DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

But if you dont update you never have to login thats how i understand it

I thought I was tossing in my 2 cents in the Mavic forum. Let me double check. Yup, it doesn't say snowflake forum. But you're right it was unnecessarily snide. I've never encountered a bad update not even one that hung up while updating, so I don't understand this obsession with .400.
Nothing about snowflakes... just civil behavior between adults.

Didn't seem that anyone did anything to you, yet you felt it necessary to come on the forum, and contribute absolutely nothing useful or meaningful to the thread other than insult fellow members.

That's all. And it leaves an impression. Probably one you don't give a **** about. Your loss.

Reactions: Finseeker
Not for every flight. Only after each update.

DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

VERIFYING YOUR ACCOUNT
Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone.

When your aerial system approaches, or is already within, an Authorization Zone, you will be prompted with a warning and the opportunity to unlock the Zone.

Just glanced through DJI terms and conditions, I'm no solicitor/attorney but read this.

933f071adf1f30c182bf7aa834219f81.jpg

Make of it what you will, not long to see if its as bad as the 400+ replies assumes.

VERIFYING YOUR ACCOUNT
Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone.

When your aerial system approaches, or is already within, an Authorization Zone, you will be prompted with a warning and the opportunity to unlock the Zone.
When we say "authorization zones" we are talking about the stupid yellow circles, not the ultra stupid red circles, right?

Just glanced through DJI terms and conditions, I'm no solicitor/attorney but read this.

933f071adf1f30c182bf7aa834219f81.jpg

Make of it what you will, not long to see if its as bad as the 400+ replies assumes.
I've never read any TOS that didn't act like they were out to get you. Seriously.

Reactions: Blades
When we say "authorization zones" we are talking about the stupid yellow circles, not the ultra stupid red circles, right?

HOW GEO WORKS

Geospatial information in GEO is categorized in one of three ways:

1. icon-green-3238d8115972a0613dcc9aef50f8f915.png

Warning Zone. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message that may be relevant to their flight.
    Example Warning Zone: A protected wildlife area.

2. icon-green-3238d8115972a0613dcc9aef50f8f915.png

Enhanced Warning Zone. In these Zones, you will be prompted by GEO at the time of flight to unlock the zone using the same steps as in an Authorization Zone, but you do not require a verified account or an internet connection at the time of your flight.
    Example Enhanced Warning Zone: A farm which is 3 miles away from a busy international airport.

3. icon-yellow-0734d70f5acffa569ee0b3218572aa4e.png

Authorization Zone. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.
    Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.

4. icon-red-825751458c9a1d1d86ad32382176de5d.png

Restricted Zone. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI GO app, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented. If you believe you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact [email protected]
    Example Restricted Zone: Washington D.C.
The GEO system is advisory only. Sometimes the Zones in GEO do not necessarily match the parameters or shape of official geospatial features due to an abundance of caution or technical reasons. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to their flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bladzalot
I have never had a single issue with an update (technically) but have issues with the geofencing that they are making more and more ridiculous every update... I skipped .500 when going to .600 because of the issues it had with Litchi, but .600 has yellow NFZs around the red NFZs and more NFZs in general. This is my reason for staying on .400... More places that you can fly, even though they still have ******** NFZs that should not exist (heliports on hospitals, small decomissioned airstrips, etc).

If DJI had the NFZ functionality in there to cover their *****, then they would have NFZ show up on your controller, make you hit a liability acceptance prompt, and then fly away. DJI is doing the NFZ to cover their own *****, which in turn screws their user base. It is one thing to say what you should avoid, it is another thing to enforce what you should avoid.

Tuesday I was flying in a yellow area around a NFZ which was a dam so "critical infrastructure" area. When I powered up it notified me that I was near a NFZ and asked me if I was authorized to fly there. Since my plan was to go the opposite direction of the dam I selected that I was and that was it. No big deal.

Tuesday I was flying in a yellow area around a NFZ which was a dam so "critical infrastructure" area. When I powered up it notified me that I was near a NFZ and asked me if I was authorized to fly there. Since my plan was to go the opposite direction of the dam I selected that I was and that was it. No big deal.

Uh... I am in the US, and for me, the yellow circles make me fill out the waiver, get an exception that lasts for three days, and then I am allowed to fly in that zone. The process is a little broken because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I have never had a time where I could approach a yellow circle, fill out an exception, apply the exception, and fly... There has always been a waiting process for my app to actually see the exception...

Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to their flight.
...And that should be enough for anyone with enough common sense. Not so rarely, I'm also sitting on a plane flying somewhere and I don't want any brainless creature with Mavic or any other RC vessel trying to get close-ups of 1:1 plane.
For that reason, respecting others rights to think in a similar way, I would never fly in restricted zone. This is just fancy electronics and as such, it has glitches (multiplied by results of kind software developers' work).
I need no additional governance from company that took my money for a drone - especially, since they admit themselves that "Sometimes the Zones in GEO do not necessarily match the parameters or shape of official geospatial features" - what use then of such approximate restricting automation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh... I am in the US, and for me, the yellow circles make me fill out the waiver, get an exception that lasts for three days, and then I am allowed to fly in that zone. The process is a little broken because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I have never had a time where I could approach a yellow circle, fill out an exception, apply the exception, and fly... There has always been a waiting process for my app to actually see the exception...

I am in the U.S. as well. This was in Eastern Washington near the Columbia River.

...And that should be enough for anyone with enough common sense. Not so rarely, I'm also sitting on a plane flying somewhere and I don't want any brainless creature with Mavic or any other RC vessel trying to get close-ups of 1:1 plane.
For that reason, respecting others rights to think in a similar way, I would never fly in restricted zone. This is just fancy electronics and as such, it has glitches (multiplied by results of kind software developers' work).
I need no additional governance from company that took my money for a drone - especially, since they admit themselves that "Sometimes the Zones in GEO do not necessarily match the parameters or shape of official geospatial features" - what use then of such approximate restricting automation?
I agree with everything you've said except the last part about not needing governance from DJI.

If they do not attempt some basic form of self governance then the government will step in. That will NOT end well.

So I'm glad that DJI is at least attempting some form of basic governance. I agree that it could be improved to better handle exceptions (and there are some well documented exceptions where the software is prohibiting people from flying even though they have done everything right to obtain proper permission) but the answer is not for DJI to simply throw up their hands and walk away from the complications.

Reactions: krakow_marcin
People here are spending alot of energy bickering over speculation and nonsense. Imagine what will happen if some of the conspiracy theories turn out to be true :eek:

I agree. Many people are worried about what MAY happen, it makes no sense to these hundreds of emails about future software that has been published, or the fact that many are concerned about how many dollars are made by DJI. People seem to forget, that, we were all aware that DJI is a company based in China and that purchasing from
DJI, are, and always have been supporting the Chinese economy. I don't understand why anyone is complaining about their income, or intellectual software agreements; anyone who purchased from them; their agreed to their policies, which are no different than tech/software/drone sales in the US. One poster, even mentioned that if China and the US were to go to war, he was concerned about not being able to fly his drone - RIDICULOUS.

Remember, we all supported DJI, a Chinese company, and no one
forced us to purchase their products.

Reactions: LongRifle
Nothing about snowflakes... just civil behavior between adults.

Didn't seem that anyone did anything to you, yet you felt it necessary to come on the forum, and contribute absolutely nothing useful or meaningful to the thread other than insult fellow members.

That's all. And it leaves an impression. Probably one you don't give a **** about. Your loss.

Wow, the butt-hurt is strong with this one. If my comment somehow insults you I pity the ones who have to feel like they're walking on egg shells around you in real life.

I sympathize with those that have had problems updating beyond .400, but my comment was more directed at those not wanting DJI to brick their drones with the upcoming FW updates. You're just delaying the inevitable. But I don't see a reason to be overly concerned. DJI isn't going to do anything that would negatively impact their business, especially something as Draconian as rendering our drones useless. DJI could've done a better job articulating their recent press release so as not to cause this hysteria.

I agree with the comment about their press release and the hysteria it is causing. But when you think about it, DJI is terrible when it comes to customer relations. Their employees that answer calls in the California DJI center speak very broken English and are hard to communicate with.
Also, they lie a lot about status of repairs, shipping and such. I personally know 6 people that have dealings with DJI and they all experienced the same same things. That has been my experience with them.
I love DJI products, but If they are that inept about customer relations, I do not trust them for future decisions or changes that impact our hobby. I think DJI needs to make major changes in the customer relation department and make customers priority, and listen to what we want as far as FW and SW instead of just dropping the bomb on us without even getting our opinions as to upcoming changes. It makes DJI sound like a company that isn't in it for th long run, just make a pile of money while they can, then disappear like so many companies have done recently

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos