DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not understand .......

Prmath

Reactions
American citizens so obsessed with using metric instead of normal US Imperial. I really wonder if it gives a warm wet feeling down the trouser leg........ ??‍♂️????‍♂️
I’m just an old American traditionalist I guess and proud of it.

American citizens so obsessed with using metric instead of normal US Imperial. I really wonder if it gives a warm wet feeling down the trouser leg........ ??‍♂️????‍♂️
Do you mean on this forum? If so, it’s an international forum with members from all over the planet. America is the only country using US Imperial, so it only makes sense to use the more widely used metric system.

The metric system is used in every country on earth except three of them: Myanmar (Burma), the United States, and Liberia . If we are going to venture out into the world . . . we'd better get on board with it. To me . . . it is a more logical system. Easier to calculate and simplify. Decimals versus fractions. I only use Imperial here in the USA but I understand metrics. I frequently deal with it in construction projects.

The metric system is used in every country on earth except three of them: Myanmar (Burma), the United States, and Liberia . If we are going to venture out into the world . . . we'd better get on board with it. To me . . . it is a more logical system. Easier to calculate and simplify. Decimals versus fractions. I only use Imperial here in the USA but I understand metrics. I frequently deal with it in construction projects.
I believe the US Military use the metric system. Is that correct?

In aviation, most of the standard units of measure are imperial:
  • Airspeed: Knots (nautical miles per hour)
  • Distances: Nautical miles
  • Altitude: Feet
  • Fuel: Pounds
  • Temperature: Celsius

• Temperature: Celsius
Usually you refer to Fahrenheit if you talk Imperial measures ... Celcius is definitely metric! (0 = freeze / 100 = boil)

being old i too prefer imperial ,and use that setting in the app when i fly my mavs, for me a 150 ft height reading is easier to understand than 50 meters

being old i too prefer imperial ,and use that setting in the app when i fly my mavs, for me a 150 ft height reading is easier to understand than 50 meters
old man mavic is young on the inside (what counts) also I really feel sorry for anyone who crosses old man mavic

Im-not-Old5l3X9.jpg

Being an American, miles, gallons and Fahrenheit makes sense to me. But curiously, when it comes to drones I prefer the metric system.

And what units of measurement do your scientists, doctors and military predominantly employ? I’m sure they can happily apply both if when necessary. Surely you can acknowledge there can be instances where a necessity to convert between systems introduces unnecessary complexity and could lead to an error producing an undesirable outcome.

old man mavic is young on the inside (what counts) also I really feel sorry for anyone who crosses old man mavic

Im-not-Old5l3X9.jpg
@djidroneservice thanks for your comments, i like your young on the inside ,its the rest of me thats attached to my head that lets the side down

for me a 150 ft height reading is easier to understand than 50 meters

Can see your issue OMM, 150' is actually 45.72m ? ?

My early years were with imperial, until about 1970 when Australia slowly converted to metric. . . so went through the change in late-ish primary school, was fairly painless as I probably had very little need for it in those younger years (what the heck do 8yos measure !! lol).

I'm glad for metric, being in the glass industry, millimeters is a far more easy dimension to get right than fractions of an inch, but even with mm people still get it wrong !!
My glass cutting motto 'Measure twice, cut once', applies to everything in a handymans life.

@djidroneservice thanks for your comments, i like your young on the inside ,its the rest of me thats attached to my head that lets the side down

Keep that going, the young on the inside part . . . it does help with all the other stuff, and what the heck, if (when) you leave Earth at least you've done it in style and doing what you love to the end.

And what units of measurement do your scientists, doctors and military predominantly employ? I’m sure they can happily apply both if when necessary. Surely you can acknowledge there can be instances where a necessity to convert between systems introduces unnecessary complexity and could lead to an error producing an undesirable outcome.
maybe for posts that are on this forum that come from many parts of the world,we just accept that there are going to be times when measurements temps weights etc are going to be used then it would be better if only one system was used in any one post not a mixture as we get now

Reactions: Lastrexking
Can see your issue OMM, 150' is actually 45.72m ? ?

My early years were with imperial, until about 1970 when Australia slowly converted to metric. . . so went through the change in late-ish primary school, was fairly painless as I probably had very little need for it in those younger years (what the heck do 8yos measure !! lol).

I'm glad for metric, being in the glass industry, millimeters is a far more easy dimension to get right than fractions of an inch, but even with mm people still get it wrong !!
My glass cutting motto 'Measure twice, cut once', applies to everything in a handymans life.

Keep that going, the young on the inside part . . . it does help with all the other stuff, and what the heck, if (when) you leave Earth at least you've done it in style and doing what you love to the end.
thanks @ MAvic_-South_Oz 45.72m would have absolutely no meaning to me

maybe for posts that are on this forum that come from many parts of the world,we just accept that there are going to be times when measurements temps weights etc are going to be used then it would be better if only one system was used in any one post not a mixture as we get now
It’s not an issue for me- I will happily perform the conversion where I need to. What I find interesting is anyone might expect that a less universally employed system should be the preference. That is arguably the obsession to the extent one might be identified.

i did not mean that only one system be used for all posts in a thread
but there are many posts that have i was 500m from home at 200 ft when, thats what i meant about keeping to one system

i did not mean that only one system be used for all posts in a thread
but there are many posts that have i was 500m from home at 200 ft when, thats what i meant about keeping to one system

That way everyone understands part of the story...

I am an American who lived in Australia for 10 years. There were a few instances where the metric system felt particularly awkward to me:

1) When getting a haircut: "Just take a couple centimeters off the top"
2) When shopping for clothes: "What is my waist size in centimeters? I had no idea!"

There were others but those instances I vividly remember.

I believe the US Military use the metric system. Is that correct?
Excellent point! Since most 'skirmishes' take place over there . . . I'll have to look into that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan