DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Smart Controller with the new Mavic Mini 2 with OcuSync 2.0 ?

Will the Dji Smart Controller work with the new Mavic Mini 2 with OcuSync 2.0 ?
Right after my DJI Smart Controller (Black thing with a bright screen built-in), upgraded itself to be compatible with Mavic Air 2, it stopped responding when i plug it into PC running DJI Assistant 2. Often the USB animation would work, but nothing. I watched the connection happen on Device Manager (Windows 10).. also nothing. Is this a thing for you guys too? I hope the thing knows how to update itself by Wi-Fi once the Mini 2 firmware is released!

I believe this is rubbish. The only missing link is the RC component of the SC. It uses Occusync 2 so radio data protocol isn't the issue, and they did get it to work with the MA2.
They also got the MA2 RC to work with the MM2, so it seems it's just a matter of the RC component firmware on the SC to understand the MM2 specifics.

Reactions: gppms
This is really bad news ?

I bought this „universal“ „Smart“ Controller and it’s not really universal and not that smart even when speaking the same transmission language.

I don’t understand the politics from DJI. This would have generated some additional upsell for them.

I just don’t like using the Smartphone in bright sunlight and having to take several controllers and charge them etc. for my DJI drones.

It just doesn’t make sense.

Cheers,
Alexander
(Munich/Germany)

Reactions: gppms and Dronason
I got this from Dji in response to the question will the Mini 2 and the Smart Controller work together
Since you've got them, can you ask them why since the mini2 is using ocusync 2.0 like the others and "that's why you bought it"? And since the mini2 uses the air2's remote and the air2 works with the SC, how can it not be not compatible with the mini2?
Also ask about support on the DJI Goggles if you could... Since they market everything to run "Ocusync 2.0" there's no reason for a user to expect any ncompatibility...

I have received the Mini 2. I tried linking it to the Smart Controller. It would not link. This is after updating both the Smart Controller firmware and the DJI Fly App with updates that happened yesterday.

Here's what happens:
• Open the DJI Fly App on the Smart Controller, you are given a choice between the Mavic Air 2 and the Mini 2
• Select Mini 2, it gives you the normal instructions about how to link by pressing the button on the Mini 2 for 5 seconds
• The Mini 2 beeps, indicating it is in linking mode
• The Smart Controller beeps (effing incessantly) for 60 seconds while it looks for the Mini 2
• It never finds it

I suspect this would work if you were trying to use a different controller, the same type that comes with the Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2.

Just like the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom, we had to wait a number of weeks after the release of the aircraft before an update was provided to the CrystalSky, which is basically what the Smart Controller is. Since the DJI Fly app is already updated, maybe all that needs to be released is another firmware update to the Smart Controller that 'flips' the switch and allows the controller or app to see the Mini 2 that is trying to link.

There are plenty of people who wonder why you would be purchasing an $800 remote for a $400 drone. The rationale is that some people already have the Smart Controller that works with many other aircraft models, or they want a system that does not rely on having to use a removable mobile device. I can tell you that the construction of the Mini 2 is better than the original and can definitely see the Mini 2 being used commercially as a very inexpensive way to get a camera in the air.
was the mm2updated?

One controller to rule them all. Makes it easier traveling with multiple drones.
My Mini 2 arrives today, I haven't had a drone before, using a phone and the app seems clunky, I like the idea of 1 controller with the everything built in, but budget will control when I can do the DJI Smart Controller, I enjoy this forum and learn something new every day.

And it never will work with the SC.... look at de spec of the MM2 only the video transmission system is OcuSync 2.0, look at the specs MA2, video transmission system AND remote control transmission OcuSync 2.0........so that's diverend hardware

And it never will work with the SC.... look at de spec of the MM2 only the video transmission system is OcuSync 2.0, look at the specs MA2, video transmission system AND remote control transmission OcuSync 2.0........so that's diverend hardware
The remote is the same for the MA2 and MM2 so they must be compatible.

Reactions: gppms
I'm just reading the specs
I think you're misreading the specs. DJI changed the format of their specs pages between the MA2 and the DM2. MA2 has separate "Video Transmission" and "Remote Controller" sections while the DM2 has a combined "Remote Controller & Video Transmission" section.

I think you're misreading the specs. DJI changed the format of their specs pages between the MA2 and the DM2. MA2 has separate "Video Transmission" and "Remote Controller" sections while the DM2 has a combined "Remote Controller & Video Transmission" section.
Time will tellScreenshot_20210109-213522_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not if post #22 has any merit, DJI says it can't be done (Very high probability), there is no since in waiting for something they already said is not in the works? When DJI released the Mavic Air 2, they actually mentioned the Smart Controller was coming...and no such was given with the Mini 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000