DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI smart controller; my opinion

Danger Will Robinson. Can you take a picture of how everything fits into your fly more bag? I have trouble just getting the mavic and controller in there, not to mention a smart controller. That's why most people end up tossing away the fly more bag In favor of a lowe pro or other backpack or bag.

Sometimes I get repairs from people with everything crammed into a fly more bag. When I open up the zipper it's like a Jack in the Box popping out. I'm just curious. No offense intended.

Here's a quick pic. I toss the lanyard across the top and zip it. The drone has one battery in it. I can fit two extra batteries in that front pocket. I fit four Strobon lights in the top flap's pocket and extra props in the mesh side pockets. The Smart Controller even has my new Pgytech screen/stick protector on and it fit.

Then since I hike with water, spare clothes, hat and lunch - I tossed the fly-more bag into my day pack and hiked off to the snowy pond for some flying.

While I can see someone driving to the shore and walking from the parking lot to the beach front might want a smaller drone-daypack, for any longer excursions, I think a real daypack with the standard essentials is necessary.

But, again, opinions on these matters differ.

By the way, until I decided to go snow hiking with the drone I had relegated the fly-more bag to the closet. But when I thought about taking the drone hiking in the snow, I did not want to lug a hard case (too big, too heavy) but I could not toss the drone/stuff into my daypack unprotected. I decided to give the fly-more bag another shot. PERFECT - for me!

IMG_20190410_2129021.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckNorrisUSAF
Are you sure? Any idea how much a Mavic controller weighs with a CS 7.85 attached? Could it be the same as a GL300E with integrated display?
Way too much for the general public to use that combo. It's a niche setup, you'll just see a few pros with it, just like the GL300E. The SC is meant for the general consumer and will sell 10 times more thanks to the choices they made for it.

The SC is great for what DJI intend it for, it just doesn't match what you are after. You and others with the same needs have other solutions that you've all quoted and you can still use.

Reactions: ff22
Way too much for the general public to use that combo. It's a niche setup, you'll just see a few pros with it, just like the GL300E. The SC is meant for the general consumer and will sell 10 times more thanks to the choices they made for it.

Au contrair, mon ami. Every drone technophile and his brother bought the Crystalsky, not just the pros. It was (is) consumer oriented, easy to use, cross-compatible, and relatively reliable. I have to disagree with you about the SC as well. "The choices DJI made for it" (smart controller) completely ignored many of their core customers. To begin with, they made it Android instead of Apple. They only released one version, take it or leave it. They only released one size wich is very small compared to todays plus sized devices, ignoring their senior citizen customers, and made it quite uncomfortable to hold. Finally, they made it only work with the M2, ignoring the scores pf MP, MPP and other DJI product owners. IMHO, they missed the mark.

The SC is great for what DJI intend it for, it just doesn't match what you are after. You and others with the same needs have other solutions that you've all quoted and you can still use.

Seems like it doesnt match what all Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Spark, and Apple users were after as well. DJI shot themselves in the foot, big time.

Last edited:
Here's a quick pic. I toss the lanyard across the top and zip it. The drone has one battery in it. I can fit two extra batteries in that front pocket. I fit four Strobon lights in the top flap's pocket and extra props in the mesh side pockets. The Smart Controller even has my new Pgytech screen/stick protector on and it fit.

Then since I hike with water, spare clothes, hat and lunch - I tossed the fly-more bag into my day pack and hiked off to the snowy pond for some flying.

While I can see someone driving to the shore and walking from the parking lot to the beach front might want a smaller drone-daypack, for any longer excursions, I think a real daypack with the standard essentials is necessary.

But, again, opinions on these matters differ.

By the way, until I decided to go snow hiking with the drone I had relegated the fly-more bag to the closet. But when I thought about taking the drone hiking in the snow, I did not want to lug a hard case (too big, too heavy) but I could not toss the drone/stuff into my daypack unprotected. I decided to give the fly-more bag another shot. PERFECT - for me!

View attachment 69075

Brother, it's time for you to get a Lowepro backpack. Please dont make me see that Flymore bag picture again. It makes me want to cry and cringe at the same time! Look how your front legs hang out over the top of the bag. And even with stick guards, your poor little Smart controller is being squished to death. The horror! ;)

Alright, you're in a mood, obviously. It does work, you just don't like it. I could literally get up and make a video of me packing the SC and drone in the bag but why bother? YouTube already has dozens of them, I'm sure you're aware. I'm also sure that you're aware that the drone doesn't come with the bag, you have to choose to buy it either separately or as part of a separate combo. So the cost of the drone isn't germaine.

Im old, so I have 2 moods; ornery and sleeping.

Oh please dont make me watch your video of you stuffing (cramming) your $1500 drone into an undersized bag. I would have to take an extra nitro pill under the tongue.

Alright, you're in a mood, obviously. It does work, you just don't like it. I could literally get up and make a video of me packing the SC and drone in the bag but why bother? YouTube already has dozens of them, I'm sure you're aware. I'm also sure that you're aware that the drone doesn't come with the bag, you have to choose to buy it either separately or as part of a separate combo. So the cost of the drone isn't germaine.

P.S. I think you spelled German wrong. joking

With the 5.5 Crystalsky and DJI quick mount, it's very ergonomic and very SOLID. That's something that I didn't feel with a lot of above controller mounts. Then there's how quick it connects and how it stores. You also don't have to disassemble the mount to pack it. When I switch from the 5.5 to the 7.85 it is done in seconds. Besides, I don't know about you but I've tipped over many a controller with screen attached because it was top heavy. Especially the 7.85 CS or a 10" tablet. With it mounted on the bottom the entire assembly lays flat. I guess I don't see it as the hardship that you do. When I lived in Europe I somehow managed to "adjust" to right side drive cars and left side drive roads. Some are more adaptive than others, I guess.

Ergonomic to me is not having to dig your chin into your chest to see the display. Can you crane your neck? lol

I see everything as a hardship, if it makes my enjoyment of something feel like too much work. When I lived in Asia for many years, I, too, adjusted to right side drive cars, by driving into oncoming traffic. When I was "getting used" to driving on the wrong side of the road, no pedestrians were safe on either side of the road. I decided to take alot of taxis and buses. I got used to it, alright.

When youre young and dumb, and I dont know if youre young, you make "yourself" work for things. When you get older and wiser, you find things that work for you. Why should I get "used" to a SMART controller? Its not smart for me and a majority of the people I know. You can tout what you love about it from now until the cows come home, but neither I or any of my fly buddies are getting or keeping one. Also, it doesnt work with the M2ED. Last nail in the coffin of the Smart controller. Now move along sonny. lol

Last edited:
IMHO, they missed the mark.
Seems like it doesnt match what all Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Spark, and Apple users were after as well. DJI shot themselves in the foot, big time.
Welp, the thumber of people I see that get the SC combo instead of the normal one since it's available doesn't suggest that.

To begin with, they made it Android instead of Apple.
You know that "making it Apple" is strictly impossible, right?

Brother, it's time for you to get a Lowepro backpack. Please dont make me see that Flymore bag picture again. It makes me want to cry and cringe at the same time! Look how your front legs hang out over the top of the bag. And even with stick guards, your poor little Smart controller is being squished to death. The horror! ;)
I considered the Lowepro but it is not large enough to carry stuff other than the drone. It is not designed for a real hike in wilderness situations. Where would I put my microspikes, my balaclava, my extra mittens, my water carrier, my pile jacket and rain/snow gear? Not to leave out the toilet paper and lunch (g)

I've had Lowe camera cases and they are generally well-made. Yes, the Lowepro would be excellent for the 10 block walk down to Greenlake near my house but since Seattle won't let me fly there, no point. I suspect it would be excellent for any similar civilized jaunt, even for a couple of miles. But not where the ten essentials are concerned. So while my Osprey daypack might be overkill for some purposes, you know, I've had to draw the line at how many different cases, packs and gear I need to support this money-sink hobby! :oops:

But I do appreciate your concern for my drone and you will be the first person I write when I crush it and it is in need to repair.

As for Apple innards - who has Apple partnered with in the past to allow the OS to be used in any other product? Maybe they would have done it if DJI gave them 150% of all sales of an Apple-SC. And seriously how much would a controller that paired with past devices have cost?

But back to the real subject of this thread - the Smart Controller is perfect for *ME* and that is what counts.

Reactions: kyle mavic
Im old, so I have 2 moods; ornery and sleeping.

Oh please dont make me watch your video of you stuffing (cramming) your $1500 drone into an undersized bag. I would have to take an extra nitro pill under the tongue.

I'm sure I'm older and quite possibly more ornery but for some odd reason I can still read without glasses so there's another reason I guess I like the SC. (g)

I've added your work number to my speed dial when in need of repair or a germane chuckle (g)

Reactions: Former Member
I considered the Lowepro but it is not large enough to carry stuff other than the drone. It is not designed for a real hike in wilderness situations.

Unfortunately, neither is the flymore bag. It's just an extra bag to carry, and not ideal for any hike I would ever go on. I would would be too scared of cracking my smart controller screen.

But I do appreciate your concern for my drone and you will be the first person I write when I crush it and it is in need to repair.

I appreciate that, but hopefully it wont come down to that.

As for Apple innards - who has Apple partnered with in the past to allow the OS to be used in any other product? Maybe they would have done it if DJI gave them 150% of all sales of an Apple-SC. And seriously how much would a controller that paired with past devices have cost?

Just look at any DJI drone box. I wonder what it means when DJI uses the licensed Apple trademark and writes "Made for Apple?" Trust me, that aint free. They have to pay a licensing fee to even mention the word Apple.

Mader for iPhone.jpg

In my opinion, DJI should have made an Apple version and an Android version. Why torture the users of IOS by the Smart controller for Android? Made for Apple means just that. The Smart controller is NOT made with Apple users in mind, and DJI has no plan to change that. They missed the boat on that one.

As for Apple innards - who has Apple partnered with in the past to allow the OS to be used in any other product?
Nobody. Apple's stance has always been that their OSs are dedicated to their own products and no one will ever have access to them. That's been holding for decades.

Nobody. Apple's stance has always been that their OSs are dedicated to their own products and no one will ever have access to them. That's been holding for decades.
So I guess the next best thing is coining the phrase " Works with iPhone" Which the mavic line does but the smart controller doesn't. It's a shame that DJI chose Apple when Apple certainly is not choosing DJI.

Apple allows DJI users to license the ProRes software With the purchase of a DJI inspire. I think Apple has had a bad time with Chinese companies making fake copies of their iphones. They have tried to pull all the strings they can with the US and Chinese government to no avail. You can't blame Apple for not wanting to partner with DJI.

Last edited:
Greetings All!

I’m new and I have a bad habit of going Way overboard!
January I started with the Mavic Pro. I then bought the Spark so I could practice closer in.

I bought the CrystalSky 7.85 UltraBright as I couldn’t see a thing on the Iphone positioned at my belt buckle.
The CS mounted on a tripod works beautifully! A few hours spent fabricating the mount was well worth the effort.
I’m an Apple guy, I don’t understand the Android. I am working on it!

I’m waiting to receive the Mavic Zoom package that includes the Smart Controller. Should be at the house today and hopefully I will be able to swing by and get it in the next few weeks. I’m an OTR Driver.
Also, I ordered the Racing Goggles.
Can you tell I’m having to Much Fun!

Concerning the SC, my hopes are that this one controller will function with all three birds greatly simplifying spur of the moment flights as I travel on a tight schedule.

As I understand it, the Goggles will integrate with the CS or the SC. My hopes are that I can integrate the Goggles, the Smart Controller AND the CrystalSky. I would also like to incorporate an external, 4K, monitor so folks won’t have to look over my shoulder or block the CS when viewing the flight.
I can now see what the bird see’s.
Way Cool!

I would like to have the navigation map displayed on the SC and the camera view displayed on the CS.
My problem is that I lose the bird when it is right in front of me. I’m flying at low altitudes, usually below 100’, and sometimes have to reference the map to make sure I haven’t strayed.
As I gain experience, I would like to fly farther and higher so I know that the navigation map will be imperative!

It seems to me that in order for this to work, both the SC and the CS will have to be activated as controlling monitor devises.
If I had two CrystaSky’s it seems to me that I should be able to slit the the USB cable from a Standard Controller and make this work. I would be concerned about signal voltage by doing so.

Until I have all of the equipment in one place, I will not be able to venture forward with trial and error to see what may work.
At this point my main concern is that I don’t fry any units due to voltage drops or variances in impedance.

Any thoughts or knowledgeable experience would be greatly helpful!

Pat Hockaday
Trained Ape Truckin69146

Reactions: windluv
Nope and if Apple made the Smart controller I freaking guarantee it would be way north of $1000 and everyone would be raving about how good it is. Except the android fanboys of course. :p

I've noticed over the last few years at least one thing DJI has taken away from Apple. And that is their packaging, smart designs the holds everything in place with a minimalist look. My new M2P arrived yesterday and the packaging was great

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15