DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Green Water

kzisme

Reactions
Hello all! First post here and fairly new Mavic Owner!

I've been taking some photos/videos in Clearwater FL, and I ended up buying PolarPro ND filters to try them out.

In my photos/video I ended up with _really_ green water. I'm curious if it was due to a camera setting I may have changed or something else.

All of the photos/videos have the same color water near the shore as the below photo:
Imgur

I'm open to any other suggestions aside from tweaking it in post.

Hi... if photo not modified in post production, I have no idea, never seen that before....

Waylander

A neutral density filter is *neutral*. Its not going to change any colours.

A polariser can do but not a neutral density.

What we see as green water might actually be the sandy bottom with the sky reflection removed by PL filter. I fly over the coastline a lot and see too.

Reactions: kzisme
What we see as green water might actually be the sandy bottom with the sky reflection removed by PL filter. I fly over the coastline a lot and see too.
Ah interesting - first time flying over the coast/ocean so makes sense

I flew in Lauderdale by the Sea last weekend, and I used Polar Pro ND 32.
I did not have that issue at all.
View attachment 43475

Nice photo! I ended up flying again with my filter off and the green was gone...I suppose the filter removed some of the reflection off of the top of the water and made it look green for some reason...VERY strange

Thanks for the tip! I ended up flying without the filter to test this and the green was gone...strange!

Thanks, it looks better after post color correction. That's the raw to show you for comparison.
Were you using regular nd filters our polarized?
Nice photo! I ended up flying again with my filter off and the green was gone...I suppose the filter removed some of the reflection off of the top of the water and made it look green for some reason...VERY strange

Yeah, those are polarized. They are a pita. You have to rotate them to the right angle. Try it again with a regular nd filters not polarized and see if you get the results you are seeking.

Yeah, those are polarized. They are a pita. You have to rotate them to the right angle. Try it again with a regular nd filters not polarized and see if you get the results you are seeking.

Ah shoot - I just returned home from my trip, but at least I know for next time. Are the PL ones worth keeping, or would you suggest just returning them for regular ND filters?

EDIT: It appears that the ones I have are _not_ polarized based on their reply here:

Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

Unless I'm incorrect.

Last edited:
It's simple. Look at the side of the lens, if out says pl they are polarized.
Personally, I prefer to shoot with regular Nd non polarized.
I can't be bothered with fitting the polarized lens, putting the bird in the air, checking the image, bringing it down, adjust, repeat.
I suppose you will learn with time and not have to readjust as often, but to me it's a waste of time for my shooting needs.
I'm sure some Will disagree
Ah shoot - I just returned home from my trip, but at least I know for next time. Are the PL ones worth keeping, or would you suggest just returning them for regular ND filters?

EDIT: It appears that the ones I have are _not_ polarized based on their reply here:

Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

Unless I'm incorrect.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+