DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Pro Platinum (Just Released)

If anyone here understand the corporate world, investors, etc. DJI need to demonstrate growth , since they dont have any new models so far launching this year, they came out with the next best thing to add a few percentage points , same MAVIC with few tweaks in it but at 10 % price increase, don't be fooled by this and buy the original and save on the 100 bucks. If they truly added something like new motors, etc, they would be announcing this everywhere and be the key marketing message and plus I would think they would increase the price even more...I just think the minor tweaks in the Mavic Pro Platinum is a corporate game to increase the value of their company..

This sounds like a marketing gimmick, we need optic improvement or a rear sensor the least...

Exactly, rear sensors, and improved optics. I just bought my Mavic Pro last month. I was like dam, I should have waited when I heard about the Platinum, but these changes are not significant.
I do like the Platinium color better but that is not a deal breaker.

Lancer its true the Gimbal and Camera are the weak points BUT if you want a camera platform you should look towards the P4. The Mavic is a 'go anywhere' drone, this is its USP. You can't market it too close to another model in the range or you'd have NO RANGE. I'd guess this time 2018 we'll see Mavic 2 but for now I'm more than happy with a 4k drone I can stand on a mountain with and not need sherpas to carry the **** thing.

Thats right...if you improve the optics too much you will bleed into the sales of the P4.

The ONLY difference between the Platinum and the Original are

Props (can fit to the Mavic)
ESC (this give the 3 minutes extra)
Colour

Thats it, Everything else is the same. Now no need to ask when is and isn't the same..

Camera is the same, Batteries are the same (except colour), firmware in the same, controller is the same.

I guess like other members, too much Heavy Metal in my younger days..... I never thought the Mavic Pro was loud, guess I should get my hearing checked. LOL

Reactions: Pietros
The DJI Mavic Pro Platinum is now available for pre-order in the DJI Store here. It comes packed with the following new features:
  • New platinum color
  • New FOC sinusoidal driver ESCs
  • New 8331 propeller design
  • Up to 4 dB (60%) quieter than the Mavic Pro
  • Maximum flight time extended from 27 to 30 minutes
More information can be found on DJI's site here.
Can we get those type of propellers for mavic pro?

I think this just makes us all realise just how good our MP's really are, I was expecting a massive overhaul in design, but i agree if it's not broke don't fix it.
The MP is an excellent drone, and if the best Dji can do is a new lick of paint some, new ESC's and some new props, I think we should be even more proud of our wonderful drone.

Absolutely. If they could have improved a whole lot of things (without encroaching on the Phantom) I am sure they would have done. I definitely see this more along the lines of 'there isnt a major update because we got the first one right.'

And let face it - if they improved/fixed a whole lot of issues - there would have been a bunch of people complaining that they had been forced to buy a rubbish product (beta) in the first place. (There is such a comment above.)

The reality is there is practically no competition in this space. That is a credit to DJI for being ahead of the game but slightly irritating because we know they dont have to play the game too hard....

$20 since you need two sets but I'm definitely getting them, noise is one of the biggest annoyances that I have with drones in general..
****, I bought several sets of props and now want the new quieter ones.. I'm gonna have to wreck my Mavic some more.

Reactions: Merlin23
Unfortunately not. Human ear is logarithmic. To have feeling of 2 times noise reduction the number should be 20dB, not 4. 4dB reduction corresponds to 1.6 times increase of distance from the noise source.
Yeh agreed 4dB does not constitute 60% noise reduction its just not possible unless the mavic was flying with a noise level of 7dB and it is a hell of a lot louder than 7dB keeping in mind a jack hammer operates at 94 to 96 dB

Seriously? All they could come up with for improvements for the MPP was lower noise and longer battery life? Don't get me wrong, those are nice improvements, but I thought they would at least tout some new flight functionality modes like the spark has.

I'm still quite satisfied with my MP.

Frankly, I'm going to be surprised if the current MP isn't pretty close in db as the MPP once you install the props. I don't know about you, but when you spin up the MP motors without props, it's pretty **** quiet. Outside, MOST of the noise comes from the props - which is amplified when fighting gusts, etc.

My expectations right now are that either the MPP is louder than we are all imagining, or the props will make a big difference on the MP.

LP

How else will this prop shape affect flight characteristics? I figured with a longer flight time there would be a lower top end speed. I know speed really isnt a factor for a camera drone but I really know nothing about prop design/characteristics lol

Typically when they add the dihedral droop to blades, they increase chord width too. I haven't seen the specs on these new props, but I would bet they may be a hair wider also. You are right. At some point even with increased efficiency, profile drag will sneak up on you. It's just a matter of finding that magic balance between drag, lift, and how it effects power.

Last edited:
All this talk about the new props,,,,,,, and they don't have any!! SOLD OUT! If they added more pitch to the props, it will use more torque to turn them. More battery.

I cannot wait for two specific Vblogger's to get one.

My prediction from these two guys is that it is so much better than the MP that you have to have one ASAP because the old Mavic Pro is so inferior.
Then when real users start to get them you will start to hear a different story.
I don't know how many times DJI can keep using this trick but it has worked every time so far. They caught me with the Goggles, they almost had me with the Spark. If I had liked the idea of hand gesture flight I would have been hooked, luckily I did not because the hand gestures obviously do not work nearly as well as those guys said it did.

Rob

Last edited:
It seems that way. and if the battery improvement is because of those props, then this will be a great add-on for existing mavics. @$10 its a no brainer.

Yep...I wouldn't even think about getting rid of my Mavic Pro for this when I can buy just the props...I betting the new prop design gives you about half of the extended flight time anyway. I will definitely be buying the new props as it's a great upgrade for 20 bucks!

It hasn't changed enough for me to run out and buy one, if anything, i may pick up the props since they are compatible and because they are the only thing reducing the noise level, as far as the ESC are concerned they say it adds lil more stability hmmmmmm, i have had no stability issue with my mavic as it is hahaha.

What i wanted was something to make it more weather proof, like heated batteries for the winter, a nite vision camera, maybe some rear sensors, a gimbal that's not so fragile but still as functional, you know some big items. They are boosting an extra 3 minute flight time, but that will come if its true with just replacing the props, So as of now i am still good with my pro and for new folks, they may as well jump into platinum, and the rest of us can just spend $20 for some new props hahaha

Reactions: Steveyg777
I'll just be getting the new props as well. Although FOC motor control is AMAZING and has been in use in many consumer products over the years (mostly to meet Energy Star compliance..) it is now just catching on in consumer drone motor drives. Technically it makes a lot of sense and just adds the other layer of control and feel since it's more analog than digital.

Reactions: inkytog
Don't beat yourself up about it. If the Mavic Platinum is firmware locked it will have a lot less resale value than the Mavic Pro.
Sorry...I meant the new props are sold out....I am waiting until the “2” or whatever DJI decides to call it comes out too...I like having the “original” and still having a **** blast with Merlin23...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman