DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

My big concern with the update coming this week is that the NFZ zones in their current database are BS. For instance where I live there is no airport within 5 miles and B4UFLY gives me green light. There is however a helipad of a hospital less than 5 miles away, which DJI's app notes when I try to take off, but apparently this doesn't make it a no fly zone to the FAA. I worry that the update will effectively brick my drone in my home town.

Reactions: Bladzalot
Conspiracy theory X:

China and USA are pushing, shoving and flexing muscle over the South China Sea and all the man made islands China has built and militarized. Some sources indicate war could be around the corner and if by some chance China and the USA start throwing bullets and bombs at each other then DJI will most likely be forced to hit the kill switch by the Chinese govt.
"We make Imperialist Yankee Americans pay, turn off all their expensive toys!"(Spoken with a strong Chinese accent)
And this next update will make it all possible!

Whadayarekon?

You're talking about going to war and your concern is whether you can fly your drone? UNBELIEVABLE!

OK, So I admit I don't want to read 15 pages of this thread to see if these questions have been asked, so I'm going to ask them anyway.

1) As of right now, I can turn off the Geo setting in the Go4 app which will allow me to take off and fly in any NFZ zone except for RED. Will that still be the case with this new update, or are they taking away that ability from the user?

2) Is it possible that DJI started the planning and execution of this process months ago, and now that the FAA is clearly going to either abandon their drone regulations or at least loosen them a bit, maybe DJI will have to rethink this entire new process and possibly just go back to the way it was?

Reactions: Blades
My big concern with the update coming this week is that the NFZ zones in their current database are BS. For instance where I live there is no airport within 5 miles and B4UFLY gives me green light. There is however a helipad of a hospital less than 5 miles away, which DJI's app notes when I try to take off, but apparently this doesn't make it a no fly zone to the FAA. I worry that the update will effectively brick my drone in my home town.
I live Charlotte, NC and there are multiple helipads all around my area. If they were to block out those then I'd basically have to travel out into the country to fly.

I'd be SHOCKED if they do this. Those notifications are, in my mind at least, there to simply let you know you are flying within range of a heli pad and to be careful. I think I've seen one helicopter flying under 400 feet near my home. It rarely happens.

Wow! Well worth the $200 to fly the way it was built to do. If my neighbor flies his drone into my other neighbors car why should I be responsible or penalized! Go after him he's the one that did it not everybody else in the neighborhood that never crashed their drone into anything. Thank you Robbyg

Reactions: Bladzalot
I see the thread about it on DJI forum has vanished, not sure if hidden for major negative post deletion or something is afoot.

Still there, second hot post down on right side of Community home page.

I wonder who will be making all the software, receivers / monitors being that the Ocusync transmission signal system is DJI's
Then be allowed to sell them to Law enforcement ?
What a tangled web we weave lolllllll

Last edited:
I wonder who will be making all the software, receivers / monitors being that the Ocusync transmission signal system is DJI's
Then be allowed to sell them to Law enforcement ?
What a tangled web we weave lolllllll
In the future, I wonder if we have to upgrade FW / software for the Mavic system (DJI systems) will the Law Enforcement Receivers have to take the updates too ?

My big concern with the update coming this week is that the NFZ zones in their current database are BS.....
Good Point. Have been trying to understand what all the NFZ fuss is about. Intuitively I thought no one should be flying in a NFZ, so it is just people griping about loss of freedom. I was wrong. I now see the real issue is the Broad brush implementation of these NFZs (the database) and not so much the system that DJI are using to keep clear of them.

DJI better have someone at the top address this soon. It's not enough to have Techs that have lied to us in the past to be the one's making promises on DJI's forum..
What is it you want them to Address? Are you simply seeking a clarification of what the impending registration changes will mean? Wont this become self evident once the changes have been implemented. Either the sky will fall in or it wont!
Stories like this will curtail a lot of future sales....
Depending on ones point of view it may be a good thing to moderate the number of drones out there.
BTW I have calculated DJI are making around 1.5 million Mavics a year!

What is it you want them to Address? Are you simply seeking a clarification of what the impending registration changes will mean? Wont this become self evident once the changes have been implemented. Either the sky will fall in or it wont!

Depending on ones point of view it may be a good thing to moderate the number of drones out there.
BTW I have calculated DJI are making around 1.5 million Mavics a year!

1.5 million times $1000 is 1.5 billion profit a year!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez