DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI smart controller; my opinion

Greetings All!

I’m new and I have a bad habit of going Way overboard!
January I started with the Mavic Pro. I then bought the Spark so I could practice closer in.

I bought the CrystalSky 7.85 UltraBright as I couldn’t see a thing on the Iphone positioned at my belt buckle.
The CS mounted on a tripod works beautifully! A few hours spent fabricating the mount was well worth the effort.
I’m an Apple guy, I don’t understand the Android. I am working on it!

I’m waiting to receive the Mavic Zoom package that includes the Smart Controller. Should be at the house today and hopefully I will be able to swing by and get it in the next few weeks. I’m an OTR Driver.
Also, I ordered the Racing Goggles.
Can you tell I’m having to Much Fun!

Concerning the SC, my hopes are that this one controller will function with all three birds greatly simplifying spur of the moment flights as I travel on a tight schedule.

As I understand it, the Goggles will integrate with the CS or the SC. My hopes are that I can integrate the Goggles, the Smart Controller AND the CrystalSky. I would also like to incorporate an external, 4K, monitor so folks won’t have to look over my shoulder or block the CS when viewing the flight.
I can now see what the bird see’s.
Way Cool!

I would like to have the navigation map displayed on the SC and the camera view displayed on the CS.
My problem is that I lose the bird when it is right in front of me. I’m flying at low altitudes, usually below 100’, and sometimes have to reference the map to make sure I haven’t strayed.
As I gain experience, I would like to fly farther and higher so I know that the navigation map will be imperative!

It seems to me that in order for this to work, both the SC and the CS will have to be activated as controlling monitor devises.
If I had two CrystaSky’s it seems to me that I should be able to slit the the USB cable from a Standard Controller and make this work. I would be concerned about signal voltage by doing so.

Until I have all of the equipment in one place, I will not be able to venture forward with trial and error to see what may work.
At this point my main concern is that I don’t fry any units due to voltage drops or variances in impedance.

Any thoughts or knowledgeable experience would be greatly helpful!

Pat Hockaday
Trained Ape TruckinView attachment 69146

Just one quick issue: The Smart Controller only works with Mavic 2 devices and none of the older models.

Oh, I'll toss in a second thing: Strobe lights can really help you keep a drone visible. I've only got the Strobon small lights. Helps find the drone when its gray body disappears into the tree line at the end of a soccer field I fly at.

Oh, and enjoy your new hobby.

Reactions: Trained Ape
I've noticed over the last few years at least one thing DJI has taken away from Apple. And that is their packaging, smart designs the holds everything in place with a minimalist look. My new M2P arrived yesterday and the packaging was great

Yep. I like the radio. Especially the boot time. Could the SC be better in places? sure. and I think it will be better after a few upgrades. Trying to be patient

Just one quick issue: The Smart Controller only works with Mavic 2 devices and none of the older models.

Oh, I'll toss in a second thing: Strobe lights can really help you keep a drone visible. I've only got the Strobon small lights. Helps find the drone when its gray body disappears into the tree line at the end of a soccer field I fly at.

Oh, and enjoy your new hobby.

I had hoped it would work with the Spark just to simplify things. No loss as I usually fly the Spark remote control only.
I believe the Spark is compatible with the Goggles. I set up an obstacle course in the front yard to hone my flying skills. This will also be training ground for using the Goggles.

.zY+J%2pcSU2x9ErrmyOjuw.jpg

I have wondered about some type of beacon light. As the front marker lamps black out when recording video, the pro gets lost at night when facing me. The issue would be the ability to toggle the strobe on as needed.

DJI_0102.JPG

I don't think it would be much of an issue during daylight flight. I'll definitely check out the Strobon lights!

I found the Strobon Navigation Strobe (White).
Did you fabricate a containment box that attaches to the Mavic or did you go internal?
Are you using power from the flight batteries?
I wonder if it would be possible to replace the belly landing light with a strobe? I believe this light toggles On/Off.
Thanks for the insight my Friend!

Pat

Reactions: ff22
I don't mean to be a downer, but would you guys mind creating a different thread to discuss strobes?
Sir, I personally prefer to talk on the phone so this typing stuff is a bit foreign. Using this forum is a learn as you go experience.
After a moments research on strobes I Absolutely Agree, Now is not the time to dig into the subject. As expressed, I am more interested in integrating the SC with the CS and any problems I may encounter OR any issues I may need to be aware of.
BTW, I have not involved myself in the Apple/Android debate as that is a mute issue. I will train myself to use whatever is necessary to get the results I desire.
There is a BIG difference between a Trained Ape and a Programed Humanoid!
Respectfully,
Pat Hockaday

So, since this wasnt a poll, but more of a commentary on my part, I think some valid points have been made. A few are happy with the Smart Controller, many arent, and some will actually take delivery and find out for themselves. Im not giving up my nice setup to take a step backward, but thats just me.

Last edited:
I realize different flyers have different experiences, but I'm very happy with my Smart Controller. Size, weight, battery life and ease of set up has been great, my only issue is the date remaining correct after it's powered down. If that is corrected in a firmware update saving the correct date for all your files I'll have no complaints. I was able to sell my original M2Z Controller and all the iPad and iPhone holders on ebay to bring my cost under $400.00, win/win for me.

I realize different flyers have different experiences, but I'm very happy with my Smart Controller. Size, weight, battery life and ease of set up has been great, my only issue is the date remaining correct after it's powered down. If that is corrected in a firmware update saving the correct date for all your files I'll have no complaints. I was able to sell my original M2Z Controller and all the iPad and iPhone holders on ebay to bring my cost under $400.00, win/win for me.

If I ever bought another SC again, which I probably wont, I would never sell my OEM M2 controller. If the SC happens to break, become moody, or simply have a problem that requires sending it to DJI, at least theres a backup that can be bound in less than 1 minute.

Reactions: Thomas B and ff22
The concept of a smart controller for the Mavic 2 was a good one. DJI had already successfully integrated a display into the Phantom 4 pro plus controller which worked very well. It had its limitations but over all I think it was a benefit to have one. As good as it was, I still preferred to use my own device versus the integrated display. Using my own device just offered me more flexibility, was larger and seemed like it booted up faster. I sold the integrated display in favor of a simple GL300F controller and never looked back.

Currently DJI offers the smart controller for the mavic 2 pro and zoom series. It was long awaited and anticipated and when it finally arrived some people were happy with it and others were not so excited. I fell into the latter group.

Without going into too much detail, the things that I liked about it were that it is integrated, you only need to carry one device with you instead of a controller and a phone, it was faster, and the display was quite well lit. Battery life is good and very few glitches (After the initial firmware problems.)

Now for what I didn't like about it. The 1st thing is I never really liked the idea of having to rely on one controller as your display and as a controller. If something happens to either the display or controller, you are down until the integrated unit gets repaired. With a phone, if the phone breaks, you could always use diffetent phone. With the normal controller, if that breaks you could just buy another controller. But with the smart controller you have to send the whole thing in for service.

A big complaint I had was the position of the display. With the phantoms, I always enjoyed the display being right out in front of me. In the Smart Controller, I don't like the display being below the controller, it's not a natural position for me. Even for my Mavic, I have a display extender that brings my phone closer to my eyes. It's also right out in front of me above the controller which is a natural position for me.

The last thing I'm going to say is that I wish they had just made the display size bigger. Everyone is complaining that it should have been at least 7" may be 8". It is being sold with their flagship consumer drone, so I think they should have just put more effort into making it a larger display to begin with. Now, everyone is waiting for the next DJI announcement hoping that this Smart Controller will be offered with a larger display, but I don't have much hope for that quite yet. DJI should have realized that most people use I pads or tablets to fly. No one is going to want to go back to a small display once they have experienced the ease of using a larger display.

Thanks for reading and if you like this post please click like at the bottom.

Best regards,

Rob
I predict DJI will cease production on the original controllers and go the way of the smart controllers for all their drones. We'll see.

Me too. Sold my original for more than what I'd hoped for, making this a net plus purchase compared to a new Mavic 2 with Smart Controller. But the Smart Controller is by far the best arrangement, imho.

I predict DJI will cease production on the original controllers and go the way of the smart controllers for all their drones. We'll see.

That would make alot of Apple, iPad, Android, and other device users very unhappy. Also, that would triple DJI production costs for controllers, and that would necessitate increasing prices for DJI drones across the board. I dont see it happening, or at least not for the next 5 years.

That would make alot of Apple, iPad, Android, and other device users very unhappy. Also, that would triple DJI production costs for controllers, and that would necessitate increasing prices for DJI drones across the board. I dont see it happening, or at least not for the next 5 years.
Reason why I think that's the direction is based upon the past. There was a time one didn't even need a controller, just a smartphone. The current controller/smartphone setup is a stopgap measure that has a lot of flaws with it. Integrating everything into a single unit makes operating much simpler and more fluid without the headaches of futzing with a smartphone. Again, we'll see.

Reason why I think that's the direction is based upon the past. There was a time one didn't even need a controller, just a smartphone. The current controller/smartphone setup is a stopgap measure that has a lot of flaws with it. Integrating everything into a single unit makes operating much simpler and more fluid without the headaches of futzing with a smartphone. Again, we'll see.

Yes, but remember when the SC first came out? Glitches galore. Still incompatible with the majority of DJI drones. Tiny display. Uncomfortable unergonomic display position for an old guy. They have a long way to come before they could ever replace the current crop of controllers, and unseat their own Crystalsky.

The only way they will get the OEM controller and my S9+ away from me it to pry it from my cold, dead hands. It might be that long before they come out with something acceptable anyway.

Yes, but remember when the SC first came out? Glitches galore. Still incompatible with the majority of DJI drones. Tiny display. Uncomfortable unergonomic display position for an old guy. They have a long way to come before they could ever replace the current crop of controllers, and unseat their own Crystalsky.

The only way they will get the OEM controller and my S9+ away from me it to pry it from my cold, dead hands. It might be that long before they come out with something acceptable anyway.
Nope. No glitches. Mine has been perfect from day one. And I understand your love for your setup. But that doesn't translate into marketing decisions for DJI.

Reactions: RogerMav
A big complaint I had was the position of the display. With the phantoms, I always enjoyed the display being right out in front of me. In the Smart Controller, I don't like the display being below the controller, it's not a natural position for me. Even for my Mavic, I have a display extender that brings my phone closer to my eyes. It's also right out in front of me above the controller which is a natural position for me

Have similar issues using iPad Mini 4 with my Spark and Air controllers. The relegated position below the controller doesn't really support ease of use which becomes even more challenging in the open in bright sunlight. One understands the controllers were originally designed for cell phones perhaps but considering the growing trend of tablets as the preferred display device for drones, I hope DJI introduces future controllers that hold display devices on top. Using a tablet holder is an option plenty of pilots prefer but it looks a bit cumbersome to me.

Another issue I've experienced using a tablet is the position of the thumbs that tend to be slightly at an angle on the control sticks. Its caused by the width of the tablet and is not really a big issue but I've definitely noticed a little unintentional roll when I pitch and a little unintentional yaw while ascending or descending. It could really just be me but its something I didn't notice when I used to use my cell phone as the display.

Reactions: Former Member
I have had a phantom 1, 4, Mavic Pro and now the Mavic Pro 2 with Smart Controller and I could not be happier. The convenience is second to none, screen brightness is excellent & this unit has worked without any flaws. Completely changes the flying experience in my opinion and is worth every cent. If ur thinking about getting it do not hesitate, you will not be disappointed, thank you DJI :)

Ergonomic to me is not having to dig your chin into your chest to see the display. Can you crane your neck? lol

I see everything as a hardship, if it makes my enjoyment of something feel like too much work. When I lived in Asia for many years, I, too, adjusted to right side drive cars, by driving into oncoming traffic. When I was "getting used" to driving on the wrong side of the road, no pedestrians were safe on either side of the road. I decided to take alot of taxis and buses. I got used to it, alright.

When youre young and dumb, and I dont know if youre young, you make "yourself" work for things. When you get older and wiser, you find things that work for you. Why should I get "used" to a SMART controller? Its not smart for me and a majority of the people I know. You can tout what you love about it from now until the cows come home, but neither I or any of my fly buddies are getting or keeping one. Also, it doesnt work with the M2ED. Last nail in the coffin of the Smart controller. Now move along sonny. lol

Well, I'm not "dumb" enough to suggest that they could have released an Apple version of this controller. I'm also not arrogant enough to knock something that I've obviously never tried. I literally gave you the benefit of the doubt and broke out my old 3DR Solo controller with an 8" tablet, then the GoPro Karma controller, my Crystalsky 7.85 attached to the Polar Pro Flightdeck and lastly, Smart Controller. Everyone is different but when the adjustment is possible. I tend to put the screen and the controller on the same plane. Of course, with the other controllers, they are on another level but "flat" in relation to each other. Just like the Smart Controller. The only difference is the location of the screen.

I appreciate your opinion and value your input but I'm not sure how someone that doesn't own something can propose that their point of view is more valid than those that do?

Well, I'm not "dumb" enough to suggest that they could have released an Apple version of this controller. I'm also not arrogant enough to knock something that I've obviously never tried. I literally gave you the benefit of the doubt and broke out my old 3DR Solo controller with an 8" tablet, then the GoPro Karma controller, my Crystalsky 7.85 attached to the Polar Pro Flightdeck and lastly, Smart Controller. Everyone is different but when the adjustment is possible. I tend to put the screen and the controller on the same plane. Of course, with the other controllers, they are on another level but "flat" in relation to each other. Just like the Smart Controller. The only difference is the location of the screen.

I appreciate your opinion and value your input but I'm not sure how someone that doesn't own something can propose that their point of view is more valid than those that do?
I have owned one tried it and didn't like it and got rid of it. I will probably end up with a few more from people who are looking to dump them after they are unhappy with them or they fail. I am certain that many will end up on my repair bench.

Have similar issues using iPad Mini 4 with my Spark and Air controllers. The relegated position below the controller doesn't really support ease of use which becomes even more challenging in the open in bright sunlight. One understands the controllers were originally designed for cell phones perhaps but considering the growing trend of tablets as the preferred display device for drones, I hope DJI introduces future controllers that hold display devices on top. Using a tablet holder is an option plenty of pilots prefer but it looks a bit cumbersome to me.

Another issue I've experienced using a tablet is the position of the thumbs that tend to be slightly at an angle on the control sticks. Its caused by the width of the tablet and is not really a big issue but I've definitely noticed a little unintentional roll when I pitch and a little unintentional yaw while ascending or descending. It could really just be me but its something I didn't notice when I used to use my cell phone as the display.
Have you tried a tablet holder? I live by mine. It balances perfectly brings the display closer to my old eyes, and offers me the option of using any device I want whether or not it's in it's case or not. The smart controller is just not the solution for most people right now. Maybe in the future they will come out with a bigger display, above screen position, And other modifications that will make more people happy. The current version just doesn't cut it.

Reactions: Wayno1

You and i have disagreed on just about every single post I have ever made in the past. You usually chime in and tell me that I'm wrong, tell me that your experience has been different, etc yada yada yada

Unfortunately you are one of those people who I just don't believe. Simple as that. Nothing personal, but you sound like A DJI fanboy and that's fine but at least own up to it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sedmonds