DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Restricted areas are CIRCULAR. All NFZ's are not Circular!

mmv|creative

Reactions
First my apologies on submitting a thread for my first post. But I believe I have an interesting case here. TL;DR at the bottom.
I live in Columbus, GA. There is a NFZ here for Fort Benning, one of the largest military installations in the country, home to our military's infantry training. Granted, I would never fly my Mavic here, and there is a NFZ over the area anyway.

Well, for some reason, DJI created a HUGE circle to cover this entire base, but since they only use circles to zone off restricted areas, my ENTIRE city of Columbus, GA is encompassed in it (population quarter million). This NFZ is not supposed to be circular.

Here are three different sources of what the restricted zoning looks like for Fort Benning:

Here is DJI's incorrect zoning (which seems to be a huge "circle" to encompass the entire zone)
As you can see, DJI basically placed an entire circle to sufficiently cover the entire restricted airspace. Which in turn, ENGULFS my entire city of Columbus, GA. I've sent them e-mails, and reported the error through the app, but I haven't heard anything yet.
Has anyone out there ran into this issue? This basically makes my drone a paperweight.

Thanks for reading,
-Heartbroken Mavic flyer.

TL;DR DJI uses circles to zone off restricted areas. But in doing that, they covered my whole city in error. I can't fly.

Reactions: Hunter58
First my apologies on submitting a thread for my first post. But I believe I have an interesting case here. TL;DR at the bottom.
I live in Columbus, GA. There is a NFZ here for Fort Benning, one of the largest military installations in the country, home to our military's infantry training. Granted, I would never fly my Mavic here, and there is a NFZ over the area anyway.

Well, for some reason, DJI created a HUGE circle to cover this entire base, but since they only use circles to zone off restricted areas, my ENTIRE city of Columbus, GA is encompassed in it (population quarter million). This NFZ is not supposed to be circular.

Here are three different sources of what the restricted zoning looks like for Fort Benning:

Here is DJI's incorrect zoning (which seems to be a huge "circle" to encompass the entire zone)
As you can see, DJI basically placed an entire circle to sufficiently cover the entire restricted airspace. Which in turn, ENGULFS my entire city of Columbus, GA. I've sent them e-mails, and reported the error through the app, but I haven't heard anything yet.
Has anyone out there ran into this issue? This basically makes my drone a paperweight.

Thanks for reading,

TL;DR DJI uses circles to zone off restricted areas. But in doing that, they covered my whole city in error. I can't fly.

I've had a false NFZ near my house that I've been battling with them over since I bought my Mavic back in December, it's back with every other firmware update, however, I flew yesterday and its gone again. I have the most current firmware and haven't updated anything, so I don't get it.

I've had a false NFZ near my house that I've been battling with them over since I bought my Mavic back in December, it's back with every other firmware update, however, I flew yesterday and its gone again. I have the most current firmware and haven't updated anything, so I don't get it.

so how'd they go about correcting the situation? did they just take your serial number, and brute force you by adding you in a database to fly?
Ugh, if this is the battle I foresee, I might just have to go non-dji. Which sucks, because I love my mavic.

Reactions: woesch
I'm sure DJI just does this out of sheer programming convenience. It's far easier to make a circular NFZ that encompasses the entire actual NFZ thus covering a lot of area that is not NFZ, than it is to map out the actual NFZ.

My whole city is under class E airspace with a floor of 700' AGL. So I'm only flying in the unrestricted class G below. I get warnings everywhere that I'm flying in class D and have to do the check box that I have permission to fly when I don't need it.

There is a setting, I'm not sure how long it's been there, I just noticed it the other day so maybe with the new update, that appears to let you turn the "Geo System" off. It only shows up when the Mavic is connected. I haven't played with it yet, but maybe it will solve your problem.

19Bt0bB.png

I'm sure DJI just does this out of sheer programming convenience. It's far easier to make a circular NFZ that encompasses the entire actual NFZ thus covering a lot of area that is not NFZ, than it is to map out the actual NFZ.

My whole city is under class E airspace with a floor of 700' AGL. So I'm only flying in the unrestricted class G below. I get warnings everywhere that I'm flying in class D and have to do the check box that I have permission to fly when I don't need it.

There is a setting, I'm not sure how long it's been there, I just noticed it the other day so maybe with the new update, that appears to let you turn the "Geo System" off. It only shows up when the Mavic is connected. I haven't played with it yet, but maybe it will solve your problem.

19Bt0bB.png
Hey, thanks for replying. I actually saw this setting, and toggled it, and played with the settings every which-a-way - including applying for the Unlock in Columbus area. But since the zone is "restricted" there is no way I can unlock, or disable -- it still insists i'm in a NFZ. Can't wait to hear back from DJI on this one.

Actually, looking at a sectional chart, all of Columbus is under class E with a floor of 700 AGL. Which shouldn't be a problem. The problem is that most of Columbus is class D airspace due to the Columbus Airport. You should be able to fly with warnings and you should be asking for approval.

You also have class D to the south due to Lawson Army Airfield but that doesn't look like it encroaches on Columbus proper.

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts Use "csg" in the search to center on Columbus.

But if you are totally locked out from flying, I go back to my original theory that DJI put a big circle over Benning for their convenience.

Reactions: gavcuk
Good post! I use the B4UFLY App and it shows the outline of No Fly Zones. I spend time between DJI Go4 and F.A.A. app to determine if I'm in the clear to fly.

Actually, looking at a sectional chart, all of Columbus is under class E with a floor of 700 AGL. Which shouldn't be a problem. The problem is that most of Columbus is class D airspace due to the Columbus Airport. You should be able to fly with warnings and you should be asking for approval.

You also have class D to the south due to Lawson Army Airfield but that doesn't look like it encroaches on Columbus proper.

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts Use "csg" in the search to center on Columbus.

But if you are totally locked out from flying, I go back to my original theory that DJI put a big circle over Benning for their convenience.

That's interesting. I did see the app also warns me I need "authorization" to fly per the Class D airspace, but then EVERYTHING is halted, when the drone realizes its in a NFZ zone, and I can't even get my propeller's to spin.
Ill keep you guys updated! I fear that DJI made a big mistake in using circles for their NFZ.

Don't you just love DJI? Here is how DJI sees my area, and here is how it actually is.DJIs Oahu.JPG Actual Oahu.JPG

I'm having the same **** problem and it's BS! If they're not going to make the correct NFZ they shouldn't not implement them at all! I emailed them yesterday about this so it will probably a couple months before I hear back

I'm having the same **** problem and it's BS! If they're not going to make the correct NFZ they shouldn't not implement them at all! I emailed them yesterday about this so it will probably a couple months before I hear back
ive been fighting this battle for the past week. Are you in columbus too?
They are insistent for me to get Authorization to fly. But how the hell am I supposed to get authroization to fly in a military restricted zone for fort benning? Do they really think that one of the largest miilitary installations in our country is going to give a hobbyist an authroization to fly over restricted air space?

So mind numbingly frustrating. All they keep telling me is, "sir, I understand, but we cannot let handle that request, please contact [email protected]". I tell them, I have contacted THREE times to that address, and they keep rejecting my request telling me I need authorization. ARGHHHHHHHH. I have a $1300 paperweight with accessories.

19Bt0bB.png

As soon as you update to the newest App GO 4 iOS version 4.1.2 the Geo System switch is gone! DJI removed this option.

I'm in anchorage ak but same story. About 2 miles from a NFZ and am unable due to the circlular shape. I hate the idea that they're able to do this. So frustrating and dissappointing

I filed a bug report to DJI last week. I filed 3 bugs with regards to NFZ:
(1) Incorrect/inconsistent maps. I gave them 3 specific examples with maps, including Columbus, San Bernardino, and Oahu. Used some of the maps that you guys provided.
(2) Requiring NFZ updates when in an area with no Internet (functional bug).
(3) Drones "crashing" when found inside the NFZ (per anecdotal evidence).

I got a few automated responses from them last week, but yesterday, I actually got a human response from one of the developers. He said that they will look at the 3 issues, and he specifically added that they will update their no-fly zone database to make it more accurate.

Let's see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for reading,

Thanks for reading,

I live in Fortson, GA 20 min. north of Columbus. And I ordered a Mavic Pro yesterday. Was your NFZ problem resolved? I’m sure I’ll be facing the same issue(s).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead