DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Pushes Back 18th Date To New Undisclosed Date

LuvMyTJ

Reactions
It seems DJI will not be making an announcement on July 18th after all. They are saying they need more time. Is it some sort of marketing 3D chess... or some sort of issue? I guess we will wait and see.

Below is a message from DJI about it...

Thank you for RSVP’ing for the ‘See the Bigger Picture’ event on July 18th. Today we are making the difficult decision to push back the event. DJI is committed to introducing the most high-quality, cutting-edge technology in the market. We will postpone ‘See the Bigger Picture’ so we can deliver according to our standard of innovation. User experience is our top priority, and we wanted to ensure we can exceed our customers’ expectations for our technology by the time of the event. Please stay tuned for more information. Thank you for your continued interest and support.

I doubt this was planned. Moving the date is going to cost them a lot of money.

My bet is they hit a showstopper bug and need to hold everything until they can fix it.

Well I doubt it will cost them where they care and if it is a bug I am glad they did push it back before I got one if it is a mavic 2

Reactions: Former Member
Given the large number of their platforms with bugs after years of being on the market. I don’t think that’s why it’s not announced.

I suspect one of their competitors has something new coming and they don’t want to announce before they do. DJI loves playing hard ball with any one trying to bring to market something that competes with them. This is a chess move for them.

Reactions: Lapeer20m
Looks like they realized they don't need to release the Mavic Pro 2 and have decided to wait until Autel (or another company) releases something DJI needs to compete with.

Reactions: Rasputin74
Given the large number of their platforms with bugs after years of being on the market. I don’t think that’s why it’s not announced.

I suspect one of their competitors has something new coming and they don’t want to announce before they do. DJI loves playing hard ball with any one trying to bring to market something that competes with them. This is a chess move for them.

That seems like an extremely unlikely explanation. Firstly, DJI equipment, especially given its relatively ground-breaking nature, is remarkably bug free. And if they were to have hit an unexpected obstacle in one of the core functionalities or performance of a new product, they would obviously need to delay the announcement. Disappointing customers and inconveniencing invitees - vendors and the press - is not something they would do lightly.

As for other competitors, it's been an accepted tenet of tech marketing for years that it is better to get announcements out first rather than reactively following competitors. Look at Samsung's and Apple's races to announce for example.

That seems like an extremely unlikely explanation. Firstly, DJI equipment, especially given its relatively ground-breaking nature, is remarkably bug free. And if they were to have hit an unexpected obstacle in one of the core functionalities or performance of a new product, they would obviously need to delay the announcement. Disappointing customers and inconveniencing invitees - vendors and the press - is not something they would do lightly.

As for other competitors, it's been an accepted tenet of tech marketing for years that it is better to get announcements out first rather than reactively following competitors. Look at Samsung's and Apple's races to announce for example.

That was a bit more tongue and check about the bugs then how you read it. The forums are littered with people reporting bugs in products. So please don’t take my dry humour on the topic as a knock against them for having bugs. But rather it’s intent to be funny about how we perceive the nature of the bugs and yet so many units still sell in the market.

As for DJI announcements they seem to follow a different announcement program than the example you gave. Like when go pro announced the karma unit. For sure a speculation on my part but I think based in some reality.

Check out this video at around 03:25 he talks about how they announce at right around the same time as when a competitor comes out with something that threatens DJI.

And I agree with him, hence my point of view on the reason for the date being pushed could be because of this reason or any of many others reasons. Half the fun is the speculation.

Reactions: sar104
It's all speculation at this point. We don't even know if the cancelled announcement was the 'Mavic Pro II'.

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of time between the announcement of previous drones and having them being actually for sale, so plenty of time to fix bugs in the interval. Therefore, it may be something else entirely. Too early to jump to conclusions.

It seems DJI will not be making an announcement on July 18th after all. They are saying they need more time. Is it some sort of marketing 3D chess... or some sort of issue? I guess we will wait and see.

Below is a message from DJI about it...

Thank you for RSVP’ing for the ‘See the Bigger Picture’ event on July 18th. Today we are making the difficult decision to push back the event. DJI is committed to introducing the most high-quality, cutting-edge technology in the market. We will postpone ‘See the Bigger Picture’ so we can deliver according to our standard of innovation. User experience is our top priority, and we wanted to ensure we can exceed our customers’ expectations for our technology by the time of the event. Please stay tuned for more information. Thank you for your continued interest and support.
if Autel had their stock up and all related tech in line they really could do some damage. it's to bad I would like to see them succeed DJI needs a bully in town to get them in line with the customer care.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to the just announced China tariffs. Maybe DJI is concerned they cannot keep their price point with the increased cost to deliver to the U.S. They may be trying to figure out how much more they are going to need to charge and they may not quite know yet until they hear more of what the Chinese government is going to do. Of course more speculation but they are a Chinese company. I wouldn't be surprised-very coincidental to the Chinese announcement.

Z

I wouldn't be surprised if it is related to the just announced China tariffs. Maybe DJI is concerned they cannot keep their price point with the increased cost to deliver to the U.S. They may be trying to figure out how much more they are going to need to charge and they may not quite know yet until they hear more of what the Chinese government is going to do. Of course more speculation but they are a Chinese company. I wouldn't be surprised-very coincidental to the Chinese announcement.

Z

Your view makes a great deal of sense. But they could have made the announcement and withheld price too. It would be odd but they could say “under” a certain price.

Either way I think the tariffs will raise the us price. Which hoo fully doesn’t raise the world wide price as the Canadian $ for me already makes these things expensive!

Reactions: genesimmons
And this that was tweeted earlier today:

074e3774a0a7b1e82e6bce33c0a2cc0230e6fff92dda1935cce2f609279fffb2.jpg

Thread: Another "Mavic 2" leaked image

Last edited:
Oh my......

Could be the autel and anafi put the wind up DJI.

Back too the drawing board.

It looks like it already have lens on it, non-removable though. Let's wait till the announcement.

It could have been something as simple as a key presenter/media personality came up with a scheduling conflict or illness and they have to push.

We live in an era of gimme gimme now. More information the better... I'm not even that old but I miss being surprised by things. Not knowing what's coming before its out.. Used to be cool

Reactions: Rayearth
Does anyone remember the Mavic Pro announcement #debacle. :^)

Yes that was a disaster. They should not announce these technology releases until they can ship quality in quantity. The Mavic Pro apart from the months of shipping delays it also had lots of quality control problems,I.e large batch with mis-aligned camera. They need a new marketing manager. These type of announcements shoot themselves in the foot before it hurts anybody else. Sales of existing Mavic will grind to a halt and the price will drop to stimulate demand as people will be holding off for a Mavic two. I have had my Mavic for 18 months and have had a greate time flying it so I can wait until Mavic 2 is available. New buyers will be hesitant to buy now with a new model over the horizon. My two bobs worth

I believe DJI saw what Autel and Parrot released and figured the mavic pro and air are still just as good as the competitors. They might hold off and see if they are losing market share to autel and parrot. They might hold on until late fall or Christmas time for official release.

Reactions: Rayearth

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98