DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Position on FAA and recent purchasing

This is one of the issues I raised in my comments to the FAA about the proposed legislation. I don't know if it is possible to add the type of broadcasting capability to the drone to certify it meets the requirements of standard remote ID but at a minimum I think manufacturers should bare some of the burden to get drones purchased over the last 12 months, and definitely going forward, to meet the requirements of limited remote ID. I had my sights set on purchasing another drone but that is definitely going to be put on hold until I have some assurance it will at least meet the requirements of limited remote ID.

DJI is not legally obligated to do any retrofitting of legacy products or anything else retrospectively as a result of new FAA regulations. The FAA would be where you would be wanting to target with a class action lawsuit - but good luck with that.

What they are legally obligated to do and what wise marketing dictates they do may be two different things.

Note that DJI does not monitor this forum as they sponsor one of their own.
I havn’t looked in there in awhile but wonder if the link to
the proposal has been posted there .Might have to look in and see.

Sorry @brett8883 missed your links.

Last edited:
I may have missed something but why is DJI being singled out? Are not all Drone manufacturers in the same boat in regard to this FAA proposal? What are Hubsan, Skydio and the others promising if anything?

Believe me, I am not singling out DJI. Parrot, Skydio, Autel, Hubsan, etc. should all be part of making things right for customers that purchased a drone in the last year, at least for those drones released in the last year or those being released this year.

I recently bought a Mavic Pro and I'm still into the return period. I think a company like DJI should urgently come out with a position about the new FAA proposed rules. What is stopping me and all the Christmas purchasers from returning my drone? While I enjoy it very much I could have a brick in 3 years. DJI could be heavily damaged by the returns if they don't commit to some mitigation like a retrofit for existing drone owners when the rules become mandatory. (even for a reasonable price). What do you guys think? Trust me an American company would have PR all over this but DJI seem not to interested to people that bought a drone recently, we will have to take the thing in our hands either returning it or suing.

Odds are, if you stay in the hobby, you'll be on some other sUAS long before any of the proposed regs come into play. 3 years can be more than a couple of models/versions for the vast majority of operators even more so for new operators. You'll be fine but if you are genuinely that concerned about it return the aircraft and wait for 3 years to see what's available at that time. That's a lot of lost flying time though . . .

Believe me, I am not singling out DJI. Parrot, Skydio, Autel, Hubsan, etc. should all be part of making things right for customers that purchased a drone in the last year, at least for those drones released in the last year or those being released this year.

I agree with you in principle but also wonder how many customers would be willing to pay the cost of the retrofit. After all, can the drone manufacturers be held accountable (even morally) for something that the FAA has announced pretty much out of the blue? It certainly is a dilemma.

Will it be a case of a drone manufacturer being the first to offer free retrofits and then all of the others falling like dominoes to offer same? I figure the first one to make that move would be inundated with an avalanche of orders.

We don’t even know what the technical parameters of the final rule will be so it’s somewhat moot to talk about if DJI drones sold today are capable, through software, on complying or not. If the FAA is serious about implementing this you’d think the most logical thing would be to work with DJI to come up with a protocol that is reverse compatible with previous DJI models see as how DJI makes up 70% of the drone market.

DJI for its part should make Its aeroscope system open source so that other manufacturers can use it. If a regulatory mandate is implemented requiring all manufactures to use an aeroscope compatible system DJI stands to make a lot of money even with other manufacturers selling their own versions of the receivers because they already have a working system in place and automatically have a head start on other manufacturers making receiver units. Conversely, If it’s some other open source protocol incompatible with aeroscope then DJI has to start over on an even playing field thus losing their competitive advantage.

DJi is smart and has been ahead on the game on this regard so this seeing it coming for years now. Seems like a very possible situation

Reactions: deleted member 877
We don’t even know what the technical parameters of the final rule will be so it’s somewhat moot to talk about if DJI drones sold today are capable, through software, on complying or not. If the FAA is serious about implementing this you’d think the most logical thing would be to work with DJI to come up with a protocol that is reverse compatible with previous DJI models see as how DJI makes up 70% of the drone market.

DJI for its part should make Its aeroscope system open source so that other manufacturers can use it. If a regulatory mandate is implemented requiring all manufactures to use an aeroscope compatible system DJI stands to make a lot of money even with other manufacturers selling their own versions of the receivers because they already have a working system in place and automatically have a head start on other manufacturers making receiver units. Conversely, If it’s some other open source protocol incompatible with aeroscope then DJI has to start over on an even playing field thus losing their competitive advantage.

DJi is smart and has been ahead on the game on this regard so this seeing it coming for years now. Seems like a very possible situation

A lot is unknown so it is premature to discuss details but unless a manufacturer is willing to provide some assure between now and when the final rules are put in place that they are going to support an upgrade if necessary to be compliant who is going to spend $1000+ on a new drone to be told in two or three years you can't fly it except in FAA designated locations? I'm not.

I've already read/heard statements by some that just got a drone or are on a waiting list that they very well may back out of the deal given the new ID proposal unless there is some assurance that the drone would be made compliant by the manufacturer at some future date.

This may not mean as much to DJI who I figure has their sights set on the larger commercial drone market and is willing to sacrifice some of the consumer market share for now. But other manufacturers that are primarily manufacturing for consumers should be concerned about how this proposal will impact sales while the FAA is sorting things out.

A lot is unknown so it is premature to discuss details but unless a manufacturer is willing to provide some assure between now and when the final rules are put in place that they are going to support an upgrade if necessary to be compliant who is going to spend $1000+ on a new drone to be told in two or three years you can't fly it except in FAA designated locations? I'm not.

I think post #26 has already answered that question.

Reactions: ch5richards
I think post #26 has already answered that question.

If you already have a drone you keep flying what you have. As far as spending another $1000+ on a new drone, I personal would not be buying without some assurance it won't be obsolete in two or three years. At my age 2 or 3 years goes by in a flash.

Reactions: DoomMeister
If you already have a drone you keep flying what you have. As far as spending another $1000+ on a new drone, I personal would not be buying without some assurance it won't be obsolete in two or three years. At my age 2 or 3 years goes by in a flash.
$1000 for two and a half years is less than $8/week assuming the drone is worthless. It might be the resale value at the end of term is higher than might ordinarily expected, the buyer might ascribe a value to the lack of restrictions/features.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Well it’s your money you can do what you want with it and I could care less what you decide to do I just think it’s unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to commit to telling you a product will comply with future regulations that have not even been settled on yet. How could they in the first place? Just my two cents

Well it’s your money you can do what you want with it and I could care less what you decide to do I just think it’s unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to commit to telling you a product will comply with future regulations that have not even been settled on yet. How could they in the first place? Just my two cents

The consumer drone market was already in decline. Uncertainty about the product is definitely NOT going to help that situation. I wasn't expecting you to care about what I do with my money so that part of your comment was wasted space. I do expect drone manufacturers to care about what I and others will do in this time of uncertainty.

The consumer drone market was already in decline. Uncertainty about the product is definitely NOT going to help that situation. I wasn't expecting you to care about what I do with my money so that part of your comment was wasted space. I do expect drone manufacturers to care about what I and others will do in this time of uncertainty.

Fair enough. Hey, if you are going to wait 3 years before getting a drone, I can highly recommend taking up Hang Gliding in the interim. It's a total blast and there is no ADS-B In or Out, no broadcasting of location-based data elements - none of that stuff. And you get to actually be a pilot of a manned aircraft.

You would, of course, need to pass a couple of exams and get a licence to fly but that's no big deal right? I'm not joking - you would totally love it mate.

Sorry to veer off-topic.

$1000 for two and a half years is less than $8/week assuming the drone is worthless. It might be the resale value at the end of term is higher than might ordinarily expected, the buyer might ascribe a value to the lack of restrictions/features.

I already have a handful of drones that may be worthless in 2 1/2 years so in my mind it doesn't make sense to add another one even at $8/week. The sensible thing to do is fly what you have and save the $8/week a week to cover the cost of a compliant drone and help pay the $2.50/month subscription fee that's coming.

Fair enough. Hey, if you are going to wait 3 years before getting a drone, I can highly recommend taking up Hang Gliding in the interim. It's a total blast and there is no ADS-B In or Out, no broadcasting of location-based data elements - none of that stuff. And you get to actually be a pilot of a manned aircraft.

You would, of course, need to pass a couple of exams and get a licence to fly but that's no big deal right? I'm not joking - you would totally love it mate.

Sorry to veer off-topic.

If I want to fly I have a private pilots license and instrument rating. I also have a handful of drones and my 107. No shortage of things to do.

Sorry mate - didn't realise. But I still reckon you would love hang gliding. Just sayin' is all. I'll shut up now :)

I'd love to give it a try but if I didn't crash and kill myself during the first flight my wife would kill me when I got home...

Funny story...when I first started taking flying lessons I didn't tell my wife. I get home one day after work and my wife gives me "the look" then says "your flight instructor called to tell you your lesson for tomorrow is cancel". I had some explaining to do.

I'd love to give it a try but if I didn't crash and kill myself during the first flight my wife would kill me when I got home...

Funny story...when I first started taking flying lessons I didn't tell my wife. I get home one day after work and my wife gives me "the look" then says "your flight instructor called to tell you your lesson for tomorrow is cancel". I had some explaining to do.

Hahaha - that's Gold !!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven