DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji sent me a replacement drone is it brand new or refurbished?

Ben1UK

Reactions
I sent my Mavic for a gimbal repair under warranty and dji sent me a different unit back. The one I got sent had all the stickers on to suggest it’s brand new. The one I sent was pristine in every way other than the gimbal was acting up (never crashed) the replacements serial number: 0M63HBP0H1Y058
Dji are useless when I ask them about this! Thanks for your help!

it will be an as new drone ,this is normal practice ,it speeds up the turn round time for you to get a replacement ,your original drone will be repaired and any damaged parts exchanged and will then be sent out to another person

Reactions: Thomas B
Maybe because he just wants to know. I know I would prefer to know if it is new or refurbished.

I sent my Mavic for a gimbal repair under warranty and dji sent me a different unit back. The one I got sent had all the stickers on to suggest it’s brand new. The one I sent was pristine in every way other than the gimbal was acting up (never crashed) the replacements serial number: 0M63HBP0H1Y058
You say "Mavic"...as you don't say which variant...impossible to say. As mentioned Refurbished or New could be one in the same, looks the same, warranty is the same...given that a "refurbished" could have passed at least two QC inspections..I know which I would rather have :p

Last edited:
Reactions: barrybcar
SOP..... Standard Operating Procedure.
Not waiting for them to get around to repair it.
Easier to replace it. Then work on it later.

Reactions: sikspy
In my own personal experience I have had one Mavic Air 1 (red) and one Mavic 2 Pro replaced. They both came with different serial numbers and stickies. Essentially, you are getting a refurbished drone ,I think, which is as good as a new one. In my mind, it's a great deal for the money (Refresh).

Hi, everytime you send a drone in they will repackage it like new. A great way to tell if it is a refurbished products look at the fifth from last character and if it is a S or R then it is refurbished. I don't think your new drone is refurbished according to the serial number you gave. :cool:

A great way to tell if it is a refurbished products look at the fifth from last character and if it is a S or R then it is refurbished.
Hooray! my Mavic Air is actually new. I had just sent it along with a malfunctioning controller and for a very nominal fee I received back a new drone and controller. Not complaining :)

Reactions: SkyPath Studios
Hi, everytime you send a drone in they will repackage it like new. A great way to tell if it is a refurbished products look at the fifth from last character and if it is a S or R then it is refurbished. I don't think your new drone is refurbished according to the serial number you gave. :cool:
I just went through this because of a Vision System replacement board on my Mavic 2 Zoom. I called DJI and asked about letters in the Serial Number showing new or replacement. They did not agree with this so called rule. In my case. I did however give them my Ser No and they said it was a new drone. I asked why they would give me a new drone when my old one was pristine and they said, "If you needed a part that was not in stock, they would send a new drone".

I just went through this because of a Vision System replacement board on my Mavic 2 Zoom. I called DJI and asked about letters in the Serial Number showing new or replacement. They did not agree with this so called rule. In my case. I did however give them my Ser No and they said it was a new drone. I asked why they would give me a new drone when my old one was pristine and they said, "If you needed a part that was not in stock, they would send a new drone".
Every time I talked to DJI about this 'rule' they have agreed??? The in stock thing is true though.

I'm going through this same process right now. Actually talking to a DJI agent as we speak trying to find out if my replacement unit was a new one or a refurbished one. They are being very unhelpful, actively avoiding answering the question.. They did confirm that there is no such rule regarding the letter "S" or "R" in the serial number. They just keep telling me that my unit is "new or as new". But they won't tell me which.

I'm going through this same process right now. Actually talking to a DJI agent as we speak trying to find out if my replacement unit was a new one or a refurbished one. They are being very unhelpful, actively avoiding answering the question.. They did confirm that there is no such rule regarding the letter "S" or "R" in the serial number. They just keep telling me that my unit is "new or as new". But they won't tell me which.
Do NOT sweat this or worry about out it for a second! I have had a Mavic Air(1), and Mavic Mini (1), and. Mavic 2 Pro replaced on Care Refresh. Oneeach occasion I got back a drone that was as good as new. It had all the stickies on it, etc. I really don't care if it is a refurbish or new. I got an essentially new drone back.

That “rule” is literally on DJI’s website…🤷🏻‍♂️

Specifically, go here DJI Refurbished Products - Up to 20% Savings, Certified Quality and Full Warranty | DJI.com

…page down to the FAQ section and see #6 which states -
“How can I identify a refurbished product?

Check the serial number. For all refurbished products, the fifth from last character will be "S"or "R"”

wouldn’t be the first time a telephone rep, for any company not just DJI, didn’t know what they were talking about…😂

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98