DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need to replace stock lens ring when not using ND filter?

MiStro

Reactions
I'm pretty sure the title of my thread captures my question... If I take off my ND filter to fly at night/darker sky, is there any reason I need to put the original ring back on (considering there is no filter/plastic/glass on it? I can't think of what purpose it would serve, but I'm also new to the air...

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Rols
I'm pretty sure the title of my thread captures my question... If I take off my ND filter to fly at night/darker sky, is there any reason I need to put the original ring back on (considering there is no filter/plastic/glass on it? I can't think of what purpose it would serve, but I'm also new to the air...

Thanks in advance!
I have flown without it on but realized that the o-ring on the outer edge is exposed to dirt and moisture. It's better to just take the extra minute to place it back on to keep it clean. Just my opinion.

I have flown without it on but realized that the o-ring on the outer edge is exposed to dirt and moisture. It's better to just take the extra minute to place it back on to keep it clean. Just my opinion.

Thanks! I'll replace it for that reason.

Does the stock ring just unscrew lefty loosey? Mine seems like it's super glued on it so **** tight

Yes it does, took some effort to remove it while trying not to break anything. Some people have had success using rubber bands, i just did it by hand.

Does the stock ring just unscrew lefty loosey? Mine seems like it's super glued on it so **** tight
The gimbal is actually quite robust, but hold it securely with one hand, and use three fingers of the other to firmly grip that OEM ring.

Some have used rubber bands or gloves to improve the grip. It will come off, it just seems to require an insane amount of controlled force.

Consider replacing it with a UV filter to protect the lens from the elements when not using an ND filter.

Yeah, I've mentioned before, I tend to leave the ND I last used on, if at night/not needed I use a UV filter, just to protect the factory 'lens', Trees have sticks and twigs that can scratch after all :)

Oh I don't fly near those.. YET lol
You will ;) Also silly things like grit kicked up from lift off etc have the chance of scratching stuff.

Reactions: mad monkey
The gimbal is actually quite robust, but hold it securely with one hand, and use three fingers of the other to firmly grip that OEM ring.

Some have used rubber bands or gloves to improve the grip. It will come off, it just seems to require an insane amount of controlled force.

Consider replacing it with a UV filter to protect the lens from the elements when not using an ND filter.
Rubber band is a good idea! I used a "jar opener" rubber thingy and a very small pair of pliers with a very firm grip on the gimble. I was nervous that i was going to break something. It's crazy how tight they are on there!

If I take off my ND filter to fly at night/darker sky, is there any reason I need to put the original ring back on (considering there is no filter/plastic/glass on it? I can't think of what purpose it would serve, but I'm also new to the air...

Thanks in advance!

That ring protects the thread not only from foreign objects like dirt, but also from physical damage, like if the ringless barrel were to hit an object.

About 40 years ago, I was getting serious about photography and bought a 35 mm SLR camera. One day, I decided that I wanted to experiment with filters, but couldn’t understand why I couldn’t screw one on, even though I confirmed I had the correct size. Turns out that I had dented the lens barrel ever so slightly, but enough to prevent the filter from screwing on. Ever since I paid $$$ to get it fixed, I have always kept a filter of some kind on every lens I ever had, even if only a skylight filter. Lesson learned!

Reactions: Drone Master
You should be using the ring when you don't have a filter on - and do note it has no glass in it, it's literally just a plastic ring, but it does offer protection to the threads and front element so it's best to replace it when not using other filters.

Use a rubber glove and it will come out very easy.
After reading about lenses I figured I would give it a try. I found that the ring is screwed on, the lenses have no threads and slip snuggly onto the ring, easy setup. Now to know the different uses for the 3 I have. An ND4, ND8 and CPL.

Try a ty-wrap. The ty-wrap will exert fairly even pressure around the entire filter to lessen the chance of it becoming not round due to too much pressure on one side or the other. Plus the tail of the ty-wrap will give you some leverage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird