DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI unlock fails - if not for wind, my bird in drink

phantompilot

Reactions
Hi all. I am attaching a few pics asking for some insight. I have unlock authorizations for this site, it is near a small airport, I am working for the town, have flown for the town for years no problem. now there are problems. DJI Flysafe has been super responsive about my unlocks, but this flight I lost control WITHIN MY UNLCOCK ZONE.

a story, in pictures. thanks everyone. full throttle, zero speed, no control, 20MPH winds got me to shore to land

fail1.JPGfail3.JPGwarning.JPGCapture.JPGfail4.JPG

joystickfull.JPG

To summarize, had authorization for RED, took off IN RED...flew THROUGH RED, got to BLUE....and poof, throttle dead, all sorts of altitude, authorization, and restricted warnings. i drift to shore thanks to heavy wind before my battery dies and I drop into the ocean

yay

Unfortunately your "story in pictures" will not lead to anything else than speculations ... instead go & upload the mobile device .TXT log here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help & come back and share the link they provide. Or you can attach the .TXT log directly here.

Reactions: dirkclod
and poof, throttle dead, all sorts of altitude, authorization, and restricted warnings.
DJI has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to do that!

It's not their right or responsibility to render someone's drone inoperable under any circumstances.

@phantompilot , please do post your logs so slup can analyze... he's good. And this ought to be interesting.

What puzzles me is how the wind blew it back to shore? I suppose the logs will tell.

What puzzles me is how the wind blew it back to shore? I suppose the logs will tell.
the software bizarrely kills throttle when you accidentally enter a restricted zone and you don't "exit immediately" like the warning tells you...but I guess it is also not programmed to fight to hold that position against strong winds, like i said, 20+ mph winds...imagine if they were blowing east, not west....

To summarize, had authorization for RED, took off IN RED...flew THROUGH RED, got to BLUE....and poof, throttle dead, all sorts of altitude, authorization, and restricted warnings. i drift to shore thanks to heavy wind before my battery dies and I drop into the ocean

yay
This is why I performed a geozone removal operation. I'm afraid to get stuck in a blue zone. Don't ask about the corrective measures I took. Teaching others the "how to", in the open forums is against forum policy.

Your lucky. I am really suprised your drone drifted to safety.

the software bizarrely kills throttle when you accidentally enter a restricted zone and you don't "exit immediately" like the warning tells you...but I guess it is also not programmed to fight to hold that position against strong winds, like i said, 20+ mph winds...imagine if they were blowing east, not west....
You are completely mistaken and your idea of what happened is incorrect (completely).
You were disoriented and confused and misinterpreted what was happening.

If the software "killed your throttle (you mean elevator), you're drone wouldn't have come back ... but somehow it did.
There's no indication in your data to suggest that DJI's programming somehow mysteriously immobilised your drone.
There was a strong wind.
When hovering, the drone maintained position against the wind but had to roll approx 20 degrees to to do it.
When you gave joystick input, the drone was able to fly, but the speed was reduced a little because of the effect of the wind.

If you are going to fly that distance over water, you need to have much better situational awareness.
You need to know how strong the wind is, what direction it's blowing the wind and what that will do to your flight.
You also have to know where the drone is and what it's doing at all times.

DJI has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to do that!
It's not their right or responsibility to render someone's drone inoperable under any circumstances.
DJI didn't ... it's just a case of operator confusion.
Here's what the flight data looks like:

Thank you for your analysis, and for correcting my erroneous 'assumption'. Maybe someday I'll learn to keep my mouth shut until after the logs are analyzed!

But I'm still not comfortable with DJI-imposed NFZs... they have a heliport listed half a mile from a good friend's house - and he lives in the proverbial middle of nowhere with nothing but thousands of acres of woods and fields close to this house. The actual heliport listed is in Atlanta 3 hours north of here. It's only a warning zone, for now, so all I have to do is check mark the 'I take responsibility' box. Sometimes when I take off from my backyard I get a 'close proximity to airport' warning, sometimes not.... seems completely arbitrary to me. The uncontrolled airport in question is 6 miles south of me.

Meta you used to be a good guy back in the day when I flew phantoms and you had good advice over on that forum. not sure if peoples still listen to you here but they shouldn't

how on earth have you looked at the data you just posted about my flight and not seen the joystick full forward and the speed of the aircraft at zero?

how on earth do you think the craft got back to land if I had no throttle authority?

that far out at sea, do you even know how far I was "out?"

thanks guy, good luck. .if you are going to debunk me, use facts not theory

not sure if peoples still listen to you here but they shouldn't
That's another thing you have wrong.
how on earth have you looked at the data you just posted about my flight and not seen the joystick full forward and the speed of the aircraft at zero?
Do you really think I didn't look closely at the data ??

You should look a little closer at the data.
At 5:47.3 you pushed the right stick full forward until 5:56.8 and the drone accelerated to 32.8 mph.
Then you went hands off, the drone slowed to approx zero and hovered until 6:01.8 when you pushed the right stick forward again.

The numbers you are confused by here are showing the drone a fraction of a second after you pushed the right stick forward after hovering.
If you follow down the page you'd see the drone picks up speed and reaches 10.8 mph about 15 seconds later.
how on earth do you think the craft got back to land if I had no throttle authority?
Why do you think you had no control?
There's nowhere in the data that shows your drone being blown home.
Everywhere that it's making progress, there is a corresponding joystick input.

You had full control but possibly dealing with the wind confused you.
You pushed the stick, the drone moves forward.
Look at the speeds the drone was making and look at the corresponding joystick input.
Why do you think you had no "throttle authority"
btw ... the throttle is what makes the drone climb, not go faster.
Of course I do ... why would you imagine I wouldn'T?
if you are going to debunk me, use facts not theory
There's no theory involved.
Just matching the data to the drone's performance and it shows a disoriented flyer, believing things that aren't backed up by data.

Last edited:
Don't be confused by half a second's data.
Look before and after to see what's happening.
The data you show is for just half a second when you are trying to accelerate from zero against a headwind.
What was the drone doing a few seconds before?
What speed was it making 5 seconds later, and another 5 seconds after that?
full gas zero speed software error
Full gas operator confusion

Last edited:
Reactions: GFields
Something odd here. The log you posted doesn't appear to match your screen shot. Sticks positions differ.
That's just a glitch in the stick position display.
The actual data shows properly.
Here the box is over the time period in question.
Pale blue is speed, Yellow shows the right stick pushed full forward and Green shows sticks centred.
When all 4 columns are green the drone is hovering.
data-2.jpg

Meta you used to be a good guy back in the day when I flew phantoms and you had good advice over on that forum. not sure if peoples still listen to you here but they shouldn't

thanks guy, good luck. .if you are going to debunk me, use facts not theory
I'm gonna go out on on limb here and predict you will lose the debate with Meta4.Vegas has you at 1000-1 to lose.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman