DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Air Charging port broken

I didn't use a lot of force. Just it didn't click in pace. Tried it again, and It didn't charge. I checked the inside and it was like that in the picture.

This was the 2nd time I charged the RC. So in total it has 1 charge.

I find this connector to be very fragile, and the use of an adapter increases the potential for trouble - I generally don't like adapters for routine use. I use the side port for charging the RC ONLY, and do so with a dedicated cable with reversible connector, so there will be NO wrong orientation. For data connection to my iPhone, I use a short cable from the Lightning port to the bottom USB data port on the RC..

That rc side usb receptacle is very fragile. so just treat it with attention to detail. we do it charging and transferring data on our cellphones, no problem. just that flying is more fieldwork incurring increased risk
Exactly, use a magnetic tip, put it in and LEAVE IT IN. It will not cause a problem, use the bottom port on the RC to connect to the display.

Reactions: Former Member
Update:

The drone was repaced under DOA by DJI. 3 days including shipping to them and back and I have a new Mavic Air.

Hands down the best support ever from any company.

Still it is so worrying and just awful that they make the port so cheap..

I bought a Mavic Pro. Lets hope it won't happen again. Thanks y'all!

Reactions: Thomas B and Shon

See above. If you buy the magneric tip Micro USB cable, put the tip in correctly and leave it. Use the bottom USB port to connect to your display.
The magnetic tip will not interfere with anything.
Night and day difference between AC, have fun, fly safe.

Update:

The drone was repaced under DOA by DJI. 3 days including shipping to them and back and I have a new Mavic Air.

Hands down the best support ever from any company.

Still it is so worrying and just awful that they make the port so cheap..

Does DJI have a drive-through now?

See above. If you buy the magneric tip Micro USB cable, put the tip in correctly and leave it. Use the bottom USB port to connect to your display.
The magnetic tip will not interfere with anything.
Night and day difference between AC, have fun, fly safe.
Agree.

I bought this USB-C female to USB male adaptor due to the delicacy of that port, so I don;t have to unplug for charging. Works great:20190516_234015.jpg

Or you paint a white top on top of the cord so you don't try to install it incorrectly. Micro USB isn't new and people have had the same problem with other devices. DJI didn't invent micro USB for God's sake! Geez!

Besides, I'm having a tough time believing that DJI or the store you purchased the drone from wouldn't warranty it after "three hours of ownership".

Believe it, I had to pay to get my controller fixed, and I did.

The store said to contact DJI and were under the false assumption that a bad part would be covered under warranty.

DJI was not interested in fixing it in warranty.

I even paid for "extra care", which they said only covers the aircraft and not the controller.

And yes, I have owned many micro USB B devices, and was surprised when the center came out with the adapter.

*** Please note, that the adapter was inside the controller in the correct orientation, charging the controller, and when removed, the center piece of the connector came out with the adapter. ***

Yes, DJI didn't invent the micro USB B connector, but they put in the original connector design, not the later design which has the outside so the cable can only go in one direction. It was suggested to use REVERSIBLE Micro USB Cables, Amazon.com: REVERSIBLE Micro USB Cable (10 FT, 3 Packs), FosPower [Extra Long | Full Speed Charging] Micro USB Cable Durable Built for Samsung Galaxy S7/S6/S5,Note 5/4/3,HTC,LG,Android Devices (Gold): Cell Phones & Accessories

Orientation is not a factor, however, if the now replaced micro USB connector fails again, I have no hopes of DJI doing the right thing and fixing a bad design decision under warranty.

I am not trying to be a jerk, and everyone has his own thoughts about some companies and their experiences with them, in this case DJI in particular.

The whole proces of documents, pictures etc toke 1 day. Most of the time why it toke longer was my fault. They even called me to explain everything what I should sent in the box etc.

I sent it out, it was delivered a day later. 30mins after it was recieved I recieved already shipping confirmitation of a brand new drone. One day later it was there at the door.

Keeping in mind that this matter was my fault, I used to much rough force probably this is still for me, in my opinion the best customer/warranty support I've ever had or saw in any product catlgory.

The store said to contact DJI and were under the false assumption that a bad part would be covered under warranty.

I even paid for "extra care", which they said only covers the aircraft and not the controller.

And yes, I have owned many micro USB B devices, and was surprised when the center came out with the adapter.

*** Please note, that the adapter was inside the controller in the correct orientation, charging the controller, and when removed, the center piece of the connector came out with the adapter. ***

Yes, DJI didn't invent the micro USB B connector, but they put in the original connector design, not the later design which has the outside so the cable can only go in one direction. It was suggested to use REVERSIBLE Micro USB Cables, Amazon.com: REVERSIBLE Micro USB Cable (10 FT, 3 Packs), FosPower [Extra Long | Full Speed Charging] Micro USB Cable Durable Built for Samsung Galaxy S7/S6/S5,Note 5/4/3,HTC,LG,Android Devices (Gold): Cell Phones & Accessories

Orientation is not a factor, however, if the now replaced micro USB connector fails again, I have no hopes of DJI doing the right thing and fixing a bad design decision under warranty.

Reactions: Thomas B
I'm happy it worked out for you. My first time experience with DJI was a nightmare. I would rather have a colonoscopy than deal with them. DJI uses a connector that can be easily broken, then when it does break, they assume (in my case) customer malpractice. In the long run, thinking about DJI has me spending way to much time and energy in my head, and it's time to take the high road and forgive and forget. It is a good product non the less.

Hmm... well, I can't account for your experience. I purchased the Mavic Pro shortly after launch and have flown hundreds of times with it. Charged the controller many times and as I said, I recognized that Micro USB A is a pain and put a white dot on the cord. I've never had a problem.

The one thing I know is the time it broke isn't necessarily the time it was damaged. You may have tried to plug it in incorrectly previously, causing damage that finally resulted in a failure of the part with continued usage.

They used that plug primarily because it was the best solution for the cable that connects your phone. They had to use something that easily converted between Lightning, USB C and Micro USB. At the time, Micro USB A was the ticket. They continued with it on subsequent models for the same reason Apple continues to use Lightning, namely continuity. They will change soon, I'm sure.

That is an awful lot of leverage on the display port with the addition of the adaptor.
I don't understand your comment. How is the adapter "putting leverage" on the display port?
The cable goes from the RC through the slot in the left RC arm and plugs into the display for flying or into the adapter for charging the RC. Isn't the adapter in place only when charging the RC?

putting leverage
The plug on the end of the cable is probably somewhere between 3/8" and 5/8" long depending on the manufacturer. when you add another (guessing 1") adapter. Any decent bump will have a lot of leverage on the connections and port.
Not something I care to do but it is not my rig. IMHO better to get the proper cable end for the USB cable.

I just had the same issue. I pushed the charger in upside down and broke off the small plastic piece inside. I would rather not buy a whole new controller and my controller is well out of warranty.

Besides taking it to a cell phone shop to get it repaired anyone know how or where I can buy parts to fix it? I found "button boards" for the mavic but they do not look the same as the one in the mavic air controller and I can't find any for sale for the mavic air. This can't be a hard DIY fix. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

I use the bottom one (data) when I fly so that the side one will not get exercised. When/If the side one breaks again, I'm thinking of just opening up the controller and on the inside, add a wire to connect the 5 volt line on the bottom connector to the +5 on the side connector. That way I could then charge the controller with the bottom connector. (as the controller should have been designed to do in the first place)

I bought this USB-C female to USB male adaptor due to the delicacy of that port, so I don;t have to unplug for charging. Works great:View attachment 73112
I realize this is an older thread but, you have the best fix I've seen for using the poorly designed DJI port. My oem charging adapter fits loose and I have to set the cord just right for my RC to charge. As far as I can see, nothings wrong with the RC tab. Upon connecting the same adapter as you, it fits nice and snug due to being rectangle. Good job for a poor design. ?

Reactions: NOLADG

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000