DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI or Third-Party chargers?

wco81

Reactions
So the Air 3 doesn't come with a charger in the box and the Fly More Combo at $1549 comes with a charging hub but not a charger itself?

Are most folks just getting the official DJI charger or going for like Anker 65 or 100W PD chargers instead?

Some of us already have such chargers for our devices so it would be nice to use them, without necessarily buying another one.

Matching the power output of the DJI charger would be the best. Name on charger wouldn’t matter much. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: Cafguy
But are most people getting the DJI one or third-party?

Likely saving money, and buying something just as good at half the price.
As you point out, DJI is no longer including their $95 chargers in the combo packs or the basic package in order to keep the total prices down, but you still need a charger, so it's a form of shrinkflation, concealing the real purchase price! Generic works just as good, so save some money, or save even more, if you already have one!

Reactions: mavic3usa
I'm wondering if they will deny warranty claims if you don't use a DJI charger.

Your flight time isn't enough? Nothing wrong with the aircraft or batteries, you should have used DJI charger and now you'e conditioned the batteries for lower charge with an unsupported, untested product!

Your flight time isn't enough? Nothing wrong with the aircraft or batteries, you should have used DJI charger and now you'e conditioned the batteries for lower charge with an unsupported, untested product!
Nope! No way to ever tell what charger you charged it with, and if it made any difference, they would still be including the branded chargers with every purchase, like before! Also, unlike the batteries of the days of yore, LiPo batteries are not "conditioned."

Reactions: mavic3usa

Not a chance unless you send the generic charger to them...and then, they still wouldn't. ;)

Reactions: Starz and GadgetGuy
So the Air 3 doesn't come with a charger...
And just so you know... the Air 3 doesn't come with a "Power supply".

And it's a big difference between a power supply & a charger... the charger decides all about voltages & amps during the charge cycle & this charger is included in the battery itself... so yeah a DJI Air 3 comes with chargers.

The power supply is just delivering what the charger (the battery) demand... & if you use a low watt rated power supply all that will happen is that the charge will take longer time, & it's the same if you would use a "1000W" power supply... it will then also just deliver what the battery want's & no more.

If the DJI one is a 100W... any other that also can deliver that will do (then it's up to you regarding the quality & brand).

Reactions: GadgetGuy

And it's a big difference between a power supply & a charger... the charger decides all about voltages & amps during the charge cycle & this charger is included in the battery itself... so yeah a DJI Air 3 comes with chargers.

The power supply is just delivering what the charger (the battery) demand... & if you use a low watt rated power supply all that will happen is that the charge will take longer time, & it's the same if you would use a "1000W" power supply... it will then also just deliver what the battery want's & no more.

If the DJI one is a 100W... any other that also can deliver that will do (then it's up to you regarding the quality & brand).
Thanks for clarifying the terminology. It is the necessary power supply that is no longer included on any DJI drone purchase, nor is it included in the Combo kits. DJI will sell you theirs separately for $95, but cheaper and equally capable power supplies abound.

Reactions: RangerEd
Ugh! Thank goodness this is being raised! Can I use my MA2 charger hooked into the MA3 charging hub or h e I got all that wrong?

Most companies and people will use the terms "charger", "power supply" and "power adapter" interchangeably and while there are subtle differences between these terms, they are typically used to describe an external device that provides power to a battery. While a battery charger can come with charging protocols as you describe, there are also dumb or simple chargers that just provide a constant voltage and current. The electronics that control overcharging, discharging, etc. in today's lithium ion based batteries are called "battery management systems" and this is what is built inside of a DJI Air 3 battery.

I opted for a DJI power brick. It was almost as cheap as a third-party charger and had better ratings on Amazon, so I figured the extra $5 was reasonable to pay. YMMV, of course.

I got this one for my M2P.... Unlike the "Hub" that comes with most mavics that only charges the connected batteries one at a time, this actually charges/discharges/storage 4 batteries at a time... They make chargers for most mavic models.. It works very well

Last edited:
I use this non-DJI power supply. It's been working like a charm, with three DJI drones as well as cameras and other gear.

For the Mavic 3 Pro, I use this hub/charge controller. It allows setting the charge level as well as setting a discharge level when it's connected to a load. I'm able to better control the state of charge for the batteries when they're not going to be used for a while.

Most companies and people will use the terms "charger", "power supply" and "power adapter" interchangeably and while there are subtle differences between these terms...
Yep... I'm well familiar with that, but others isn't & that's why they think that a power supply (adapter, brick) from another brand than DJI can harm the battery. What matters is that the power supply can deliver enough watts... otherwise the charge cycle will be longer.

And it's nothing subtle if comparing power supplies/adapters with chargers... it's a big difference. The "charger" in DJI batteries is correctly the BMS chip, but it doesn't only control overcharging, discharging, etc.... equal important is that it regulate the needed voltage & current through out the whole charge cycle & balancing the cells in the end of the cycle. So the BMS is a true charger & the power supply just deliver what's asked for.

Anker is a pretty good brand. The minimum required is 65 Watts so the 100 W charger should also work. Just make sure you have a good cable that can handle the 65W.

Thanks for clarifying the terminology. It is the necessary power supply that is no longer included on any DJI drone purchase, nor is it included in the Combo kits. DJI will sell you theirs separately for $95, but cheaper and equally capable power supplies abound.
Yeah just like Apple and Samsung have done.

No issues with warranty at all. It says in the manual you can use any USB-C charger capable of PD/PPS to charge your hub/drone. The drone charger circuit is rated at a max of 65W (20V/3.25A) and the hub charger circuit is rated for 100W (20V/5A).

Page 11 of the Air 3 Manual.
It states this in many places within the manual.
IMG_3625.jpeg

Reactions: WanderLost
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne