DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I have to update the software soon?? (I've been ignoring the notification)

billem16

Reactions
I've had my MavicPro for a couple months now, definitely still a newb. The first software/firmware update popped up a couple weeks ago. I tried to let it update, but it kept saying WiFi disconnected and try again... I got frustrated after several attempts and just decided I'll do it another day. Meanwhile, I've been having fun flying it on some beach trips and just been ignoring the notification that an update is available. I'm at the point where I don't really care if there is an update available, she's still flying just fine.
But my question is... am I playing with fire if I don't update it eventually?

Also, I heard that the reason it wouldn't update originally is because I tried to do it straight from my phone connected to the drone.... whereas I should download the DJI Assistant on my computer to do the update? I'll try that eventually I guess. Any other tips on firmware updates?? Like I said, I'm yet to do one...

PS - here's a pic I took last weekend at the beach in North Carolina. Probably one of my only "cool" pics I've taken so far since having the drone lol.

Attachments

• topsail marsh2.jpg
    topsail marsh2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
All updates are optional.
If you're having fun and not having issue w/ your drone, just ignore the update.
Then again it's all up to you.

Reactions: DarkKent
Sometimes when you do an update over wifi, it can blow out your home wifi signal. Always to it hardwired thru pc, in my opinion/experience.

BUT, I would really think twice/thrice about doing an upgrade. Make sure you really want what it offers, don't do it for the sake of "latest is greatest". Not always the truth. Read about the update, what it can offer, and what it actually does to other folks. Yes, I said let them try before you do.

I would suggest, in my opinion, do not update anything, if your setup is stable, and has what you want.

Turn off wifi/cell/hotspot, whatever when you power up your ac/controller. You should control when it talks to "home", which it will try to do.

Even updating your phone/tablet can mess things up.

If it is solid now, I would leave it as is for now, until something arises, and then you may have to do an update.

I haven't updated anything on my AC/tabby/controller/batteries since I crtacked the box over a year and a half. No NFZ, no limitations to speed/distance, no quizes before I can fly, and no vid scrambling to device while flying.

Just the way it was meant to be...

I discovered when I was trying to activate my AC, connected to the pc/assistant, and when I powered up the ac/controller, the home wifi was blown out. I tried it 2 more times, then said "fasten it", and went to a lan cable to pc, all done.

For me.

I agree with post #3. A background update hosed my video feed so I had to downgrade to get it back. Then I turned off auto-updating, leave the tablet in airplane mode, ignore any update notices, and enjoy flying this way for almost a year.

Reactions: Flycaster
I agree with post #3. A background update hosed my video feed so I had to downgrade to get it back. Then I turned off auto-updating, leave the tablet in airplane mode, ignore any update notices, and enjoy flying this way for almost a year.

"Atta Boy, Luther!"

With apologies to "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken".....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+