10 more minutes of flight time, and also yearned for a telephoto M2Z camera, but didn’t spend the money 3 years ago to get one.

However, if they have no interest whatsoever in the 7x telephoto (likely because they never tried the M2Z to see how effective even 2x to 4x can be, and don't understand the viewer impact of optical telephoto perspective changes), and would rather spend the prospective Mavic 3 Classic savings on the RC Pro, it might be the inducement they need, although the change from GO 4 to the Fly app and no available SDK might cause them to reconsider, if they can't yet use Litchi, and that is often important to them.

I really see the Mavic 3 Classic as more of an Air 2S upgrade, or supplement, especially for those that got the Air 2S with the RC Pro last winter, when the Smart Controller was unavailable at no additional cost! Those happy owners are already accepting of the Fly app and might be even be happy with 4x digital zoom on the Classic 4/3 sensor, instead of a dedicated 7x telephoto. They just want the sensor upgrade and 10 minute increase in flight time.

A lot will depend upon the pricing and configuration of each Mavic 3 Classic bundle to be announced on Tuesday! We'll soon see!

Reactions: Droniac
.....and here it comes everyone!

View attachment 156378
“Classic” By its definition, a standard, model, guide. I think that’s a good clue. Changes? Exclude the apparent issues creating a resistance of sales of the M3 (which I’m guessing was not expected…). Inclusions have me very interested and stumped a bit

However, if they have no interest whatsoever in the 7x telephoto (likely because they never tried the M2Z to see how effective even 2x to 4x can be, and don't understand the viewer impact of optical telephoto perspective changes),
After selling my Phantoms I have settled on Mavic 2 Pro as my workhorse drone. But like most other drones I feel the wideangle lens can be limiting in many situations, often I need a narrower field of view.
So yesterday I purchased a lightly used Mavic 2 Zoom (for $530), I think it will be a perfect supplement to the M2 Pro.
I can use the same charger, batteries, remote and accessories (except filters), and not least it also uses the Go4 app.
I have never flown the Zoom but I am pretty excited about testing it. It seems to me like a versatile drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin