DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Air Charging port broken

what does manufacturer design say of aftermarket rc charge port alteration?

Good luck with the magnetic cable system. My luck was poor due to the strong earth magnet was interfering with connection. My story, in short... I installed the part into controller flew the mavic pro up to about 60 feet. Disconnect from controller. The RTH kicked in drone landed. Restarted everything. Drone went up to 100ft ... Disconnect from controller. RTH INITIATED. Landed... took the USB magnetic connector off the remote.. issue gone.... installed it again on remote, disconnect...so I uninstalled them from all my drones... I also had magnetic interference issues when it was installed on the Autel Evo controller. So, I dont trust them now... to each its own....

Yep! I saw the same thing. I use them on little things like my Tello charger, Icon X earbuds case, etc but not on a transmitter.

For what its worth, A guy sent his to DJI out of warranty and it cost $11 total to fix it. Otherwise, many cell phone repair shops work on drones as well.

You guys dive in fixin to fixit
Understand design at era selects from avail stash and economy too
Do it right
Theres five nodes: cathode, anode, data, dataground, and identity (amongst others, presence trigger, custom)

Considering enormous cycles of connects disconnects select reliable durable junction.
Constraint is low profile and tiny and without radiated leak
From what avail failures cited, looks like spring leafed contact fingers loose their resilience snugging its mate prelude problems

Maybe this springleaf concept is just no good. Recall surface amount invites more radiated leak (noise interference) jiving frequency.
Like ballpointpen plunger springed resilience, concept can be applied, pressure contact maintained hard, good
How to micro size?
Choose what array topology preclude radiated neighbor crosstalk impact
Choose conductor size smallest so short length, dont forget shield membrane protects exterior hassles

Attachments

• 2dcf88acaa8f7d6970413600edcff128.jpg
    2dcf88acaa8f7d6970413600edcff128.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 37
My charging port broke after the first charge, within the first 3 hours of ownership. The center conductor in the controller stayed inside DJI supplied plug as I removed it. DJI charged me $72. Took almost 2 weeks to get repaired. This poor design is a DJI moneymaker.

My charging port broke after the first charge, within the first 3 hours of ownership. The center conductor in the controller stayed inside DJI supplied plug as I removed it. DJI charged me $72. Took almost 2 weeks to get repaired. This poor design is a DJI moneymaker.

Wow.. That's crazy! In my case DJI thinks the port is fried. And I also follow that way. I am trying the DOA method, otherwise RMA.

Hi

I fitted a magnetic charging adapter to my remote last night and charged it with no problems. Took the drone for a test flight flew fine with no drop outs down to 30% battery and retuned to home with faultless precision landing. Quite a few posts regarding using these types of charging leads most seem to be positive. Will come back if I encounter any issues.

Hi

I fitted a magnetic charging adapter to my remote last night and charged it with no problems. Took the drone for a test flight flew fine with no drop outs down to 30% battery and retuned to home with faultless precision landing. Quite a few posts regarding using these types of charging leads most seem to be positive. Will come back if I encounter
Good luck with the magnetic cable system. My luck was poor due to the strong earth magnet was interfering with connection. My story, in short... I installed the part into controller flew the mavic pro up to about 60 feet. Disconnect from controller. The RTH kicked in drone landed. Restarted everything. Drone went up to 100ft ... Disconnect from controller. RTH INITIATED. Landed... took the USB magnetic connector off the remote.. issue gone.... installed it again on remote, disconnect...so I uninstalled them from all my drones... I also had magnetic interference issues when it was installed on the Autel Evo controller. So, I dont trust them now... to each its own....

I should of mentioned my experience with the magnetic adapter before the issues I had. Yes, the drone flew several missions without a hitch, then the issue with disconnects arose. As I mentioned before I tested the adapters and they failed me. So I took them off the RC's.... I think I'm going to do an experiment. I'm going to install them again and fly at the place I did not have the disconnects. Maybe, just maybe it's a location issue. (I'm just thinking this). I hope I won't regret this experiment.

I have been using these cables for almost a year, and I have never had a single problem with them causing interference. You can leave the magnetic port in there forever. I have used it on mavic pros, airs, and Sparks.

If you re getting disconnects then it could be the plug. I have never had that problem in all the cables and controllers that I have used it on.

If the magnetic cable causes problems for you, just get a reversible micro USB cable. Then you will never break the port again.

That rc side usb receptacle is very fragile. so just treat it with attention to detail. we do it charging and transferring data on our cellphones, no problem. just that flying is more fieldwork incurring increased risk

I have been using these cables for almost a year, and I have never had a single problem with them causing interference. You can leave the magnetic port in there forever. I have used it on mavic pros, airs, and Sparks.

I use these for everything, including a Magnetic USB-C cord for my MacBook Pro. Love them [emoji106]

IMG_8551.JPG

Reactions: Judge George
I use these for everything, including a Magnetic USB-C cord for my MacBook Pro. Love them [emoji106]

View attachment 71208
When I looked at this picture my gut twisted, when I had them installed on my controllers I had several close proximity disconnects. Good Luck using them.. like I mentioned I had no issues, then disconnects galour using them. Never had disconnects before using them. I uninstalled them, disconnects.....gone....it was my experience...

When I looked at this picture my gut twisted, when I had them installed on my controllers I had several close proximity disconnects. Good Luck using them.. like I mentioned I had no issues, then disconnects galour using them. Never had disconnects before using them. I uninstalled them, disconnects.....gone....it was my experience...

I guess there are many variables that could be causing this, but I have never had a disconnect since owning the Mavic.
I have flown miles out over water and reached Max height over mountains in Maui all with this charging connector on. [emoji6]
YMMV

Ok guys and gals,

I installed the magnetic USB cables back onto the Mavic 2 and flew back at the place I got no close proximity controller to AC disconnects. I then went to the place (I did get the disconnects). I had no disconnects at all. So I had to think about it... What is different now compared to when I had them (disconnects). #1 Time...I had them (disconnects) closer to the evening when the Everyone in the neighborhood were home. #2 they were putting on an addition onto a house next to were i flew. That's gone now... lots of metals around then. Lots of scaffolding. Anyways I put a list of places to fly. If I get 0 disconnects then I will install them again on all the RC's...wow, what a project.... I like the convenience to them and saving the USB slots from damage...

Reactions: Former Member
Wow, you folks tackled open and install and reassemble
I dont have workbench facilitation although my hands finesse can knot a blood vessel using merely two fingers.

Reactions: Former Member

Or you paint a white top on top of the cord so you don't try to install it incorrectly. Micro USB isn't new and people have had the same problem with other devices. DJI didn't invent micro USB for God's sake! Geez!

Besides, I'm having a tough time believing that DJI or the store you purchased the drone from wouldn't warranty it after "three hours of ownership".

Or you paint a white top on top of the cord so you don't try to install it incorrectly. Micro USB isn't new and people have had the same problem with other devices. DJI didn't invent micro USB for God's sake! Geez!

Besides, I'm having a tough time believing that DJI or the store you purchased the drone from wouldn't warranty it after "three hours of ownership".
it merely boils down to user attentiveness to details. human vigilance, waryness, of what youre doing to the devices is very beneficial.
when stuff gets miniaturized while our dexterity doesnt accommodate in the handling of it, trouble usually ensues.

it merely boils down to user attentiveness to details. human vigilance, waryness, of what youre doing to the devices is very beneficial.
when stuff gets miniaturized while our dexterity doesnt accommodate in the handling of it, trouble usually ensues.

It's not even that I don't agree that DJI should go to USB C. It's just that you knew what type of connector it was to begin with. Who hasn't used Micro USB? When the Mavic Pro first came out, Micro USB was basically the standard across the board. It allowed us to use our regular phone chargers, power banks, etc. Now it's "garbage" and a "design flaw".... yeesh.

It's not even that I don't agree that DJI should go to USB C. It's just that you knew what type of connector it was to begin with. Who hasn't used Micro USB? When the Mavic Pro first came out, Micro USB was basically the standard across the board. It allowed us to use our regular phone chargers, power banks, etc. Now it's "garbage" and a "design flaw".... yeesh.
you gotta figure promulgating the mavic air started at minimum one year before 23Jan2018 debut. design prototyping fell back on records of prior existing devices. thats why craft has usbC and rc not. in other words had promulgation occurred earlier than 2017 year then aircraft would not feature usbC.
essentially the timing of usbC debut and its implementation into rc for mavic air was altogether bypassed, on merits of deadlined debut, cost, and the lack of complaints on existent micro usb junctions employed in existent aircraft and rc

you gotta figure promulgating the mavic air started at minimum one year before 23Jan2018 debut. design prototyping fell back on records of prior existing devices. thats why craft has usbC and rc not. in other words had promulgation occurred 2017 year then aircraft would not feature usbC.
essentially the timing of usbC debut and its implementation into rc for mavic air was altogether bypassed, on merits of deadlined debut, cost, and the lack of complaints on existent micro usb junctions employed in existent aircraft and rc

I'm guessing the most obvious reason for the use of Micro USB A is simple....$$$$ They already were using it for all of their cords, remotes, etc. I'm sure that the next drone will use USB Type C, just like the Smart Controller does. The M2P is somewhat of a transition, with the controller using Micro USB A and the drone using USB Type C. Again, I can understand some level of frustration or irritation but anger? The equipment is what it is, it's not a surprise or flaw. Use it as it's designed and you won't have any problems.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest