DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Position on FAA and recent purchasing

DJI published a white paper regarding remote identification back in 2017 in anticipation of the FAA adopting some system of remote ID. Below are two excerpts that highlight using technology already in place and avoiding a network approach to dealing with the issue...

"This localized approach is preferred to networked solutions, which raise a number of concerns. A networked solution requires network connectivity, most typically via mobile phone. There are various locations that lack reliable data signals, which would thwart the ID system, as well as provide an excuse to a non-compliant operator. A networked solution also inherently raises the possibility that all UAS operations will be tracked and recorded for future unknown exploitation, including enforcement quotas or business espionage. A networked system is also susceptible to system-wide hacking, or the creation by detractors of false entries of drone
operations that do not exist..."

"The key to deploying a viable identification system is to leverage and primarily focus on technology that already exists as the primary method. UAS in widespread use today already transmit data at significant range, using their command and control and video transmission links. We propose use of protocols within the existing C2 or video link to transmit identification information to ground receivers. These control and video links most often make use of the 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz bands. To facilitate widespread adoption of this approach, DJI proposes creating at least one open identification protocol for UAS that use wifi control links, in addition to protocols that might be developed for other UAS using other control links."

DJI White Paper on Remote ID

The idea of creating a new network to track every flight no matter where it occurs versus a localized system that tracks flight around sensitive areas is (to use the DJI phrase) an Orwellian model for remote ID. As commercial avenues for delivery are establish new areas can be added as needed. It shouldn't be blanket the whole sky with this system and maybe release small sections as the FAA sees fit for public use.

I recently bought a Mavic Pro and I'm still into the return period. I think a company like DJI should urgently come out with a position about the new FAA proposed rules. What is stopping me and all the Christmas purchasers from returning my drone? While I enjoy it very much I could have a brick in 3 years. DJI could be heavily damaged by the returns if they don't commit to some mitigation like a retrofit for existing drone owners when the rules become mandatory. (even for a reasonable price). What do you guys think? Trust me an American company would have PR all over this but DJI seem not to interested to people that bought a drone recently, we will have to take the thing in our hands either returning it or suing.
I read somewhere in one of these forums that a drone that is taken care of the motor can go about 150 hrs.
I do not know how that works out for your flying time. That assumes too that there are no crashes or whatnot.

If you love flying it would be worth it to fly lots, weekly, or more over the next 3 years for implementation + 1 year for compliance = 4 yrs. If you prefer the money back then returning it, less possible restocking fee, might be for you. It depends on personal wants and circumstances.
Hope this helps with another perspective.