Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 first impressions

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
I have already 3 flights completed with the DJI Mini 2 and here are my observations:
  • The plastic material feel much more solid and can not be bend easily like the MM1
  • The Mavic Air 2 controller does not want to link with the DJI Mini 2.
  • The Mavic Air 2 controller has 4 white LED (for battery levels) and the DJI Mini 2 controllers LED are green
  • The DJI Mini 2 has a nose LED and you can modify the color about 8 or 10 options of colors. You can set as rainbow, Solid or blinking (that is cool)
  • You can zoom the camera up to 4X zoom in 1080P, 3X in 2.7K and 2X in 4K at least in video mode. I still need to check in photo mode.
  • Talking with the people of DJI, you can use the Mavic Mini Battery in the DJI Mini 2. Also you can use the DJI Mini 2 battery in the Mavic Mini 1 but the weight will go over 249G and you will need to register the aircraft with FAA. Even when the DJI support representative told me that is not true. I have the chat log.
  • The video transmission seen very lag comparing with my smart controller setup even at 20FT distance. I am pretty sure this will be corrected in feature firmware's.
  • I experience a full disconnection for 2 seconds with the aircraft 20 ft. from me, but 100ft altitude. This was a glitch. This I am pretty sure will be corrected in a near feature firmware.
  • The DJI Mini 2 is the most quiet drone that I ever test. Is much quiet than the Mavic Air 2. Comparing with the Mavic Mini 1 does not have comparison in how much quiet is.
  • Today was windy and it handle the wind very well but still I experience side drag. (was very windy)
  • I tested a top speed of 36.37Mph in sport mode
  • The Air Data is not reporting correctly miss reporting wrong battery levels information, distance, altitude and others. I reported already to Airdata.com
  • Just find out, by uploading the Flight logs manually to Airdata.com reports correctly
  • The video resolution is very good but notice some noise comparing with the Mavic Air 2
  • The pictures are ok. The DMG file is very useful.
  • The AEB only takes 2 pictures (I was hoping for 3)
I will add more information as I keep testing.
360034F2-DF13-4BFA-A61F-8B3680A2A7E1.jpeg

977CF225-0F1D-42D4-9EBC-7445C74D19AD.jpeg
63A6FBF2-C83D-49E0-8C0C-667E4201B7C2.jpeg
A93BB0AC-DE3D-4717-865E-98DAE5B223E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you measure and report the dimensions of the two batteries please? From the videos I have seen the width (across the drone) of the MM2 battery is greater than that of the MM'1' battery.

Can you measure and report the dimensions of the two batteries please? From the videos I have seen the width (across the drone) of the MM2 battery is greater than that of the MM'1' battery.
Sadly I can not compare this since I sold my Mavic Mini about 1 week and a half ago.

The dimensions of the batteries can't be different or else it wouldn't fit.

I think you have it backwards about using MM1 batteries in MM2 and vice versa.
The MM1 batteries are heavier so if you used those in an MM2, that would make the TO weight of the MM2 exceed 250g.
Using MM2 batteries in an MM1 would make TO weight less than 249g.

Note also that the MM1 batteries have a greater capacity.
MM1: 2400 mAh
MM2: 2250 mAh

There's a .4v advantage with the MM2 battery though (8.8v in MM2 vs 8.4v in MM1 max charging voltage)

Nice pictures!

If it's not too much to ask, could you take some pics of the props?
I understand the MM2 props are different, and I wonder how much they changed

So a smaller (dimension wise) battery could not fit into a larger battery compartment?
Interesting, why?

If they are the same size then surely that would mean the MM2 battery would fit into the MM'1' battery compartment? And that is contrary to what I have read.

Zeus, not to worry, thanks anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
@DanMan32 the Mini2 batteries have a fractionally higher capacity. Note that they are slightly higher voltage than the MM1 batteries which compensates for the slightly lower mAh rating.

Power = volts x amps
Energy = power x time = V x mA x h

I have already 3 flights completed with the DJI Mini 2 and here are my observations:
  • The plastic material feel much more solid and can not be bend easily like the MM1
  • The Mavic Air 2 controller has 4 white LED (for battery levels) and the DJI Mini 2 controllers LED are green
  • The DJI Mini 2 has a nose LED and you can modify the color about 8 or 10 options of colors. You can set as rainbow, Solid or blinking (that is cool)
  • You can zoom the camera up to 4X zoom in 1080P, 3X in 2.7K and 2X in 4K at least in video mode. I still need to check in photo mode.
  • Talking with the people of DJI, you can use the Mavic Mini Battery in the DJI Mini 2. Also you can use the DJI Mini 2 battery in the Mavic Mini 1 but the weight will go over 249G and you will need to register the aircraft with FAA.
  • The video transmission seen very lag comparing with my smart controller setup even at 20FT distance. I am pretty sure this will be corrected in feature firmware's.
  • I experience a full disconnection for 2 seconds with the aircraft 20 ft. from me, but 100ft altitude. This was a glitch. This I am pretty sure will be corrected in a near feature firmware.
  • The DJI Mini 2 is the most quiet drone that I ever test. Is much quiet than the Mavic Air 2. Comparing with the Mavic Mini 1 does not have comparison in how much quiet is.
  • Today was windy and it handle the wind very well but still I experience side drag. (was very windy)
  • The Air Data is not reporting correctly miss reporting wrong battery levels information, distance, altitude and others. I reported already to Airdata.com
  • Just find out, by uploading the Flight logs manually to Airdata.com reports correctly
  • The video resolution is very good but notice some noise comparing with the Mavic Air 2
View attachment 116639

View attachment 116640
View attachment 116641
View attachment 116642
I agree with your summary, I also got some lag on video feed when the drone was no more than 50m away! Build quality far better than original, front arms are now rigid. Very impressive flight range with no wind warning. I don’t get the front light at all, not very bright and cannot set to one fixed brightness, seems to be a gimmick

I think you have it backwards about using MM1 batteries in MM2 and vice versa.
The MM1 batteries are heavier so if you used those in an MM2, that would make the TO weight of the MM2 exceed 250g.
Using MM2 batteries in an MM1 would make TO weight less than 249g.

Note also that the MM1 batteries have a greater capacity.
MM1: 2400 mAh
MM2: 2250 mAh

There's a .4v advantage with the MM2 battery though (8.8v in MM2 vs 8.4v in MM1 max charging voltage)
Mini 2 is around 240g with battery and sd card

I concur with your summary. I flew it today and the wind is about 25mph and m2 handle it well. Picture quality is good! Here are some sample photos without color correction.

Attachments

• 1E2F15D2-042C-4A16-8164-2D78D3604917.jpeg
    1E2F15D2-042C-4A16-8164-2D78D3604917.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 150
  • 7BFCBC03-EEEF-42A0-9A00-590ED16CDA96.jpeg
    7BFCBC03-EEEF-42A0-9A00-590ED16CDA96.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 143
  • ED8DE280-45F6-41B9-A8A3-AC039D7FDA61.jpeg
    ED8DE280-45F6-41B9-A8A3-AC039D7FDA61.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I read in another post that the shapes of the batteries are slightly different where an MM1 battery could fit in an MM2 AC, but not the other way around.
Correct

Night pictures are impressive. Straight from the camera.
56DA11E1-8C22-4B1C-87A1-EA0FD6335990.jpeg

B86184CA-D754-4A98-9960-8F85004C1602.jpeg

@DanMan32 the Mini2 batteries have a fractionally higher capacity. Note that they are slightly higher voltage than the MM1 batteries which compensates for the slightly lower mAh rating.

Power = volts x amps
Energy = power x time = V x mA x h
I thought of that after I posted but I don't think the .4v will make much difference since the AC would be running through a range of voltage during flight.

I agree with your summary, I also got some lag on video feed when the drone was no more than 50m away! Build quality far better than original, front arms are now rigid. Very impressive flight range with no wind warning. I don’t get the front light at all, not very bright and cannot set to one fixed brightness, seems to be a gimmick
The front LED light bar will be your charging indicator if the propeller guard is on, since you cannot see the LED charging dots if the props guard cover is attached under the AC.

The front LED light bar will be your charging indicator if the propeller guard is on, since you cannot see the LED charging dots if the props guard cover is attached under the AC.
didnt notice that tbh, well that has some use I guess, however the rainbow effects etc in flight are pointless as it’s not bright enough to be useful, it’s the only element of the Mini 2 that feels like a toy

Reactions: Tony McDrone
There is info somewhere that I have read, maybe in the manual or on the DJI website about the functions of the front LED. From memory it gives indications about quite a few things. However whether or not it is an impractical gimmick once the drone is in flight I am not in a position to say.

• Talking with the people of DJI, you can use the Mavic Mini Battery in the DJI Mini 2. Also you can use the DJI Mini 2 battery in the Mavic Mini 1 but the weight will go over 249G and you will need to register the aircraft with FAA. Even when the DJI support representative told me that is not true. I have the chat log.
View attachment 116639

View attachment 116640
View attachment 116641
View attachment 116642
This is a great review, thanks for your time

That sounds concerning.

Did the drone just hover - or carry on in the direction it was going?
Do you think that was a freak one-off?

That sounds concerning.

Did the drone just hover - or carry on in the direction it was going?
Do you think that was a freak one-off?
When this happened, the drone just hover. I reported to DJI already with logs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada