DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI would like you to “See The Bigger Picture” on July 18th – announcement?

Why would there be ? We've had 1 catalogue leak and 1 website leak.

Nothing else and no announcements.

No more news?

There really isn't anything left to leak except the announcement date and a few minor details in the specs - we already know pretty much all the details people care about (sensor size, flight time, style of drone, variants, etc.) and it's easy to make an educated guess on the rest, like price, obstacle avoidance, flight modes, etc. DJI themselves have already officially confirmed the leak and basically said "yeah, that's whats coming".

I really do wish they just made it a big Mavic Air, the design looks old already (to me) but I'm sure it'll be a phenomenal drone.

So now we wait...hopefully not too much longer ;) If it truly has been in mass production since February as rumored, it's hard to believe the delay is being caused by production constraints and not some other issue but that is pure speculation and we will probably never know.

There really isn't anything left to leak except the announcement date and a few minor details in the specs.

You mean ALL of the specs surely.
There is no information what-so-ever about the actual technical aspects of the camera, the exact obstacle avoidance makeup, any potentially new intelligent modes or anything else.
All that's leaked are the models. Nothing else.

You mean ALL of the specs surely.
There is no information what-so-ever about the actual technical aspects of the camera, the exact obstacle avoidance makeup, any potentially new intelligent modes or anything else.
All that's leaked are the models. Nothing else.

No, I don't mean ALL the specs - DJI themselves have confirmed many major points so already that statement is not true.

We know for sure:

Sensor size (probably the single largest point of interest for most people, at least based on everything I have seen so far)
Camera specification (the 1" model will be between 24 and 28mm and almost certainly F2.8 if you look at the housing - if you know the sensor size, an optical formula has minimum requirements for front element size)
The drone size
The drone style (I.e. similar to the original MP)
Battery Life
Maximum speed
Flight autonomy/Active Track 2.0
Range (8KM)
Omnidirectional obstacle avoidance
APAS
1080P Occusync

We can assume with a reasonable degree of certainty:

At a minimum the same flight modes and general features as the Mavic Air
Price premium similar to moving to a 1" sensor in the Phantom line
4K60Fps w/100Mbps minimum

That is a heck of a lot, and the points confirmed by DJI themselves cover most major buying points people look at. I think it's fair to say that someone interested in the drone wouldn't likely have many deal-breakers outside of that. Certainly there are other more minor details we don't know, which I acknowledged previously.

I don't know how you can look at the list of things DJI has themselves confirmed and say that *ALL* the specs still have to leak other than the models. Maybe you didn't see all of the leaked materials?

Can't we all just be excited about the new drone? :D

No, I don't mean ALL the specs - DJI themselves have confirmed many major points so already that statement is not true.

We know for sure:

Sensor size (probably the single largest point of interest for most people, at least based on everything I have seen so far). We know the size. We dont know the technology the manufacturer, the dynamic range, the noise levels or anything else. Size is meaningless on its own.

Camera specification (the 1" model will be between 24 and 28mm and almost certainly F2.8 if you look at the housing - if you know the sensor size, an optical formula has minimum requirements for front element size)

We know nothing about the bit rate, the codecs used or any of the other important parts. The non zoom will likely be a f/2.2 (mavic is) or f/2.8 (air) but thats about it and again means nothing without the other parts.
Will it have a fixed or variable aperture?

The drone size

No details given on it

Flight autonomy/Active Track 2.0

OK so what is active track 2? What new features does it have? What are the differences to v1?

Omnidirectional obstacle avoidance
APAS

Infrared or visual or ultrasonic? How far to they work. Plenty of unknowns.

So we dont actually know ANYTHING thats needed to assess how useful or how much of an improvement any model will be.

Yes, twice now it's been acknowledged that minor details are still unknown. The ONLY thing I am disagreeing with is you made the claim that "ALL" the specs other than the models have yet to leak, and I am just saying that is absolutely not true based on what DJI themselves have already confirmed. We have some major, headline specs confirmed by DJI, therefore what you are asserting is not true. That's all I am saying.

You will never get a certain level of granular detail until the official announcement, and you don't find out if it all actually works until reviews come out, but key specs such as sensor size, drone size (we do know how big it is unless you missed the photos of the drone with people in them for scale), flight time, speed, range and other headline features are all known and confirmed by DJI. That's good enough for most people until the official announcement - you can't buy it before then anyway. If someone is in the market, we now have more than enough information to know whether or not it's worth holding off until MP2 is released, or go with something currently available - that is the point. I think the 1" sensor option surprised a lot of people, and made a lot of people interested who had previously written it off (myself included when all rumors pointed to a tiny 1/1.7" sensor as the sole option). Nobody is out there saying to themselves "I think I'll just buy the Mavic Air now because I don't know the exact specification of Active Track 2" - they are looking at things like sensor size, flight time, range, size, body style, etc. You know it's not going to be worse than the existing MP or Air.

Some of the most important changes are not a case of "how much better is it than the existing MP" but rather one aircraft has it and the other doesn't (APAS, omnidirectional avoidance, 1" sensor, etc.)

As for the 1" camera spec I highly suspect it will be 24mm (FF equivalent) F2.8 like in the Phantom 4 Pro. The lens would have to be made a lot larger to match the F2.2 (almost a full stop faster) of the much smaller 1/2.3" sensor in the existing Mavic Pro while also covering the image circle of a 1" sensor. Again looking at the Phantom Pro where there is WAY more room to hang a larger camera unit, they still went with F2.8 for the 1" sensor. I can't see them putting a larger unit on the MP2, and based on the photos it doesn't look like they have. I also suspect they needed every advantage to squeeze a 1" sensor into a lens/gimbal housing that fits on the Mavic, and the only ways to do that are not make the aperture any wider than it already is, or reduce sensor size. You can also bet it will be 4K/60FPS with a 100Mbps bitrate because all current applications (even outside the drone world) of the 1" Sony sensor DJI uses maxes out at 100Mbps at that specification. DJI can't go beyond the limits of physics, so it allows us to make some pretty good predictions.

Minor details such as any information at all regarding the specs of the camera for example? Those are fairly important "minor details".

You seem overly focussed on the 1" sensor. That alone is meaningless. There are some truly mediocre 1" sensors out there.
4k/60fps/100mbps bit rate also tells us nothing. H264? HEVC? H265? Theres a vast difference in quality between that look. Its decisions like that which decided whether a device is worth buying.

Currently there is no information at all about the cameras which can help to see if its significantly better or not.

All we know is the absolute bare bones. The different models and headline specs. Absolutely no details over that.

Minor details such as any information at all regarding the specs of the camera for example? Those are fairly important "minor details".

You seem overly focussed on the 1" sensor. That alone is meaningless. There are some truly mediocre 1" sensors out there.
4k/60fps/100mbps bit rate also tells us nothing. H264? HEVC? H265? Theres a vast difference in quality between that look. Its decisions like that which decided whether a device is worth buying.

Currently there is no information at all about the cameras which can help to see if its significantly better or not.

All we know is the absolute bare bones. The different models and headline specs. Absolutely no details over that.

You keep sidestepping the point. You said that *ALL* specs are unknown except models. I disagreed and proved otherwise - that is the only point I am making. For a third time, I am agreeing that smaller details like codecs will remain unknown until launch. Those types of details, while important to some, are not make-or-break for the overwhelming majority of hobbyist customers and many of them are easy to predict with a reasonable degree of certainty based on DJI's past as well as industry standards. They are also not the types of details that typically show up in leaks and rumors.

The 1" sensor is only one piece of the puzzle, I have pointed out numerous other DJI confirmed major features aside from the sensor in my replies.

I don't think you understand certain aspects of video if you think 4k/60fps/100Mbps tell us literally "nothing". Each of those on their own are something, at the very least.

Can you point me to objective analysis on these mediocre, modern 1" sensors? To the best of my knowledge, and I follow the industry very closely, Sony is the only manufacturer of 1" sensors capable of those readouts, and after all their recent acquisitions, they are most likely the sole manufacturer of 1" sensors suitable for this kind of usage. Sony does not make a bad 1" sensor currently. You don't need additional information to know that the 1" sensor in the MP2 is going to be much better than the original MP sensor - even the Mavic Air is significantly better and it shares the same sensor size of the MP. Do you think they are going to put a 1" sensor on that aircraft, and then cripple it so badly that it performs worse than the original MP which is already below the Air in image quality? You can't possibly believe that.

that is the only point I am making. For a third time, I am agreeing that smaller details like codecs will remain unknown until launch. Those types of details, while important to some, are not make-or-break for the overwhelming majority of hobbyist customers and many of them are easy to predict with a reasonable degree of certainty based on DJI's past as well as industry standards. They are also not the types of details that typically show up in leaks and rumors.

Smaller details? You mean like ALL of the important details that allow you to judge how good or bad the drone is? Without knowing you dont know if the drone is a worthless incremental upgrade or something new and worth paying for.
Without knowing what it can actually do you have no way of deciding anything and none of the leaks tell us that.

I don't think you understand certain aspects of video if you think 4k/60fps/100Mbps tell us literally "nothing". Each of those on their own are something, at the very least.

Well its clear you don't. They tell us nothing. Without the codecs its meaningless as you have absolutely no way of gauging quality. Its half of the equation. Without the other half nobody knows.
4k/60fps at 100mbps if its the standard H264 and compression used on the current mavic will be unusable. If its HEVC or H265 it might be. And we simply don't know.

even the Mavic Air is significantly better and it shares the same sensor size of the MP.

However the air camera is limited in other ways such as the way it stabilises, lens distortion and so on that means it generally produces images slightly worse than the MP.

Do you think they are going to put a 1" sensor on that aircraft, and then cripple it so badly that it performs worse than the original MP which is already below the Air in image quality? You can't possibly believe that.

Its quite possible the upgrade wont be a MAJOR change. Is it worth splashing $2000 on a "slight" increase. You'd be a fool to gamble best on no knowledge other than "1 inch is bigger than the old one so its clearly better".
And currently thats all we have to go on.

We have no technical details what-so-ever that allow us to even begin to judge how useful the new systems might be.

People who milk to the point of making a worthless blabbing video just to give a freaking date drive me crazy.

Click bait. Don't give them a hit. Thats what they need and want for $$.

Worthless blabbing videos for a still photo of a catalogue then worthless blabbing videos when a link to a press release would be far better and more time efficient.

Its the same as all "tutorials" are now video tutorials so take 10x as long to work through and you still need to take notes. As opposed to a nicely written web or blog post with it.

Reactions: Hendero and Kilrah
"What codec" doesn't mean anything either since with the "same" codec and bitrate many cameras give better video than the MP (including the MA).
Was never a codec issue, but a processing one.

Which backs up my point - without knowing details its utterly impossible to judge the product.
And FWIW codec does have an effect as well. The standard compression rates for specific qualities and codecs are published by the creators. DJI chose to use it far under that spec on the MP.
They could do the same again.

What I mean is that video standard are "exchange" standards, 2 different h264 codec implementations can give widely different results even at the same parameters. So parameters don't mean much across devices unless they use the same encoder implementation.

One h264 encoder can give better results at 30Mbps than another at 100Mbps. Especially when the other parameters aren't quoted, and they never are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest