DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Refresh-then and now...

Montana_Flyer

Reactions
This is a rant about DJI's refresh system, I just need to blow off steam and see if I am alone with my frustrations.

I have been a DJI flyer since early 2019, which isn't long I know. My first bird was a Mavic Air, which was awesome. I purchased the DJI Refresh at the time of the purchase, suspecting that I would likely crunch it somehow. Lo and behold about six months later I put it into a 200' cedar tree where it lived for a couple of days before finally being blown to the ground in a wind/rain storm (Seattle area folks). Knowing I had the refresh coverage, I sent it in for my first replacement, pleasantly surprised that in only 10 days I had a shiny new (maybe refurbished?) unit at my front door. I was beside myself with appreciation, and I am certain that my joy led to the purchase of at least two more DJI drones by others. Since then I have purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Pro, a used Spark, a Tello (for the kids) and most recently a Mavic Mini 2, purchasing the refresh option for all but the Tello and Spark.

I have since returned to my home state of Montana, bringing my drones with me to capture the natural beauty only found here. But since the winters are much more severe here, I keep my fleet in my drone cabinet during the harsher months, bringing them out periodically to cycle the batteries. Around the end of February, while booting up the Zoom, it wouldn't get beyond a "200 Error", so I exercised the refresh option (now in refresh+, 2nd year). The analysis showed bad gimbal and board, requiring a $149 replacement fee, so remembering my previous experience I did not hesitate and quickly paypal'd the funds. That moment was the last time that I felt good about the refresh program.

After about another 10 days (3 weeks after first submitting the case, delayed because it took a week to get the return label) I received a replacement, but lo and behold it was DOA, complaining about a "gimbal motor overload". I now had about a week of refresh+ time left, and a dead drone. I called DJI, and they told me to open another case which required a restart of the whole process. After another 3 weeks (yes, another delay getting me a return label), I finally received a replacement of the first replacement. I had this one for about a month, only flying it a few times, when one sunny day it suddenly dropped out of the sky while ascending during a RTH. Perplexed and curious as to what really happened, I once again sent it in (now out of refresh but hopeful that it was under some kind of warranty). That was more than two weeks ago, they still have it, still awaiting a determination.

Given that I was so impressed with my first refresh experience, and how my recent experiences have been so much different, I was just wondering if I am alone or has that program just gotten really bad?. Luckily I purchased a backup State Farm insurance policy to cover my fleet just in case I lost a drone in the water or they were stolen, (which is outside of refresh coverage), so if DJI denies this last issue I am still covered.

Any other refresh/refresh+ stories out there? Maybe some good ones to restore my confidence in the DJI repair service? I still have 3 drones covered, but will I have the same experience if I have to use it?

</SS>

This is a rant about DJI's refresh system, I just need to blow off steam and see if I am alone with my frustrations.

I have been a DJI flyer since early 2019, which isn't long I know. My first bird was a Mavic Air, which was awesome. I purchased the DJI Refresh at the time of the purchase, suspecting that I would likely crunch it somehow. Lo and behold about six months later I put it into a 200' cedar tree where it lived for a couple of days before finally being blown to the ground in a wind/rain storm (Seattle area folks). Knowing I had the refresh coverage, I sent it in for my first replacement, pleasantly surprised that in only 10 days I had a shiny new (maybe refurbished?) unit at my front door. I was beside myself with appreciation, and I am certain that my joy led to the purchase of at least two more DJI drones by others. Since then I have purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Pro, a used Spark, a Tello (for the kids) and most recently a Mavic Mini 2, purchasing the refresh option for all but the Tello and Spark.

I have since returned to my home state of Montana, bringing my drones with me to capture the natural beauty only found here. But since the winters are much more severe here, I keep my fleet in my drone cabinet during the harsher months, bringing them out periodically to cycle the batteries. Around the end of February, while booting up the Zoom, it wouldn't get beyond a "200 Error", so I exercised the refresh option (now in refresh+, 2nd year). The analysis showed bad gimbal and board, requiring a $149 replacement fee, so remembering my previous experience I did not hesitate and quickly paypal'd the funds. That moment was the last time that I felt good about the refresh program.

After about another 10 days (3 weeks after first submitting the case, delayed because it took a week to get the return label) I received a replacement, but lo and behold it was DOA, complaining about a "gimbal motor overload". I now had about a week of refresh+ time left, and a dead drone. I called DJI, and they told me to open another case which required a restart of the whole process. After another 3 weeks (yes, another delay getting me a return label), I finally received a replacement of the first replacement. I had this one for about a month, only flying it a few times, when one sunny day it suddenly dropped out of the sky while ascending during a RTH. Perplexed and curious as to what really happened, I once again sent it in (now out of refresh but hopeful that it was under some kind of warranty). That was more than two weeks ago, they still have it, still awaiting a determination.

Given that I was so impressed with my first refresh experience, and how my recent experiences have been so much different, I was just wondering if I am alone or has that program just gotten really bad?. Luckily I purchased a backup State Farm insurance policy to cover my fleet just in case I lost a drone in the water or they were stolen, (which is outside of refresh coverage), so if DJI denies this last issue I am still covered.

Any other refresh/refresh+ stories out there? Maybe some good ones to restore my confidence in the DJI repair service? I still have 3 drones covered, but will I have the same experience if I have to use it?

</SS>
My Air 2 is coming up for renewal and DJI is "trying" to get me to sign up. Not gonna do it. More expensive and time consuming than a 3rd Party Insurance Plan.

My one and only dealing with DJI was a nightmare and won't do that again. Between blaming Covid and just long wait times for EVERYTHING between emails and actually sending me a drone weeks after paying for it and they charging my CC - I learned my lesson.

Others have had exemplary service, which seems to be mostly outside of the US for some reason.

Love my Air2 (and old Mini) and had no issues with it for a year, so unless some other drone company can step up to the plate - then DJI will be it for me. May upgrade when the Mavic 3 comes out, but it will have to have some worth features for me to pony up what will probably over $1,200 for the drone and Fly More. Time will only tell.

Last, but not least - customer service has hit rock bottom for well over 90% of companies in the US. They just don't seem to care once they have your money. Sad, when you have such a loyal following like DJI has.

i do not have the refresh program but right after purchasing my Mavic Pro I could not get it to connect with the controller. DJI had me send it in and repaired it and returned it. It took several weeks but that included shipping time. My original battery failed to charge after only a dozen flights. Again, I contacted DJI and they verified it was under warranty and told me to send it in. While the problems have been a little aggravating, in both instances DJI opened up the case right away and immediately printed the shipping label. Don't know when I'll get a report on the battery since I just sent it back to them earlier this week. However, in both cases the representatives from DJI have been courteous and professional. So far I am very happy with the customer service provided by DJI.

More expensive and time consuming than a 3rd Party Insurance Plan.
Absolutely true. I have always had both, but never had to pull the trigger on the insurance. Looks like I may have to this time.
Love my Air2 (and old Mini) and had no issues with it for a year, so unless some other drone company can step up to the plate - then DJI will be it for me. May upgrade when the Mavic 3 comes out, but it will have to have some worth features for me to pony up what will probably over $1,200 for the drone and Fly More. Time will only tell.
Fully on board here as well. They make the best hardware, which lands a lot of people into this same situation.

i do not have the refresh program but right after purchasing my Mavic Pro I could not get it to connect with the controller. DJI had me send it in and repaired it and returned it. It took several weeks but that included shipping time. My original battery failed to charge after only a dozen flights. Again, I contacted DJI and they verified it was under warranty and told me to send it in. While the problems have been a little aggravating, in both instances DJI opened up the case right away and immediately printed the shipping label. Don't know when I'll get a report on the battery since I just sent it back to them earlier this week. However, in both cases the representatives from DJI have been courteous and professional. So far I am very happy with the customer service provided by DJI.
It is certainly refreshing to hear from a satisfied support customer. I hope all continues to go well, but it looks like you have had your share of issues over a such short period of time. Warranty vs Refresh may be like comparing apples to oranges. During a case creation the first thing they do is determine if the aircraft is still under warranty. I wonder if that makes a difference in how the case is handled.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1