DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Air lost control flyaway

inexile

Reactions
I am currently traveling in Vietnam and decided to fly my drone in a mountainous area. shortly after takeoff the controls become unresponsive and and I couldnt get it back to home before the battery ran out. I dont know much about how to read the logs but seems like there an esc error.

ive had the drone for about a year, original props,no DJI care. always been cautious and have never pushed the drone to its limits.

any feedback is appreciated, thanks

View attachment DJIFlightRecord_2019-10-07_[14-12-34].txt

I am currently traveling in Vietnam and decided to fly my drone in a mountainous area. shortly after takeoff the controls become unresponsive and and I couldnt get it back to home before the battery ran out. I dont know much about how to read the logs but seems like there an esc error.
Your flight data looks like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
There are a couple of problems with this flight.
The big problem is that you started the flight with a battery that had been sitting around discharging.
The voltage was already quite low when you started.
The other problem is that although you could turn the drone and fly back, you kept flying further away until it autolanded due to the battery voltage being too low.

What you thought might be an ESC error was the drone limiting how hard you could push it because the battery voltage was so low.
If you had been able to push it at full speed, it would have rapidly drained the battery and the drone would have fallen from the sky.

thanks for your feedback. I did takeoff with a battery that was at about 60%. I didnt intend for a long flight and just wanted to take some pictures of my surroundings.

When i wanted to return to home and land, it would not fly in my direction and it seemed the controls werent fully responsive. I had a flight about an hour earlier that wrnt off without any problems.

thanks again for any additional feedback
The big problem is that you started the flight with a battery that had been sitting around discharging.
The other problem is that although you could turn the drone and fly back, you kept flying further away until it autolanded due to the battery voltage being too low.

What you thought might be an ESC error was the drone limiting how hard you could push it because the battery voltage was so low.
If you had been able to push it at full speed, it would have rapidly drained the battery and the drone would have fallen from the sky.

I guess that could be the cause, but the log data don't seem at all conclusive. The cell voltages did drop but they were nowhere near the critical level, and the requested tilt levels (i.e. motor load) were not very high:

Graph1.png

I would need to see the motor data in the mobile device DAT file (FLY026.DAT) to be convinced.

@inexile - if you want to retrieve and post that then there may be more definitive data there.

How to retrieve a mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Hi, thanks for taking a closer look at this. Ive attached the .dat file

Attachments

• 19-10-07-02-11-09_FLY026.DAT
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
Hi, thanks for taking a closer look at this. Ive attached the .dat file

This wasn't a battery problem, it was just too windy for the aircraft in P-mode. The motor speeds follow the motor commands from the FC, and are unreasonably high. It was quite windy, and the maximum P-mode tilt for the MA is 15%, which it maxed out at for much of the flight.

motors.png

sar104 is good in analyzing those flight records.

Does it means switching to Sport mode can possible to recover the aircraft.?

There are so much to learn. Thank you.

Does it means switching to Sport mode can possible to recover the aircraft.?
Only up to a point and if you have enough battery to deal with the extra drain Sport Mode puts on it.
Sport Mode only flies a little faster than P-GPS mode and if the wind is too strong and/or you have flown too far downwind, you could still lose your drone.
It's much better to avoid getting into that sort of situation.

Well noted.
I believed the pilot didn't know he is flying along strong downwind.
It was a short flight.
Is it possible to avoid this situation.?
Thank you for sharing and advice.

I believed the pilot didn't know he is flying along strong downwind.
Is it possible to avoid this situation.?
A little awareness of your flying environment is essential.
Look at the wind and what it is doing to any trees, grass etc, feel it on your face.
Not the direction of the wind.
Be aware that the wind is going to be stronger up high.
Before you go far, try flying into the wind to see how much it affects your speed.
Is it significant or nothing to worry about?

Reactions: calmar81
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS