DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not understand .......

temperature? not really.
water freeze below 0 Celsius, so any negative number you know it is frozen.
how cold is 28F how about 10F or -10 F? how far are we below freezing?
If you ask random people in the US what temp water boils at sea level, most will not know it. In Europe, just about every person know it it is 100C.

In the medical field, it is all metric. But patients want to know their temp in Fahrenheit.
Much easier to measure things in mL.
It is easy to know when something was at 23 millimeters and now it moved to 24 mm... vs. ohsir ..your ET (endotracheal) tube was at 3/16" and now it is at 9/64", we better take a look, or should we? :)
To the 0 decimal place, Fahrenheit is actually more precise. It's almost 2 degrees Fahrenheit to 1 degree Celsius.

Reactions: anotherlab
Being an American, miles, gallons and Fahrenheit makes sense to me. But curiously, when it comes to drones I prefer the metric system.
I'll never forget our great opportunity back in the 70s, I think, when our nation tried to go metric. Overnight we changed, the gas pumps were metric and we made the effort. But there was so much protest it soon failed and everything went back to imperial. We should've made that change then. We wouldn't have so much confusion now. Now medicine uses metric. Our money has always been metric. Slowly we're changing, ever so slowly. Metric is so logical, just like our dollars. I'm trying.

Well our currency isn't completely metric.
5 pennies to a nickel, 2 nickels to a dime, 5 nickels to a quarter or two dimes and a nickel, 4 quarters to a dollar.
1 dollar
5 dollar
10 dollar
20 dollar
50 dollar
100 dollar denominations.

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
According to Google, today, only two countries have non-decimal currencies: Mauritania, where 1 ouguiya = 5 khoums, and Madagascar, where 1 ariary = 5 iraimbilanja.

The part where I have a problem is converting my Ouguiyas to Iraimbilanjas.

Good thing I'm not someone who fears change and improvement. That's why I have a watercooled abacus for such calculations.

The metric system makes sense in that the math is easier but it is as arbitrary as the imperial system. The actual definition of a metre is: "The distance travelled by light in vacuum in 1/299792458 second."

Reactions: Drgnfli
There is absolutely no reason to be using imperial measurements nowadays. I am 57, in the UK. It was a bit confusing for a year or so but its incredibly simple and clear once you take the time to learn it. Most of the rest of the world have no idea what Americans are talking when they are droning on about degF or 3/16 of whatever etc etc.

But when Americans are talking to other Americans, which occurs most of the time, they understand every pound, foot, Fahrenheit, inch, yard, ounce, mile, acre, etc. Personally, growing up with & learning our system, I take too long to recalculate to metric & I lose interest in trying to figure it out... IMHO!

The metric system makes sense in that the math is easier but it is as arbitrary as the imperial system. The actual definition of a metre is: "The distance travelled by light in vacuum in 1/299792458 second."

The base units of a measurement system have to be defined arbitrarily - there is no alternative. The S.I. base units are the kilogram, metre, second, ampere, kelvin, mole and candela. All other S.I. units are defined in terms of those base units.

The origin of the metre was actually 1/10000000 of the distance from the north pole to the equator measured along the meridian through Paris. It went through subsequent redefinitions to improve its accuracy. The basis of the imperial unit of length was used in many ancient civilizations, and is obvious of course, though highly variable, historically. Interestingly, the foot is now defined as exactly 0.3048 metres, and so arguably twice as arbitrary as the metre.

But anyway, the discussion wasn't about the definition, it was about the structure.

Usually you refer to Fahrenheit if you talk Imperial measures ... Celcius is definitely metric! (0 = freeze / 100 = boil)
I'm still using centigrade, makes more sense centa(100)grade(degrees) from. Freezing to boiling of water. Are you sure that's the exact definition of celcius. My observations indictate that centigrade or celcius is the preferred unit of chemists and physicists, Fahrenheit for doctors and weatherpeople:)

I'm sure that number isn't arbitrary.
Either that number represents something, or there was an original correlation that made sense but the new standard was to make it more precise.
Time for example in not so distant past didn't need to be super precise, perhaps microseconds was close enough. But now with GPS, it needs super precision. And thanks to GPS time being publicly available or else it wouldn't work, other sources like our cell phones can show precise time at least to the second.

I'm still using centigrade, makes more sense centa(100)grade(degrees) from. Freezing to boiling of water. Are you sure that's the exact definition of celcius. My observations indictate that centigrade or celcius is the preferred unit of chemists and physicists, Fahrenheit for doctors and weatherpeople:)

That was the original definition, but in 1954 it was redefined relative to absolute zero and the defined triple point of water. In May this year it was redefined again with absolute zero equalling exactly -273.15°C and with the new definition of the kelvin in terms of the Boltzmann Constant (where the unit 1 K is equal to 1°C). That also means that the triple point of water is no longer a defined value.

Reactions: bbooty
Might have to do with 100F...I (as a Swede using Celcius degrees, Anders Celsius - Wikipedia) have learned that 100F is the normal (roughly) body temperature, hence why the doctors might prefer it, and also how I can remember how much it is. Anyhow, entertaining discussion in this thread. :)
Average body temp is actually said to be 98.6F. 100F may be the borderline between high side of normal versus a fever indicating an illness.

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones