DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI REPAIR SCAM

Just received my drone back that I'd sent in for warranty repair for jello. I'd sent it in with fast shipping at my expense, and requested they send it back to me by air at my expense. I even put $20 beer money in with the drone to make the repair guys hopefully actually give a ****. Well that didn't work. They sent it back by UPS ground, it's a different drone with a different serial, but I'm not sure if it's refurbished or they just sent me someone else's broken drone.. One of the front arms doesn't snap in to position like the other, it has to be pushed all the way in to position. They also didn't install the gimbal clamp properly, so the camera was sitting in front of it and moving freely during shipping. What terrible terrible customer support. I'll try it later today and we'll see if it works...

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

i had a similar situation with mine... Mavic was fine and didnt even have a scratch on it but i did need a new gimbal and 2 props. I had to argue and got 5 different invoices before i finally got an estimate for the repairs needed which was 2 props and a gimbal for $157.00... My first invoice was identical to yours...

Is there any online resource for buying Mavic parts so that the end user can repair themselves?

There's a couple of approved vendors on this forum that will repair Mavic Pros if you mail it to them. I would say if you don't have DJI Care Refresh I would start with them before DJI directly.
You say that there are a couple of approved vendors on this forum, could you be a little more specific as having already paid such a high price for the product and the additional insurance to then have DJI try to rip me off with unjustifiable repair costs to minor cosmetic scratched outer casings is totally unjustifiably. i'm so incensed that i'm going to request that the drone be returned un-repaired and have it inspected by an independent and damage assessed.

Reactions: Tricky98
Got a mavic pro probably like many of you tried flying it inside and crashed it nothing major couple broken propellers scratch here and there. And a gimbal cover was on so not even a scratch on camera or gimbal motors.

After crash inspected no broken parts.
But got gimbal overload error.
After painstaking searching for similar problems to see if I can fix it myself.
Found a video on YouTube with exactly the same problem, after asking him what was his problem and how much did it cost him,
He said it was gimbal control board and
Cost $17 but all has been waived because it was on warranty.

So I got excited because it's not going to cost me much to repair.
Since you can't find any parts to buy so you could fix it yourself.
And I live in Canada it took a week to get there then another week on dji shelf
After talking to so called support finally got the email with invoice

Invoice

Customer:
Case:
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 01-30-17
Remarks: Non-warranty. Aircraft has impact damage OR Hard Landing.

Item Quantity Unit Price(USD) Total Price(USD)
Back Right Motor Arm 1 19.00
Back Left Motor Arm 1 19.00
Intelligent Flight Battery 1 89.00
Mavic Pro Gimbal & Camera 179.00
Middle Frame 1 4.00
Front Left Motor Arm 1 22.00
Front Right Motor Arm 1 22.00
Mavic 8330 Quick-release Folding Propellers
1 9.00 Top Cover 1 1.00
Service Charge 1 65.00/h 65.00
Freight: 0.00
Total Amount: 429.00
DJI Care deduction: 0.00
Total Payment: 429.00

After talking with support and telling him that all I need repaired is gimbal.
I don't want battery because they asked to send drone and remote no battery.
I don't want new arms old ones are good I tested it was good flown it a couple of times to ensure.
I don't need top cover and frame they are fine not a scratch.
Propellers I'd take
I'm guessing that the person I talked about
Didn't tell them he had a crash
I did so ok I'll pay your labour change.

Invoice 2

Customer:
Case No:
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 01-31-17
Remarks: Non-warranty. Aircraft has impact damage OR Hard Landing.

Mavic Pro Gimbal & Camera 1 179.00
1 9.00
Middle Frame 1 4.00
Top Cover 1 1.00
Service Charge 1 65.00/H 65.00
Discount: -42.90
Total Payment: 386.10

After this I'm pretty fed up with DJI
call again requested to speak with supervisor talked to on it seemed like his getting my point so he said I will be charged for gimbal and that's all and I should receive invoice in half hour...
A day later got invoice

Invoice 3

Case No:
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 02-02-17
Remarks: 1. Non-warranty. Aircraft has impact damage OR Hard Landing. 2. Additional 10% discount for inaccurate part cost

Top Cover 1 1.00
Middle Frame 1 4.00
Mavic 8330 Quick-release Folding Propellers 1 1 9.00
Discount: -85.80
Total Payment: 343.20

At this point finally got to me that DJI USA is not in the business of repairing drones just replacing.
So I call again speak to another Supervisor and he told me that they might have to replace my drone because there is too much damage horse ****. so I'm done at this point and I say fine replace the arms and gimbal then as I wait for invoice again called day later requested to talk to manager tried to explain that all I want is to repair parts that are faulty then he goes on that I must replace arms because it won't pass quality assurance. So I told him that I didn't send my drone for replacement just for repair and he admitted that they don't repair mavic just replace and that they don't have parts now and ya they just send replacements aha so that's why you want to charge me for all this parts.Because you don't have any in
MANUFACTURE REPAIR SHOP!!!! REALLY!!!!
IT'S PARTS AND REPAIR MONOPOLY
I HAVE RECORDED MOST OF MY PHONE CALLS WITH THEN WILL UPLOAD THEM TO YOUTUBE TO WARN
PEOPLE THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The 10% discount is for
179.00 for gimbal and camera charge
Confronted the supervisor's about this
Turns out they don't even know about online repair price chart

In their ONLINE REPAIR PRICING CHART
It's 159.00 for gimbal and camera

Got final invoice
Invoice 4

Customer:
Case No:
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 02-03-17
Remarks: 1. Non-warranty. Aircraft has impact damage OR Hard Landing. 2. Additional 10% discount for inaccurate part cost 3. Removed the shell and battery per tasked customer request

Middle Frame 1 4.00
Total Amount: 339.00
Discount: -67.80
Total Payment: 271.20

And I told them I would like them to send me the old "broken gimbal assembly will see.
Battery has been taken out and top cover
And some credit discount applied for wrong
Gimbal and camera price.

In the end I still overpaid for “repair”

This goes to BBB if anybody have a similar problem recommend do same

BBB Accredited Business Review for DJI Service, LLC.

where the charge should be
$17 for part
$65 labor
$9 Props
total $91

Got this when I tried posting this on their forum.
FWIW, I had a similar problem but my time (I felt) was worth more than the money. My Phantom 4 motors would not shut off after a smooth landing. Aircraft eventually tipped over and very minor damage. So I sent it to DJI for repair of the 1/4" small crack in top shell, near battery. I got a repair estimate of 179 which included 2 HOUSR of LABOR !!!!! And replacing shell and landing sear. Landing gear was perfect. What is going on here. Emails back and further resulted in incomprehensible automatic-type replies.

I was very pissed. This is definitely a SCAM and I Will write DJI senior CEO when I find some time. Just telling you-all so you know what to expect. YES, my State Farm Insurance would have paid for it but I'm not gonna file a claim until (G_D FORBID!!!!) It is destroyed, stolen or lost.

Same issue with my Phantom 3 Standard by the sounds of it, broke the Camera off the Gimbal, had a look at parts on Ebay to get an idea of repair cost and gave it to a local Hobbie store to send it for repair. Had a phone call from them 2 days ago telling me it's over $600 AUD to repair. Still waiting on the return call after I blew up big time about the stuff they said needed repairing when I knew it didn't. As you guy's know a new Standard is $690 AUD new. I have purchased and received a Mavic now so I'm in no big hurry to get the Standard back.

I would send it to my local only one shop in Canada but they didn't have parts yet and they at least ask you if you want the old part back.

Could you tell us who and where I already sent in my mavic an am now more than concerned about this whole deal thanks for any info ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I crashed and damaged the gimbal and cracked one of the landing legs. Carson California repaired mine for $137. Repairs didn't actually take very long but UPS Ground shipping to FOREVER! My suggestion is to ship overnight. That alone will save you almost a week. Did not have refresh.

Reactions: Tricky98
You say that there are a couple of approved vendors on this forum, could you be a little more specific as having already paid such a high price for the product and the additional insurance to then have DJI try to rip me off with unjustifiable repair costs to minor cosmetic scratched outer casings is totally unjustifiably. i'm so incensed that i'm going to request that the drone be returned un-repaired and have it inspected by an independent and damage assessed.
Thunderdrones is the one I've dealt with on this forum. It wasn't for a repair, but I purchased a couple of batteries off of him. He is all over the classifieds and an approved vendor. I know he sells parts for self repair or will allow for you to mail your MP to him to repair.

I have a related story I sent my drone out 2 days after I recieved it brand new in the box because it was sent to me with a faulty Gimbal so had it for 2 days and back it went on 2/4/17. After numerous calls and Chat conversations because I was wondering why it was taking so long they said it would be sent out on Friday 2/24/2017. 20 days and now I receive an email from them that MY drone is on its way . They gave me the serial number of the Drone being sent back to me and it was NOT MY DRONE! I wrote them and they said someone would get back to me Monday!! 2/27/2017 So if they were not sending my drone back then why the hell did it take 20 days? Also I want my new Drone not a refurbished one..

Reactions: mavicrag
Yep... there also seems to be a problem with the refurbished drones not being tested enough.. I've been a few now trying to get one that actually works and am still waiting to exchange again (Experienced almost every bug)

iPhone 6S

Yeah as I am waiting patiently(that's hard enough) I am soooo worried about getting a bunk or defective drone in return now as mine was Rock Solid except for me splashing it with saltwater:(

Reactions: Arcadian501
They really need to get there act together! Imagine sending your new car in for repair and the dealer gives you back a used one! That is a good way to not get future buisness!

I have a related story I sent my drone out 2 days after I recieved it brand new in the box because it was sent to me with a faulty Gimbal so had it for 2 days and back it went on 2/4/17. After numerous calls and Chat conversations because I was wondering why it was taking so long they said it would be sent out on Friday 2/24/2017. 20 days and now I receive an email from them that MY drone is on its way . They gave me the serial number of the Drone being sent back to me and it was NOT MY DRONE! I wrote them and they said someone would get back to me Monday!! 2/27/2017 So if they were not sending my drone back then why the **** did it take 20 days? Also I want my new Drone not a refurbished one..

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Arcadian501
This is exactly what Verizon does with phones during the warranty period. I have had problems a few times over the years and they always send me a refurbished phone. Fortunately, they have always been pretty much in as new condition.

Reactions: MichaelnotMike
Agree. DJI In the Netherlands have had my Mavic over two weeks now. All went smoothly up to the repair stage were it has been stuck for six days now. Don't know if this is cos it's a warranty job or what but it's pissing me off now!

I finally received my shipping information... now I just hope I get a good working unit!

Hey all, FYI I actually spoke with the manager at the Carson facility, and he says that when you receive a mavic back from repair with a new serial, it's actually brand new, not refurbished. It's not in retail packing because they receive them from the factory in a box with a whole bunch of them tightly packed, but it is new.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa