DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJl Mini 2 decent enough to go into the drone footage business entry level?

WaddyM

Reactions
Hi all, Is the DJl Mini 2 decent enough to go into the drone footage business entry level doing small scale jobs/tasks?

Thanks

At a stretch, yes.

But really for any commercial work, you want a Mavic Air 2 at a minimum.

The Air 2 is more capable of handling high winds, which can be quite prevalent in the UK. It is also more resistant to the cold, which again, maybe relevant for the winter months. Finally, in terms of video quality, the Air 2 performs better in poor light conditions thanks to a bigger sensor size and it has HDR and D-Cinelike shooting modes which I don't think is available on the Mini 2.

Personally I think of the Mini 2 as the apex hobby drone and the Air 2 as the entry level "serious drone".

You can certainly capture great footage on Mini 2. But the bigger you go, the more options and flexibility you got when conditions aren't perfect. For example, at the other end of the Mavic series, you can get gorgeous shots on the Mavic 2 Pro that can be mistaken for Inspire 2 footage.

Reactions: Modra
It’s a start. I have one and love it. That said, I’m also in the uk and wouldn’t rock up to a job with just a Mini2 if I was still flying for business purposes. You’ll also need insurance, both equipment and public liability. Most clients will also expect you to be qualified too, even if your drone is light enough to avoid the legal requirements. sp, you’ll need to factor that expense into it. Also, do some research first. The market for drone footage isn’t as lucrative as people think it is, and there are a lot of people looking for work, so a lot of competition.

I was lucky in that I flew drones as part of my work so I didn’t need to worry about getting clients. But, on the odd times when I tried there were at least 6-7 other people going for the same work. You can guarantee anyone else going for the same jobs as you won’t be rocking up with Mavic Minis.

Last edited:
I did plenty of jobs with my MA 1, before upgrading to the MA 2. The biggest issues were the stability of the signal and the short battery life. The short battery life was the biggest killer because I'd have to keep landing or repositioning myself due to the battery running out or the range being too small. The Mini 2 solves for both of these and has very good qulaity sensors. Most "entry-level" jobs involve doing still photography anyway. Go for it.

Reactions: hiflyer201
For video yes, for images no. Professional still shots require (IMHO) at least an one inch sensor 20 MP. The Mavic 2 Pro or Phantom 4 Pro v2 would be the choice.

For video yes, for images no. Professional still shots require (IMHO) at least an one inch sensor 20 MP. The Mavic 2 Pro or Phantom 4 Pro v2 would be the choice.
Fair take. I've done some jobs with my MA1 (its just a hobby for me, but if I can make a few bucks, great). But I'm awaiting the next Mavic Pro to get serious about it. The sensor in the M2P is far better than on the Mini or MA1/2. 12 MP is pretty low for paid work. The mechanical shutter on the Phantom is pretty enticing and makes for better video. If I hit the lottery I'll get an Inspire or Matrice.

Hi all, Is the DJl Mini 2 decent enough to go into the drone footage business entry level doing small scale jobs/tasks?

Thanks
Hello,
The Mini 2 is good to start, but later, these clients are going to want more than pictures. Build up your hours and decide how far you want to go. There are many more capable DJI drones...the sky is the limit! Best wishes.

Hello,
The Mini 2 is good to start, but later, these clients are going to want more than pictures. Build up your hours and decide how far you want to go. There are many more capable DJI drones...the sky is the limit! Best wishes.
You can land some jobs. However, many clients require at least 20 MP images. The video on the Mini 2 will suffice for most jobs. So, it really depends on the type of work you plan to do and what the client's requirements are.

Hello,
Not sure if you know, but this thread is almost 2 years old...

Reactions: MARK (LI)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi