DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not understand .......

You are not restricted to integers in either unit though. Of course most devices used to measure temperature are only accurate to ± > 1°C or so anyway.
I was talking more about people reporting the weather. If I say it's 68° right now and it will be 70° later today, that comes across "cleaner" (to me) than the saying it's 20° right now and later it will be 21.1° later today. But in terms of actual measurements, ± 1°C is more than enough for most things not involving chemical reactions.

Reactions: Drgnfli
In the real world it's a good idea to just learn what's needed for your job requirements. It's too bad when a kid just out of school tries to get a job in construction here in the US and can't even read inches and feet on a tape measure.

My gripe is with Pyrex measuring cups. While holding with the left hand, back in the day the imperial units were on the front, but buy a new one today and the metric is on the front. If I pick a newly made cup up with my left hand, bamm, the metric system is staring me in the face causing me to set the cup down and use my right hand to read how many cups of this or that I need...true but hope you know I'm just joking ?

Reactions: Clipper707
As an American who spends most of my time overseas, and more than a decade as a Marine, I've learned to think in both Imperial and Metric.

Also, we Americans use the metric system more than we realize. We buy our gas in gallons, but our big, obesity-causing soda bottles are in liters. Most cars have speedometers displaying both MPH and KPH and engine displacement is in liters. My Mazda's tires are sized 195/50R15. Yep, 195 millimeter width on 15 inch diameter wheels. There are numerous other examples outside of automobiles.

I had a fun conversation with an Argentinian guy. He loved Americans and thought we were so smart. It was me who brought up the metric system and he jumped on that. "No, that's one of the reasons Americans are so smart! You're all doing math all the time. No one else has gone to the moon."

Objectively speaking, if we had no system and had to choose between metric and miles, one would have to be an idiot to select Imperial.

1574468342416.png

Truth is, I hated it in high school ....... I also hated it when liberal President Carter tried to shove it down our throats.
and I STILL hate it BUT...... in Vietnam, I loved those 5.56mm rounds?

Truth is, I hated it in high school ....... I also hated it when liberal President Carter tried to shove it down our throats.

That's where I am today, but I'm here without my 5.56 launcher.

I'm curious though - what, exactly, do you dislike about it? And you used the word "hate", which seems rather incongruous applied to something as objective and inoffensive as a system of units.

Reactions: bbooty
I always configure mine for imperial or "American" :) however metric is a more universal measure. I have become a fan of metric fasteners and wrenches and even though I am a senior I still think getting fluent with metric and the spanish language are two goals I still wish to achieve.

Reactions: tleonhar
I always configure mine for imperial or "American" :) however metric is a more universal measure. I have become a fan of metric fasteners and wrenches and even though I am a senior I still think getting fluent with metric and the spanish language are two goals I still wish to achieve.
More universal...... yes
but I still hate it ???

You mean 223? ?
What I do not like is my van has a mixture of both imperial and metric throughout the vehicle. Stuff breaks when off roading and I have to carry double the tools for making repairs. I can look at a 1/2, 9/16 or 5/8 bolt and guess correct most of the time but then find it's one of them MM bolts. Tsk Tsk.

Pretty much the world follows what America does
If you mean people are interested in what level of moronic the real estate salesman in the white house will do next? Yeah we follow the news on tv. But for everything else, the old US of A is rapidly becoming irrelevant.

Murica. (mod Removed )yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wished we had ditched Imperial units for the Metric system when we had the chance 40+ years ago. But... the temperature is more precise in F° than in C°.

temperature? not really.
water freeze below 0 Celsius, so any negative number you know it is frozen.
how cold is 28F how about 10F or -10 F? how far are we below freezing?
If you ask random people in the US what temp water boils at sea level, most will not know it. In Europe, just about every person know it it is 100C.

In the medical field, it is all metric. But patients want to know their temp in Fahrenheit.
Much easier to measure things in mL.
It is easy to know when something was at 23 millimeters and now it moved to 24 mm... vs. ohsir ..your ET (endotracheal) tube was at 3/16" and now it is at 9/64", we better take a look, or should we? :)

Reactions: bbooty
You mean 223? ?
What I do not like is my van has a mixture of both imperial and metric throughout the vehicle. Stuff breaks when off roading and I have to carry double the tools for making repairs. I can look at a 1/2, 9/16 or 5/8 bolt and guess correct most of the time but then find it's one of them MM bolts. Tsk Tsk.
1/2=13mm
9/16=14mm
5/8= 15.5 mm :) :)

In aviation, most of the standard units of measure are imperial:
  • Airspeed: Knots (nautical miles per hour)
  • Distances: Nautical miles
  • Altitude: Feet
  • Fuel: Pounds
  • Temperature: Celsius
Again, most of the rest of the avaition world has moved toward metric. Your list is true for the US, but for the rest of the world the list is:
  • Airspeed: Knots
  • Distances: Nautical miles (nautical miles are a closer match to minutes of arc on a chart)
  • Altitude: Feet (because they give round number flight levels), or metres in some areas.
  • Fuel: Kilograms (delivered in Litres)
  • Temperature: Celsius
  • Visibility: Metres
  • Runway length: Metres

Reactions: tleonhar and bbooty
American citizens so obsessed with using metric instead of normal US Imperial. I really wonder if it gives a warm wet feeling down the trouser leg........ ??‍♂️????‍♂️
I’m just an old American traditionalist I guess and proud of it.
Are you an American traditionalist as opposed to an American revolutionary?
The Imperial in Imperial units represents the British Empire. Sure the gallons are US gallons now, but the system is a British Imperial system.
Are you defending a system imposed by an empire which the States fought a revolutionary war to break away from?

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
Try been English...

we measure everything in METERS but travel in our cars in MILES.

we get a PINT glass in the pub but if we buy from a super market we buy 500ML cans.

we fly at FT but measure our mountains in METERS

we use HALF INCH TAP CONNECTORS but use 15MM pipe to connect to.

we fill our cars up in LITRES but use MPG

still complaining ........

Reactions: Clipper707
Hey, if us Americans want to use a measurement system that was started in part by people who wrote with clay tablets, believed 12 gods existed in the sky, and were part of the bronze age, let us! Just hide your snickers when we say we are the most advanced country in the world!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard