DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Pro Platinum (Just Released)

Very true, but do you mean the official Prop Guards/Cage? If so these use proprietary props don't they?
Yes - they do use special props for the cage thing - so I was hoping the special props for the cage & the cage would be compatible with the Platinum. Logic says yes but..

Reactions: UAVMan
No arguing that the improvements are cool. However, after a lot of recent product research (i.e. shopping), it seems that the community consensus was that the camera was the Mavic Pro's weak point. Quieter and longer flight time is super cool, but now I'm in an even bigger quandary on my first "grown up" drone choice. Ugh.
Lancer its true the Gimbal and Camera are the weak points BUT if you want a camera platform you should look towards the P4. The Mavic is a 'go anywhere' drone, this is its USP. You can't market it too close to another model in the range or you'd have NO RANGE. I'd guess this time 2018 we'll see Mavic 2 but for now I'm more than happy with a 4k drone I can stand on a mountain with and not need sherpas to carry the **** thing.

On the rcgroups, dr t (designer) just mentioned that the 1080p 60fps mode is solved by changing hardware. So probably not the cam and optics but control hardware.
No new cam, but it gains 1080p 60fps for recording and not just the goggles
This is awesome, but I didn't see this on the specs page. is the 1080p @ 60 confirmed?

40% reduction in noise seem substantial. That would be about half as loud as it is now.
Unfortunately not. Human ear is logarithmic. To have feeling of 2 times noise reduction the number should be 20dB, not 4. 4dB reduction corresponds to 1.6 times increase of distance from the noise source.

Reactions: Merlin23
I'm pretty sure they'll have sorted out hundreds of little bugs and replaced huge amounts of hardware inside, but they won't advertise this to us. That would admit faults...:D

Wow we're not at the point a new colour gets on the feature list are we? Oh wait, forgot about the Spark there for a minute.

I'll try the props as who does not like quieter, but this is the best non announcement yet. Really happy, the Mavic Pro lives on.

Whew!
I thought that they were about to drive a wedge between me and my Mavic Pro...but nah, I'll just get us a set of those newfangled props and call it a day.

Reactions: go fast
Unfortunately not. Human ear is logarithmic. To have feeling of 2 times noise reduction the number should be 20dB, not 4. 4dB reduction corresponds to 1.6 times increase of distance from the noise source.
For sound every 3db increase is double the sound level. The formula is db=10 log power out /power in.
You are thinking of db for voltage. Db=20 log voltage out/voltage in. In that case 6db is double.

For those trying to determine what the sound reduction translates too in real-world terms, which is really what matters, this chart should help:

soundlevels.jpg

My guess is that Mavic up close is about 85 Db. So a 4 Db reduction would not be that much of a *perceived* difference. Wind and other environmental variables will have a much larger impact.

Reactions: Kevin Glamuzina
From what I understand, 4 dB will barely be perceivable to most people. The marketing around this is highly misleading (not surprising for DJI). My guess is there will likely be a 5-10% reduction in sound in terms of how it's perceived by people - i.e. barely noticeable. At absolute most, it will be 15-20% - this would at least be noticeable, but still not a major difference relative to the Mavic Pro.

Also, the claim of 30 min. battery life is hard to believe. The most I ever get in real-world use (only under ideal conditions) is 19-23 min. (usually around 20-21 min.). An 11% increase would mean an additional ~2 min. But since you always have to take these types of claims with a huge grain of salt, I'd cut that in half and say you will typically see about 1 min. of improvement on Mavic Platinum relative to Pro. Better than nothing, but definitely not that much of a difference.

As someone else said, this is most likely just marketing hype by DJI to extend the product life of the Mavic while they further develop the Mavic 2. If you don't already have a Mavic, sure, go for it. But it would be crazy to upgrade from the MPro to the MPlatinum.

Last edited:
Reactions: peros550
Anxiously awaiting about conformation on the camera question? 1080p @60? Not even mad really, like others have said. New set of props... call it a day. Hopefully they will have stock soon, as they have been out of stock since they were added to the DJI store.

The sound thing, for the most part, is a "problem no-one knew they had". At best this is a refresh, that's all.

Reactions: Rnl
Well, at least she's still a sexy beast! :cool:

Reactions: LongRifle
well. I've bought a bunch of Mavic accessories but haven't yet got the Mavic. Clearly the platinum would be the one to go for but..

Guaranteed the new colour batteries will be in short supply (so no combo kit for weeks)

Also- if the props are cross compatible does that mean existing Mavic props will work on the new platinum?

I also bought the prop cages/tennis racquet thing. Will these now work? I be a bit p***ed if they don't because I hauled them back from the USA

You bought a bunch of accessories for a drone that you dont have? Smh

I'd just be happy and consider upgrading if they fixed the watercolor effect on current camera.

Not worth the money.
Change your props and buy a custom decal. No one will know the difference. A pity they did not improve the camera, now that would have made it worth while.

Rob
I'm waiting for the Mavic 2, in the meantime, I'm tossing my props for the new ones. The prop design is ultimately what gives the drone better performance.

Where is the ESC (ESC's plural?) located? They have to be actual modules of some sort. Inside the battery? In the arm between it and the motor? Main circuit board in the body itself? Incorporated into the motors?

Seeing pictures of people's modified batteries, there's a heck of a circuit board in there and a whole lot of pins coming out of it, could there be a chance the ESC is inside of it? Seems a strange spot so I suppose not, it would make the batteries needlessly more expensive. But if so, that would indeed make it a different battery.

Edit - Nevermind, it looks to be part of the main board inside the body.

Last edited:
Where are the ESC's located? They have to be actual modules of some sort. Inside the battery? In the arm between it and the motor? Incorporated into the motor?

Seeing pictures of people's modified batteries, there's a heck of a circuit board in there and a whole lot of pins coming out of it, there's a chance the ESC's are inside of it. If so, that would indeed make it a different battery.

the ESCs are integrated into the main circuit board on the Mavic. The ESCs are NOT in the battery.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure