DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller really as bad as its reputation?

Used since day one, almost, been great. Now if only DJI would allow its use with the Mavic Mini 2!

I have the SC and use it with the M2P and the Air2S. I've not had any major issues with the SC and the Air2S. For the most part it works great. I really like the screen on the SC and also the wheels are very good for controlling a smooth zoom when filming video - more so then on the standard controller.

for just a further $200 in cost, that should be a no brainer! As Nike says... JUST DO IT!
My main concern is range. Living in Europe I can only legally use CE-mode (not that I'd be aware of any method to permanently use FCC-mode with the SC anyway, is there?) and apparently the SC even uses less transmitter power than the regular MA2 remote:
SC_Transmission.png
MA2_Controller_Transmission.png
As you can see, the difference in FCC-regions is minimal, but in the CE-region it's 1.5dBm, which is quite a lot less given the logarithmic scale... This is why, ideally, I'd like to have both the MA2 remote and the SC so I have a backup remote with better range in case the SC doesn't cut it. So technically the price difference is not $200, but more like $500 given I can even find the original MA2 controller separately. Is the DJI Mini 2 controller the same as the MA2 controller? If yes, it would probably make the most sense to just buy a DJI Mini 2, take the controller and keep the drone for backup ^^

EDIT

Has anyone of you tried the "DHCompanion Android App" by Drone-Hacks on your SC? Never mind, they specifically exclude the Smart Controller on their website.

Last edited:
I love mine for the brightness factor alone. I’ve had mine for 2 1/2 years and I have flown my M2P with it nearly every week during that. As others have said it is easy and quick to set up and get in the air. There is one HUGE draw back if you are a Part 107 pilot, it does not support LAANC requests (at least I have never been able to find a way to implement it nor have I found anyone who can tell me how). And, DJI refuses to comment on wether or not they plan to implement it. I’ve asked multiple times and never get a response.

Love it for my M2Z. I recently picked up a Mini 2 that doesn't support it... I hate having to use my cell with the controller. There's a ~1 second delay that isn't there with the SC, takes a bit to get used to.

I have been a huge advocate of the SC : Weather Proof for us flying in the rain and easy switching of drones.
We did have to change the Transmission setting from HD to Smooth and Auto to get a extremely better signal

We added the Alien Mini Antenna system that provides a fantastic signal for long distance adventures

However there is some lag in the video feed no stuttering just a 3 second lag. which is annoying
You also have to push the Power Button on the Mavic 2 to make the switch , which is annoying also.
You cannot really Record with the SC as it is underpowered so stay away from that.

I think i you have more than 2 drones this is still a viable option.

But you have a new option and that is the tripple tek monitor which has some merits. Two of our clients in Alaska have been using them and very happy as they are also weather proof and provide some nice benefits that can be used with a camera where as the SC cannot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2 / S in the Rain and Land on the Water.
Is the smart controller actually weather proof or weather sealed in any way?

I’ve had my smart controller for little over 2 years. I absolutely love it. Many of the negative feedback I’ve seen in the groups are from people who don’t own it or people who don’t know how to use it. Typically the range issue is due to putting the antennas past their halfway point. The antennas should be facing down, not straight out like the antennas on the original controller. Again, I’ve had nothing but great experiences with mine and I bought my in the combo pack so I got a price break.

Reactions: gppms
I have not used mine much but I shoot a lot of social media style videos for my job and transferring to a device to post is a hassle. Also, I don't know its the different app the MA2 uses over my MP but I used to use to use quick edit feature a lot and it is no longer an option. I have stopped using the drone for post because of all this hassle. Otherwise it seems great though I am seriously considering buying a stock renore for around $80 and selling the SC. Hooking up a wire and going into airplane mode is a million times easier than transferring files to my phone and trying to post. Also every time I connect my phone it transfers everything not just what I select. I have to go through and delete 3 different versions of the same picture.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
They save to my controller also. The poor quality video was always more than good enough to post off my phone. It all just adds an extra step I'm not used to. I used to fly, capture, quick edit and post within an hour. Now, it's a multi day project.

Hello everyone!
I'm about to buy the DJI Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo with Smart Controller, but after doing some research on this controller I'm a little worried this might not be the best of ideas. After all, apparently there are a lot pain points with the SC such as:

- poor range, especially in CE-regions (where I live)
- unstable video transmission/ stuttering
- vastly underpowered hardware
- infrequent firmware updates
- useless additional buttons (at least in combination with the MA2)

and probably some more that I forgot. The question, therefore, is:

Would you recommend spending about 200 bucks more on the Fly More Combo in order to get the Smart Controller instead of the regular Remote?

Note: I also own a Mavic 2 Pro that I could use the SC with.

Cheers,
Daniel
I found that the smart controller worked perfectly with the Mavic 2 Pro. I then sold the drone and got the mavic Air 2, it worked fairly well but it took a few tries to bind. I then sold the Air 2 and got the Air 2S and since the recent update to the app, I am having all sorts of issues.

Reactions: Greenflash
Well I guess I'm going to be the lone voice of dissension. I can't really comment on any of those issues EXCEPT for the poor signal/range. It DRASTICALLY reduced my range on my MA2, to the point where I'm considering going back. I agree with everything people say about the easy setup, etc, but it has so gimped my MA2 to make it almost pointless to fly. I've even tried the range extenders and could tell no difference.

I have had 2 SC's both worked flawlessly. The range seemed to try bit as good as my regular controllers. I did get a bracket to try my iPad pro on the regular controller for a larger display. Epic fail. The iPad washes out so badly in bright sunlight to render it unusable. Aside from that it is rather ungainly, with cords and such just waiting to get snagged. The SC is compact, so I can toss it and the M2P into a backpack with a spare battery and it is not too heavy nor take to long to set up and get going when I am out in the field. Is it perfect, no, but at the moment, I would say it is the most seamless in operation and use. The display while not huge is larger than any of the plus sized phones, but short of a Mini pad. It is head and shoulder brighter than most of the pads out there.

Get one, if you don't like it sell it. But experiment with a regular controller and the pads to see for yourself before you leap that way, you may see the deficiencies yourself.

What I can tell you even tho others say great I would not spend that money on something that old.it will be replaced sooner then later the RC that comes with the new air units are really good feel good also.
Save the money way to many years working on that unit it’s time is done.

I have had 2 SC's both worked flawlessly. The range seemed to try bit as good as my regular controllers. I did get a bracket to try my iPad pro on the regular controller for a larger display. Epic fail. The iPad washes out so badly in bright sunlight to render it unusable. Aside from that it is rather ungainly, with cords and such just waiting to get snagged. The SC is compact, so I can toss it and the M2P into a backpack with a spare battery and it is not too heavy nor take to long to set up and get going when I am out in the field. Is it perfect, no, but at the moment, I would say it is the most seamless in operation and use. The display while not huge is larger than any of the plus sized phones, but short of a Mini pad. It is head and shoulder brighter than most of the pads out there.

Get one, if you don't like it sell it. But experiment with a regular controller and the pads to see for yourself before you leap that way, you may see the deficiencies yourself.
Go and take a look at the 7 inch Feel World 2,200nits of brightness. I use that with my SC and it connects HDMI to HDMI, I choose to make the FeelWorld monitor show what My camera is seeing and the rest for flight etc. is on my SC screen. I think they run about $235 at B&H but I got mine as an open box on ebay for $177.

Reactions: Drumsagard
I recently switched from a Phantom 4 Pro+ (the one with a screen on the controller) to the Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller. I'm very fond of it, it works great even in sunny weather (although it still is best to stand in the shade while viewing your screen).
The setup without my mobile phone or iPad works great! It's easy, fast and reliable. Battery is perfect, I have 3 batteries for my Mavic 2 Pro. When I use them all, the Smart controller still has about 60% battery percentage to go. So also for long time flying it's great to use.
Only the price.. it's high, but if the controller would fail I immediately would buy a new one.

And ofcourse! It support more types of DJI Drones, so if you own 2 or more you only have to take one controller with you!

Buy it and you won't regret it!

Reactions: gppms
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook