DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic2 and Microsoft ICE panorama distortion?

geoks

Reactions
Hello I have a question to seek help from the community.

I'm trying to make panos from dji mavic2. The dji fly app generates 4k resolution panos just fine, but I want higher resolutions. For example: 20k is possible with Microsoft ICE.
However, my ICE production looks like this in my VR display or in ptgui viewer:
1666980202765.png
basically there is a black hole in the sky and everything on the ground seems to be flying towards it. The file dimensions are 20k by 6.5k pixels.

My ICE setting looks like this:
1666980279297.png
and crop setting:
1666980317572.png

I cannot figure out what went wrong. So I started changing some settings: such as changing the pitch angle.

1666979892320.png
Then my pano looks like the following:
1666979955425.png
whose aspect ratio looks fine at first sight but indeed the view angle tilts up towards the sky. The file dimensions are 20k by 8.8k pixels.

And I also tried to upload them onto Kuula. all panos look fine on that website, but not locally.

I wonder whether aspect ratio has something to do with the distortion in viewers?
I really hope that my high resolution panos coming out of ICE have the correct perspectives in viewer softwares and VR goggles. And obviously DJI Fly app can get the angles correct. What should I do?

Thanks pal.

My ICE setting looks like this:
and crop setting:
View attachment 156413

I cannot figure out what went wrong. So I started changing some settings: such as changing the pitch angle.
If you are trying to create a 360° panorama, that looks perfect
And I also tried to upload them onto Kuula. all panos look fine on that website, but not locally.
That confirms that what you are doing is correct for a 360° pano.

What are you wanting to create?
If you want something that shows 360° but will display as a flat rectangle, that's not possible without a lot of distortion.

I think rectilinear files for 360deg should be 2 x 1 aspect ratio, so you need to take the file from ICE and use (say) adobe PS to make the canvas larger in the vertical (make it exactly 1/2 of the width) by extending only the upper section of the image. You will then end up with flat horizon in the 360 view. I often use Adobe PS to 'stretch' the sky to fit this area so that there is no black hole.
In this lores example ICe made a 5120x1868, so I made a canvas 5120x2560. This then works in viewers, online ,etc

Attachments

• Pano-ICE.jpg
    Pano-ICE.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Pano-ICE-2by1.jpg
    Pano-ICE-2by1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0