DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Pro Platinum (Just Released)

I think this Platinum is not worth an upgrade for existing Pro owners. As for it being quiter, we'll have to wait until we can hear how much quiter it is in the real world. (Do we have problems with Mavic noise?)

However, if they want to make the Mavic quiter, it's the remote beeps that needs to be made a lot quiter. The loud beeping from the RC during RTH and low battery warning is really annoying. It doesn't matter to me as I've silenced both of my RC down to my liking, but it will be a welcome "improvement" for new owners.

Now, for $20 the new props may (or may not) be a nice upgrade for existing Pro owners. If they indeed give longer flight time, I'll certainly get it. Being quiter would be a bonus I don't mind but don't care too much either.

Props Sold Out.... Dang

People keep saying that but they aren't sold out. Today was an announcement only. None of this stuff actually comes out until later this month.

The 'revised' models are a little confusing. Normally you upgrade models in such a way as to 'persuade' existing owners to 'sell' and upgrade. That certainly doesnt seem the case here. So what is the reason? Some have suggested that it relates to a lock down in firmware - possible - time will tell.

My personal 'guess' is that it is pure marketing. People expect 'new models' from DJI at this time of year in place for the run up to Christmas. If no new model appears maybe buyers hold off buying on the basis that they are 'just around the corner'. These forum are littered with 'should I buy now or wait for the Mavic 2?' - I suspect over at the Phantom forum it is even worse. So I suspect it is DJI simply 'telling us' that there are going to be no new models except these cosmetic upgrades - so that people dont hold off buying if they want a drone. They dont particularly need new models as they are well ahead of the competition.

I think it's both. They are killing two birds with one stone!
It's easy to fix the current exploits and as you suggested the new model entices the Christmas crowd into spending rather than waiting.

Rob

Is it really true that 1080p at 60fps will be usable on the new version? Any sources about this?

Its the same camera, and will run the same firmware, so you would be pretty right to presume it will be the same.

The only change is Props, motor controllers, and colour.

60Db... at what distance and what conditions? Is the Mavic on the ground with the props on, hovering at 5 feet. Inside or outside in the wind?

I just did a search and found a video that puts the sound level of a hovering Mavic at 83.4Db (about 4 feet up and a few feet away from the meter). I'll go with that over DJI slick charts LOL.

When measuring DB it should always be DBA and not DBC. (C will show a much higher reading). Also the standard distance for DB reading of an object is is typically 10 feet. (what UL uses)

Reactions: Dan
LOL, there are already over 30 "everything you need to know about the Mavic Pro Platinum" videos on youtube. Just restating what it is the press release. :D Those youtubers are fast.

medium_5d4a4800-548f-4f07-b452-d91596dd87ad.jpg

vs​

medium_cec4975c-8b87-4a19-8d07-7d79ec78f7eb.jpg

Just the propeller will reduce noise ??

ill buy the propellers and wait for the next gen

Interesting refresh. Not enough for me to buy one. Rear sensors and an upgraded camera/gimbal might have persuaded me. This is a great option for someone who doesn't have a Mavic at all (in my opinion).

As for the new props - old aerodynamic design. My guess is that DJI had an idea about these since the conception of the Mavic but decided to save them for a refresh. The dihedral drooped tips have been around for a while. They reduce wing-tip vortices (increasing lift) and reduce noise signature. I'm surprised they haven't implemented them on the phantoms.

Ahhh but they WILL implement them on the new Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian "Sapphire Edition", releasing next spring. It'll have 2 more minutes of flight time and 20% less noise, and will be a dark blue color! "Sapppppphhhhiiirrre!"

All for the low low price of $200 more and dealing with a firmware that will randomly turn the drone on in your house and send telemetry and photos to the authorities (just kidding... or AM I???)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure