DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller Shade ?

eEridani

Reactions
Anyone find a product, or figure out a way to shield the Smart Controller from direct sun? My controller is almost unreadable in direct sun light, especially when I'm wearing sun glasses (yeah, full sun is like that).

I've tried all the enhanced settings, none make any difference. I really need a way to get the sun off the glass.

An alternative would be 3D glasses, like the FPV type, but that is inconvenient too when you are trying to visually track the drone as well as watch the video it is sending.

Hoping this hasn't been a beat to death subject, but a few searches didn't turn up anything useful.

Reactions: Jriley
Anyone find a product, or figure out a way to shield the Smart Controller from direct sun? My controller is almost unreadable in direct sun light, especially when I'm wearing sun glasses (yeah, full sun is like that).

I've tried all the enhanced settings, none make any difference. I really need a way to get the sun off the glass.

An alternative would be 3D glasses, like the FPV type, but that is inconvenient too when you are trying to visually track the drone as well as watch the video it is sending.

Hoping this hasn't been a beat to death subject, but a few searches didn't turn up anything useful.
You mean something like this?

Haven't got one myself, but it looks like it would do what you want.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You mean something like this?

Haven't got one myself, but it looks like it would do what you want.
You mentioned:
"tried all the enhanced settings, none make any difference."

Does this include pulling down from the top of the screen to reveal the Android menu where you can move the screen brightness slider all the way to the right (brightest)? Had to ask as once I did this, the SC has never needed a sunshade.

Reactions: maggior
Agree with Marty. I fly in Florida and in the middle of lakes in full sun. Another pilot who was flying with me and using my smart controller even said how nice and perfectly bright the controller is. BTW, we don't wear sunglasses when we fly viewing the smart controller or any controller for that matter. Check the brightness settings. Without sunglasses is should be just right. Also, I don't feel a need for a sun shade. On larger shoots we will work under a flag on a c-stand or something but we are flying weekly in direct sunlight on the water without problems. Hope that helps.

Reactions: RobW01
Wow - posted a reply and it didn't take. So here goes...

@Marty, @reidowitz, thanks for the replies. I've max'd the brightness levels everywhere - including the base Android slider with Autobright OFF, and am using the 'Overall Enhanced' SRE setting.

Sunglasses just help with seeing things far away - so I consider them a necessity - not to mention they are corrective lenses. Maybe I need to order a pair with a clear bifocalish zone, lmao.

@Robert, yeah, I've done the Amazon search, but found nothing that is just a good shade. That rubber case is close, but it also makes using all the buttons a pain because they get recessed and harder to find and press, and reviews say it blocks the touchscreen in corners and edges. There's another shade on Amazon that looks close, too, but has carve outs for the thumbs that looks like they will interfere with viewing the screen. I probably need to scan the controller and make my own shade that bolts onto the two strap screws.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jriley
I have one of the above mentioned rubber shades, it's OK, better than nothing, but not GREAT.
There was a post on here a couple of days ago, a guy giving it away as he had two and forgot to give it to whoever bought his SC.

I have one of the above mentioned rubber shades, it's OK, better than nothing, but not GREAT.
There was a post on here a couple of days ago, a guy giving it away as he had two and forgot to give it to whoever bought his SC.
I have that rubber cover and while the corner presses take a deft digit press, it works fine for me. It shades the screen well and the rugged rubber is a great protector.

Also, I typically choose my flying with the sun at my back but when not practical I have progressive glasses with a flip sunglasses clip on.

Wow - posted a reply and it didn't take. So here goes...

@Marty, @reidowitz, thanks for the replies. I've max'd the brightness levels everywhere - including the base Android slider with Autobright OFF, and am using the 'Overall Enhanced' SRE setting.

Sunglasses just help with seeing things far away - so I consider them a necessity - not to mention they are corrective lenses. Maybe I need to order a pair with a clear bifocalish zone, lmao.

@Robert, yeah, I've done the Amazon search, but found nothing that is just a good shade. That rubber case is close, but it also makes using all the buttons a pain because they get recessed and harder to find and press, and reviews say it blocks the touchscreen in corners and edges. There's another shade on Amazon that looks close, too, but has carve outs for the thumbs that looks like they will interfere with viewing the screen. I probably need to scan the controller and make my own shade that bolts onto the two strap screws.

Thanks everyone.
Sunglasses cut down brightness significantly. That is going to be the issue with a sun shade as well. I use multi-focal contact lenses prescribed by opthamologist. I can see every hair on my hand and the Mavic 2 Pro at 300'.

Reactions: eEridani
Sunglasses cut down brightness significantly. That is going to be the issue with a sun shade as well. I use multi-focal contact lenses prescribed by opthamologist. I can see every hair on my hand and the Mavic 2 Pro at 300'.
lol - Well, early on I learned that poking things into my eye hurts and even the thought of a 'contact' lens makes me shudder. I've watched the spousal unit inserting lenses, and have to say, more than 20 years on it still makes me wince every time.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I have the smart controller and the only issue I've run into is the screen smudges very easily which causes all sorts of problems in bright sun. So what I do now is I use a stylus designed for use with tablet touchscreens...it has a rubber tip. I make sure my screen is totally clean before I head out and only use the stylus.

You may also try a matte screen protector. I have read where that has helped people.

Agree with Marty. I fly in Florida and in the middle of lakes in full sun. Another pilot who was flying with me and using my smart controller even said how nice and perfectly bright the controller is. BTW, we don't wear sunglasses when we fly viewing the smart controller or any controller for that matter. Check the brightness settings. Without sunglasses is should be just right. Also, I don't feel a need for a sun shade. On larger shoots we will work under a flag on a c-stand or something but we are flying weekly in direct sunlight on the water without problems. Hope that helps.
Maybe it’s the sunglasses? For example, polarised lenses don’t work well with phone or tablet screens (one reason why airline pilots don’t wear them). I have a pair of lightly red tinted sunnies that work perfectly. The red enhances depth perception as well.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980