DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC-N1: recommended wireless setup for external monitor

JTProductions

Reactions
Hello!

What configuration would be recommended for transmitting live flight imagery to an external monitor for client viewing? I'm using a DJI RC-N1 with a Samsung S22+. I thought about using a USB-C hub connected to my phone that sends an HDMI out to a wireless video transmitter, but that USB-C hub would take up the port that connects the RC-N1 to the phone. So, I tested my USB-C hub and the DJI RC-N1 and it looks like the DJI Fly App isn't accepting a signal from the hub.
For reference, here is the hub I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BP6SYLK

Buying the DJI RC Pro just to get an HDMI out isn't worth it as my phone screen is already brighter 1,750 nits vs 1,000 nits on RC Pro (the phone doesn't dim significantly). If there's a way to use a USB-C hub/splitter to connect the RC-N1 to HDMI, that would solve my problem.

Let me know if there's a solution, or I might need to buy the DJI RC Pro :(

Thanks in advance.

Being that you are fortunate enough to have RC-N1 you can use your device (phone or tablet) to screen mirror or use Chrome cast, or even a usb wired cable to output HDMI.

Reactions: b1xn00d
These are unavailable at the moment and unproven in what the op is asking.
This is a non-comment.
Ummmm... you're right, you left a non-comment.

Available 5/31 and...

I routinely teach classes to my pilots and external organizations and whatever your available version of Airplay or Chromecast is without a doubt the easiest way to mirror your screen. You will need a chrome stick or AppleTv but after that you just cast to your respective device.

I would also add though, and this one is more opinion, that if you are going to fly professionally and a significant amount I have always found it worth it to be on the new RC options. I have a dozen pilots flying missions of every sort and now that I have phased out all my P4Pv2 platforms i have finally done away with external devices and every pilot is happier for it.

I use Litchi on one device and a second device with litchi vue. The second device has a lightning to hdmi connector and I then plug that in to whatever I want to use.
To use the fly app I used screen mirroring (airplay) it worked great, my clients loved it.

I routinely teach classes to my pilots and external organizations and whatever your available version of Airplay or Chromecast is without a doubt the easiest way to mirror your screen. You will need a chrome stick or AppleTv but after that you just cast to your respective device.
Actually, most "smart" TVs from the last 5 years support screen mirroring directly, without need for any device attached to the TV or monitor. If your display device connects to wifi and can stream content directly from providers (Netflix, Prime Video, etc.), it very likely supports screen mirroring.

When I do this, my phone (Galaxy Z Fold 2) connects directly wirelessly to the TV (a Samsung smart TV).

On android on the phone, be sure and set the Aspect Ratio to match the display device, not the source (your phone).

Reactions: Sunny Coast Mini 2
On your Phone goto google home .... find your TV then select cast phone to this screen.

Big tip: make sure you use the faster 5g wifi.
That way there is minimal lag.

Awesome and clear using the RC N 1

I used a 'Cable Creation" usb C expansion hub. Its usb C input and HDMI, USB A and LAN port. I connected the hub to the RC2 of my DJI Mavic mini 4 pro and a hdmi cable to a regular PC monitor and was able to see the same screen as the RC 2 display. I can now use the same hdmi output to connect to a FPV or VR goggles that has HDMI input.

I used a 'Cable Creation" usb C expansion hub. Its usb C input and HDMI, USB A and LAN port. I connected the hub to the RC2 of my DJI Mavic mini 4 pro and a hdmi cable to a regular PC monitor and was able to see the same screen as the RC 2 display. I can now use the same hdmi output to connect to a FPV or VR goggles that has HDMI input.
I think your close...but..The discussion is RC N1. It is terrific. Here is the discussion for the RC 2:

Hello!

What configuration would be recommended for transmitting live flight imagery to an external monitor for client viewing? I'm using a DJI RC-N1 with a Samsung S22+. I thought about using a USB-C hub connected to my phone that sends an HDMI out to a wireless video transmitter, but that USB-C hub would take up the port that connects the RC-N1 to the phone. So, I tested my USB-C hub and the DJI RC-N1 and it looks like the DJI Fly App isn't accepting a signal from the hub.
For reference, here is the hub I'm using: Amazon.com

Buying the DJI RC Pro just to get an HDMI out isn't worth it as my phone screen is already brighter 1,750 nits vs 1,000 nits on RC Pro (the phone doesn't dim significantly). If there's a way to use a USB-C hub/splitter to connect the RC-N1 to HDMI, that would solve my problem.

Let me know if there's a solution, or I might need to buy the DJI RC Pro :(

Thanks in advance.
I have experimented with TWO Phone HUBS - Both Good Brands
.... I tested BOTH and it seems BOTH had the same experience as the OP described ...
and it looks like the DJI Fly App isn't accepting a signal from the hub
The HDMI From the PHONE was Awesome - ... Very FAST and 4K as advertised....

On the Larger hub - with HDMI ( also having 2 USB C - slots) one for Power Support and the other for two way data transfer... connecting that the the DJI RCN1 - showed no Connection - Only Bypassing the HUB made a connection to fly on the Phone.

Both hubs worked the same.
If the hub's Connection to the DJI RC N1 Worked, it would be Happy days ....

Maybe its a USB setting on the Phone, the Hub or the RCN1 needed adjusting...

Maybe theres an Expert who can advise how to connect the DJI RCN1 through a Multiport HUB (which includes an HDMI) to my Phone.

Being that you are fortunate enough to have RC-N1 you can use your device (phone or tablet) to screen mirror or use Chrome cast, or even a usb wired cable to output HDMI.
Hey 3rdof5, could I ask you something? If you mirror de image, can you get a clean output? Without all the information in the display? Is there anyway to get this happening? Thanks a lot!

Hey 3rdof5, could I ask you something? If you mirror de image, can you get a clean output? Without all the information in the display? Is there anyway to get this happening? Thanks a lot!

This will depend mostly on the processing power of your phone, and in practice the only practical way to find out is do it.

Typically, screen mirroring an android device copies the screen exactly so if this is your method then no, you can't just view the camera feed without the telemetry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne