DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not understand .......

We have countries driving on the wrong side of the road steering wheel on the wrong side of the car ...( Mod Removed Langage) there hurricanes even spin the wrong way

Last edited by a moderator:
not those Americans like myself who don’t no it and doesn’t want to. It’s nice to see that this doesn’t matter as much to thoseAmericans who use it.

Also note that the entire control and logging systems on these aircraft are in metric so, when log files get analyzed, metric is the natural system to use. I usually convert key parameters to imperial when working with US pilots, just for additional clarity.
Pretty much the world follows what America does

This thread is rather conclusive evidence that they don't.

Reactions: Lastrexking
It’s not an issue for me- I will happily perform the conversion where I need to. What I find interesting is anyone might expect that a less universally employed system should be the preference. That is arguably the obsession to the extent one might be identified.
Was good enough for the last few hundred years here.

Excellent point! Since most 'skirmishes' take place over there . . . I'll have to look into that.
Military. The U.S. military uses metric measurementsextensively to ensure interoperability with allied forces, particularly NATO Standardization Agreements (STANAG). ... The Navy and Air Force continue to measure distance in nautical miles and speed in knots; these units are now accepted for use with SI by the BIPM.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
The metric system is used in every country on earth except three of them: Myanmar (Burma), the United States, and Liberia . If we are going to venture out into the world . . . we'd better get on board with it. To me . . . it is a more logical system. Easier to calculate and simplify. Decimals versus fractions. I only use Imperial here in the USA but I understand metrics. I frequently deal with it in construction projects.
It’s nice to know three countries got it right

And they still use them even to the point of saying “Horse Power”

So you eschewed motor vehicles and still drive a horse?
I guess my point is at least if it’s good enough to still use in aviation here and this hobby is just that than why not.

No one is telling you not to use it. But the imperial system of measurements is basically worthless in all multi-unit problems in science and engineering, because the products and quotients of values generally don't have simple appropriate units. That makes it very difficult and error prone to use. The metric (specifically S.I. version) is dimensionally consistent, supports just a few basic units, and is easy to error check.

No one is telling you not to use it. But the imperial system of measurements is basically worthless in all multi-unit problems in science and engineering, because the products and quotients of values generally don't have simple appropriate units. That makes it very difficult and error prone to use. The metric (specifically S.I. version) is dimensionally consistent, supports just a few basic units, and is easy to error check.
Then why is it still used in aviation

350 of them all at once....lol

Then why is it still used in aviation

Inertia? Lack of need? Changing the unit system across the entire aviation industry at once would be difficult and expensive. And the main disadvantages of the imperial system that I listed above are not really applicable to the few basic aviation measurements.

Reactions: bbooty
Inertia? Lack of need? Changing the unit system across the entire aviation industry at once would be difficult and expensive. And the main disadvantages of the imperial system that I listed above are not really applicable to the few basic aviation measurements.
Guess I’m just old school who doesn’t like change... guess I need to read Metric System for Dummies.

In aviation, most of the standard units of measure are imperial:
  • Airspeed: Knots (nautical miles per hour)
  • Distances: Nautical miles
  • Altitude: Feet
  • Fuel: Pounds
  • Temperature: Celsius

Nautical mile, knots and Celsius have nothing to do with "imperial" units.
nM has the same logical base as time measurements (the lenght of 1 min. arc in latitude, knowing that 1° is divided in 60 minutes and that the total earth circumference totalise 360°) and it was very useful in navigation purposes before GPS. It was rounded from 1852.3m to 1852m in 1929. I would be curious to know what is this distance expressed in imperial units, even when rounded :cool:

"More widely used" -- I guess it depends on how you define that.

It would be interesting to generate some statistics of the members registered in this forum to see what is the "most widely used" measurement system simply based on those members.
Well, three countries still use different versions of the imperial system. The rest of the world uses metric. I wasn’t talking about the forum membership, but the planet in general.

Having been on this earth, Minnesota born and raised for 70 years now, I'll rather metric any day. Back when I used to drink, I could buy a liter of brandy, 750ml bottle of wine etc. Our local Chevy dealer sells cars and trucks with engines of various liters displacement. And when I'm on that airplane, when I wanted a drink, they poured a 50ml bottle of liquor in a glass and topped it off with pop. When my electric bill comes, I'm charged for the kilowatts I used. This old buck is more than happy to use the standard metric system. BTW I can even drive in Japan on the left with a car with right hand drive.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk