DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not understand .......

I believe the US Military use the metric system. Is that correct?
yep, its crazy. When working on military aircraft, American is metric and British is imperial. And if you have a metric airctaft with imperial engine, you double the amount of tools required. A real pain in the ***

yep, its crazy. When working on military aircraft, American is metric and British is imperial. And if you have a metric airctaft with imperial engine, you double the amount of tools required. A real pain in the ***
Out if interest what happens with respect to replacement of critical fluids. Is there an opportunity to get something wrong? One of the great things about metric is a cube with internal dimensions or 10cm will be 1000ml which is 1000g (1kg) of water. We can quickly arrive at equivalent weight for the same volume of other fluids simply by knowing the specific gravity. Contrast that to fl oz, pints, US or imperial gallons. Does cu inches/feet even translate directly to an imperial measure? To the extent it might it would seem it wouldn’t be as simple as working in metric units.

Reactions: Peio64270
Out if interest what happens with respect to replacement of critical fluids. Is there an opportunity to get something wrong? One of the great things about metric is a cube with internal dimensions or 10cm will be 1000ml which is 1000g (1kg) of water. We can quickly arrive at equivalent weight for the same volume of other fluids simply by knowing the specific gravity. Contrast that to fl oz, pints, US or imperial gallons. Does cu inches/feet even translate directly to an imperial measure? To the extent it might it would seem it wouldn’t be as simple as working in metric units.

It can be a very expensive error:

well gentlemen i think we can all agree that there are different systems at work depending where we live ,and as long as in the end everything measures up then we will all be happy

Yep, welcome to the world of aviation

Reactions: old man mavic
There is absolutely no reason to be using imperial measurements nowadays. I am 57, in the UK. It was a bit confusing for a year or so but its incredibly simple and clear once you take the time to learn it. Most of the rest of the world have no idea what Americans are talking when they are droning on about degF or 3/16 of whatever etc etc.

Saw a construction crew inspecting the steps to our high school.
One measure horizontal on the step and the other vertical and checking the intersect point.
Being that I have built home made drones and converted a lot of metric, I was going to say mm but said "Getting it down to the last 32nd of an inch?"
He replied "mm actually. It is more universal and if you convert, you always lose a micro fraction."

Why not make the final jump USA?
After all, a lot of people here gripe about "the missing 10mm" :D

The metric system is used in every country on earth except three of them: Myanmar (Burma), the United States, and Liberia . If we are going to venture out into the world . . . we'd better get on board with it. To me . . . it is a more logical system. Easier to calculate and simplify. Decimals versus fractions. I only use Imperial here in the USA but I understand metrics. I frequently deal with it in construction projects.
While we can argue back and forth on metric vs. us systems, I think we all can agree the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road.
;)
left is right and right is wrong.?

Do you mean on this forum? If so, it’s an international forum with members from all over the planet. America is the only country using US Imperial, so it only makes sense to use the more widely used metric system.

"More widely used" -- I guess it depends on how you define that.

It would be interesting to generate some statistics of the members registered in this forum to see what is the "most widely used" measurement system simply based on those members.

The metric system is used in every country on earth except three of them: Myanmar (Burma), the United States, and Liberia . If we are going to venture out into the world . . . we'd better get on board with it. To me . . . it is a more logical system. Easier to calculate and simplify. Decimals versus fractions. I only use Imperial here in the USA but I understand metrics. I frequently deal with it in construction projects.
No thank you “Proud to be an American”
That way everyone understands part of the story...
not those Americans like myself who don’t no it and doesn’t want to. It’s nice to see that this doesn’t matter as much to thoseAmericans who use it.

American citizens so obsessed with using metric instead of normal US Imperial. I really wonder if it gives a warm wet feeling down the trouser leg........ ??‍♂️????‍♂️
I’m just an old American traditionalist I guess and proud of it.
It’s the way of the world mate, it’s an international forum

In aviation, most of the standard units of measure are imperial:
  • Airspeed: Knots (nautical miles per hour)
  • Distances: Nautical miles
  • Altitude: Feet
  • Fuel: Pounds
  • Temperature: Celsius
And why do the aviators here do not do the same?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive